Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Haven’t really followed Newton’s recruitment closely, but kid reminds me a lot of Matt Moyer. Plays hard, not a great shooter. His shooting stroke is pretty identical to Moyer’s as well. Hopefully his game translates better.

Haven’t really followed Newton’s recruitment closely, but kid reminds me a lot of Matt Moyer. Plays hard, not a great shooter. His shooting stroke is pretty identical to Moyer’s as well. Hopefully his game translates better.

Seems like a more fluid athlete to me.

Seems like a more fluid athlete to me.
Would agree on that. He also seems more physically developed. Not knocking the kid at all, just making an observation on a small sample size of what I have seen.

That's who i was thinking of this morning, and had a senior moment and could only remember Matt's first name... Derp. Yeah, i hope his career goes a bit better.

I don't understand why JB is taking this guy.

Why? What’s the problem?
I guess that his problem is that Woody Newton reminds him of Matt Moyer. Remember Matt Moyer, the Connecticut High School player of the year his senior year and redshirted and played decent for Syracuse while not hurt. Unfortunately, he was not an offensive dynamo.

Some people like to dwell on perceived negatives instead of the potential shortfalls a recruit may have. Not all players are Carmelo Anthony.

I guess that his problem is that Woody Newton reminds him of Matt Moyer. Remember Matt Moyer, the Connecticut High School player of the year his senior year and redshirted and played decent for Syracuse while not hurt. Unfortunately, he was not an offensive dynamo.

Some people like to dwell on perceived negatives instead of the potential shortfalls a recruit may have. Not all players are Carmelo Anthony.
I never said we shouldn’t take Newton, I simply said he reminds me of Matt Moyer. I am all for grabbing every top 100 player that wants to be here.

I’d be lying if I said I am not less enthusiastic about the project type players with weird jump shots. The last 5 years of offensive struggles have really made me cautious towards recruiting athletes who can’t shoot. Andre Jackson would be the exception because he is an athletic freak who can do many other things.

But Newton is orange, and I’m going to root for the guy. Just worried about how his game will translate when he can’t out athletic everyone on the court.

I never said we shouldn’t take Newton, I simply said he reminds me of Matt Moyer. I am all for grabbing every top 100 player that wants to be here.

I’d be lying if I said I am not less enthusiastic about the project type players with weird jump shots. The last 5 years of offensive struggles have really made me cautious towards recruiting athletes who can’t shoot. Andre Jackson would be the exception because he is an athletic freak who can do many other things.

But Newton is orange, and I’m going to root for the guy. Just worried about how his game will translate when he can’t out athletic everyone on the court.

If he’s athletic and a hustler and a guy who does the dirty work, I think I’ll love him.

I would’ve loved Moyer if he was more athletic and could’ve done things like...catch the ball without traveling. His hustle and effort was helpful.

However I do think a forward who can light it up from 3 becomes important for the following class, once Hughes is gone.

We’ll certainly have plenty of shooting in our backcourt for the next 3 years.

If he’s athletic and a hustler and a guy who does the dirty work, I think I’ll love him.

I would’ve loved Moyer if he was more athletic and could’ve done things like...catch the ball without traveling. His hustle and effort was helpful.

However I do think a forward who can light it up from 3 becomes important for the following class, once Hughes is gone.

We’ll certainly have plenty of shooting in our backcourt for the next 3 years.

He could become a Damone Brown kind of player - a lanky forward who starts out a bit awkward, like a baby deer, but he kept working hard and added skills over time, until he was a star as a senior. I could totally see Woody Newton being that kind of player for us.

I'm really excited about every time someone doesn't like a forward we get they compare him to Matt Moyer. It will probably happen for the next decade at a minimum. Woody is a much better athlete than Moyer. His laterally movement and jumping ability are far better. He is also a much better ball handler. Woody needs to improve his shooting I agree but Moyer had more problems than just shooting.

I'm really excited about every time someone doesn't like a forward we get they compare him to Matt Moyer. It will probably happen for the next decade at a minimum. Woody is a much better athlete than Moyer. His laterally movement and jumping ability are far better. He is also a much better ball handler. Woody needs to improve his shooting I agree but Moyer had more problems than just shooting.
Moyer was apparently a nice kid and a great student but he was limited as a player and seemed to lack a good work ethic. His conditioning was in question and some felt he enjoyed being a campus celebrity more than grinding to become the best player he could be. I’m with cuseinseattle, this lazy comparison needs to be retired.

It's kinda like how every center we recruited for a while was compared to Sean Williams.

Moyer was apparently a nice kid and a great student but he was limited as a player and seemed to lack a good work ethic. His conditioning was in question and some felt he enjoyed being a campus celebrity more than grinding to become the best player he could be. I’m with cuseinseattle, this lazy comparison needs to be retired.

I criticised moyer a lot but i dont think its fair to call him lazy and question his work ethic. Unless you have actual knowledge of that, that is a BS thing to post.

I criticised moyer a lot but i dont think its fair to call him lazy and question his work ethic. Unless you have actual knowledge of that, that is a BS thing to post.
Agreed. People I trust up there told me that. More than one.

I would’ve loved Moyer if he was more athletic and could’ve done things like...stay at Syracuse and develop into a senior (or junior, or even sophomore).

Fixed.

Count me as someone who's not a fan of so many recent transfers. More often than not, our four-year guys wind up as decent contributors. There's a reason Boeheim recruited them in the first place.

Agreed. People I trust up there told me that. More than one.

I follow him on social media. He seems to work very hard. I think the “celebrity” comment is probably more of a reflection of him seemingly being a very kind person. Sometimes its not a reflection of an ego when someone gets attention, rather just being a nice guy.

His limitations on the basketball court are much more innate. He really didnt do anything well outside of rebounding and has a terribly flat shot. He can dunk but he can’t create anything. He was way overrated as a recruit and surprised the staff didnt see that during the recruitment process.

I'm honestly not sure who to compare Woody to. He is a kid that can defend and hustle but is also athletic. I have seen him to put back dunks off of perimeter shots which something Matt Moyer and other kids who aren't great athletes can't do. I think he already has good size and weight for his age and has a pretty good handle. He also is not afraid of contact. He kind of remind me of CJ Fair a little although he doesn't have CJ's mid range game. Also his perimeter shooting looks a lot better than it did a year ago in my opinion. I'm not saying he is a good shooter but it has gotten better.

He was 6'8" but was not a guy that could jump very high so that is probably why you thought he was shorter

Pretty good first jump but very slow-twitch and mediocre on the second leap, IIRC. Played shorter than a lot of Syracuse forwards because of that. Like the anti- Wesley Johnson.

I follow him on social media. He seems to work very hard. I think the “celebrity” comment is probably more of a reflection of him seemingly being a very kind person. Sometimes its not a reflection of an ego when someone gets attention, rather just being a nice guy.

His limitations on the basketball court are much more innate. He really didnt do anything well outside of rebounding and has a terribly flat shot. He can dunk but he can’t create anything. He was way overrated as a recruit and surprised the staff didnt see that during the recruitment process.
JG to be clear I never heard a bad thing about him as a person, on the contrary i heard he is a terrific kid who reflected well on the university. But I did hear that people were concerned he was more about social media and having fun being a player than he was about being in the gym and getting better.