Class of 2016 - PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn

Boy, I'm not sure I like the idea of another Jonny Flynn. Let me explain that: if you look at the program over the past 8 years or so, there is a dramatic shift that occurred and the pivot point was Jonny Flynn. No doubt, he was a great player, but he wasn't the right player for Boeheim and coach realized it. MCW was the anti-Flynn in physical size and in some ways playing style and that is the player coach needs. Long, athletic, and skilled playmaker with a step to the rim. Of course, on the defensive side of the ball, those type of PGs supercharge JB's system.

Flynn, was individually a skilled offensive player but we accomplished virtually nothing with him on the team. I say that in the terms we are thinking now. We want to compete for ACC titles and Elite 8+ type tournament results. A backcourt of Flynn, Devendorf (way better than Cooney), and Rautins got to the Sweet 16 but were decimated when they got there.

From a program progression aspect - a move to a Flynn-like player is a step backwards. At least as long as Boeheim is the coach. Battle was freaking perfect. TB and JB were a match made in heaven if you ask me. Bottom line - get Gilbert and we'll probably have more fun watching the regular season but we're not getting past the Sweet 16 (just like Flynn).

Boy, I'm not sure I like the idea of another Jonny Flynn. Let me explain that: if you look at the program over the past 8 years or so, there is a dramatic shift that occurred and the pivot point was Jonny Flynn. No doubt, he was a great player, but he wasn't the right player for Boeheim and coach realized it. MCW was the anti-Flynn in physical size and in some ways playing style and that is the player coach needs. Long, athletic, and skilled playmaker with a step to the rim. Of course, on the defensive side of the ball, those type of PGs supercharge JB's system.

Flynn, was individually a skilled offensive player but we accomplished virtually nothing with him on the team. I say that in the terms we are thinking now. We want to compete for ACC titles and Elite 8+ type tournament results. A backcourt of Flynn, Devendorf (way better than Cooney), and Rautins got to the Sweet 16 but were decimated when they got there.

From a program progression aspect - a move to a Flynn-like player is a step backwards. At least as long as Boeheim is the coach. Battle was freaking perfect. TB and JB were a match made in heaven if you ask me. Bottom line - get Gilbert and we'll probably have more fun watching the regular season but we're not getting past the Sweet 16 (just like Flynn).

System is everything. Gilbert is out of central casting for a UConn guard, like Ricky Moore, Talik Brown, Kemba, Boatshow or Bazz.

sdhusky said:
System is everything. Gilbert is out of central casting for a UConn guard, like Ricky Moore, Talik Brown, Kemba, Boatshow or Bazz.

He's going to Louisville.

Simmons may not decide for a long time. He's in no rush.

?????? What makes you say that? Thornton and Battle have made decisions? Please tell why you think that? If he delays it's about Duke and I don't think they are in the picture anymore. What have you heard?

ORRange said:
?????? What makes you say that? Thornton and Battle have made decisions? Please tell why you think that? If he delays it's about Duke and I don't think they are in the picture anymore. What have you heard?

Read recently that it could drag out to next spring.

Read recently that it could drag out to next spring.
WHY? It's Ga.,NC, or Su I've heard. Kentucky and Duke are out. He doesn't have to wait now. Where'd you hear that?

ORRange said:
WHY? It's Ga.,NC, or Su I've heard. Kentucky and Duke are out. He doesn't have to wait now. Where'd you hear that?

http://syracuse.At their request, t...king-down-syracuse-s-pg-options-in-2016?s=185

He's going to Louisville.

That would be another more obvious "style" fit and could likely happen.

I think Gilbert (along with VJ King) is the highest priority for Ollie and he does seem to have a good relationship with his mom and his coach.

All 3 programs are on TV a lot but I could see him pick UConn over UofL because UConn has a better track record with guards in the NBA and Ollie certainly knows what it takes to get to that level. Also, with Gibbs (assuming he commits) being only a 1 year guy, there is immediate playing time - not as sure at UofL. Plus UConn was there first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to any of the 3 programs recruiting him or even a TX swooping in for him. He will be coveted.

Just not sure I can agree with this. Jonny Flynn was very good at SU. That was a 28 win team his soph year at SU...most wins in a season since 6 years prior.

And of course they lost in the Sweet 16 that year...some guy named Blake Griffin put up 30 freaking points while shooting 800% & grabbing 14 rebounds!

(Also, some guy named Tony Crocker went for 28 points while shooting 545% from 3pt. UGH.)

In fact, Oklahoma then lost to UNC, who then went on to win the whole damn thing. So being a #3 seed in a bracket with #2 seed Oklahoma (with Blake Griffin) & #1 seed & eventual National Champs UNC and losing in Sweet 16 is nothing to be mad at, IMO.

High scorer for SU in that game? You guessed it...Jonny Flynn (22 pts while shooting 563% and 6 assists).

Yes, I agree that SU has really gone away from PGs that resemble Flynn physically ever since, and I don't necessarily agree that's a bad thing either (love those long guards defending zone up top), but I also would love me some 6-foot spark plug type PG who drives the lane like his hair is on fire & posterizes dudes with crazy dunks.

It's all a trade off. Trading some defense for offense maybe.

Just not sure I can agree with this. Jonny Flynn was very good at SU. That was a 28 win team his soph year at SU...most wins in a season since 6 years prior.

And of course they lost in the Sweet 16 that year...some guy named Blake Griffin put up 30 freaking points while shooting 800% & grabbing 14 rebounds!

(Also, some guy named Tony Crocker went for 28 points while shooting 545% from 3pt. UGH.)

In fact, Oklahoma then lost to UNC, who then went on to win the whole damn thing. So being a #3 seed in a bracket with #2 seed Oklahoma (with Blake Griffin) & #1 seed & eventual National Champs UNC and losing in Sweet 16 is nothing to be mad at, IMO.

High scorer for SU in that game? You guessed it...Jonny Flynn (22 pts while shooting 563% and 6 assists).

Yes, I agree that SU has really gone away from PGs that resemble Flynn physically ever since, and I don't necessarily agree that's a bad thing either (love those long guards defending zone up top), but I also would love me some 6-foot spark plug type PG who drives the lane like his hair is on fire & posterizes dudes with crazy dunks.

I definitely agree Jonny was excellent and was a fun player to watch. And he brought a ton of publicity to Syracuse, because he excited the media as well. Running into Blake Griffin, yes of course that a factor, but I think it was Crocker who beat us and I don't think we've seen a guy go nuts like that with an MCW out top. There was also the fact that Jonny never bought into the zone - he constantly pressed JB to switch to man. Maybe that had more to do with things than his physical size - but when the team leader doesn't buy into key concepts of the team's foundations, your success is instantly limited. Anyway - JB made a concerted effort to double down on the zone and to staff with people capable and willing to make it a weapon after the Flynn era. I think coach needs that for the team to achieve maximum success.

I definitely agree Jonny was excellent and was a fun player to watch. And he brought a ton of publicity to Syracuse, because he excited the media as well. Running into Blake Griffin, yes of course that a factor, but I think it was Crocker who beat us and I don't think we've seen a guy go nuts like that with an MCW out top. There was also the fact that Jonny never bought into the zone - he constantly pressed JB to switch to man. Maybe that had more to do with things than his physical size - but when the team leader doesn't buy into key concepts of the team's foundations, your success is instantly limited. Anyway - JB made a concerted effort to double down on the zone and to staff with people capable and willing to make it a weapon after the Flynn era. I think coach needs that for the team to achieve maximum success.
Houston - I disagree that JB has doubled down on the zone. I think if JB has his preference he would stock his team with good offensive players who are long and lean - the MCW model and what should have been Battle. But I think JB looks to go offense first. I know it hasn't panned out recently, but I still believe that is his preference. And if players are on the same offensive tier, then the long player that fits the zone is taken. I think SU's recruiting has increased and out of the top tier JB has been able to pluck the longer player - like Malachi. But if unable to get the longer player, like Battle, I believe JB will go for the more offensively talented type like Gilbert over a lesser offensively talented zone type like Heurter.

After Johnny we have seen DC2, Cooney, and KJ2 - all examples of offense over zone.

I feel as though Gilbert would have no problem sliding into the zone. A 2-3 zone is meant to be a defense that works as a unit rather than the every man for himself style of man-to-man. If Gilbert is a better defender when he is out pressuring the perimeter, then why not let him do that and have the other guys in the zone adjust accordingly? I know that JB likes to recruit length for his zone, but I don't ever think that should get in the way of picking up a solid player because he's too short. Especially considering that the ACC is much more of a 3-pt shooting conference than the old big east was, it might even be better to have player like Gilbert who can get out on the ball quick. Sometimes I feel like that's the biggest mistake JB makes- he should let the zone cater to his recruits, not them cater to it.

The entire team was disinterested in playing any defense during those years you're talking about. They tried to outscore everyone they played and if they couldn't they lost. Think it's unfair to single out Flynn. A side note, I was at that game and easily the best memory was when Griffin hit his head on the side of the backboard going up for a monster dunk:eek:

Gilbert and Jonny Flynn are two different players. I don't think we should assume things would go exactly as things did before just because we have a PG around the same height. This Alterique kid has serious game and potential. If he actually grew up a Cuse fan and he wants to come here we absolutely take him.

The entire team was disinterested in playing any defense during those years you're talking about. They tried to outscore everyone they played and if they couldn't they lost. Think it's unfair to single out Flynn. A side note, I was at that game and easily the best memory was when Griffin hit his head on the side of the backboard going up for a monster dunk:eek:

True enough. You're right. Devo wasn't too excited about defense for sure.

That would be another more obvious "style" fit and could likely happen.

I think Gilbert (along with VJ King) is the highest priority for Ollie and he does seem to have a good relationship with his mom and his coach.

All 3 programs are on TV a lot but I could see him pick UConn over UofL because UConn has a better track record with guards in the NBA and Ollie certainly knows what it takes to get to that level. Also, with Gibbs (assuming he commits) being only a 1 year guy, there is immediate playing time - not as sure at UofL. Plus UConn was there first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to any of the 3 programs recruiting him or even a TX swooping in for him. He will be coveted.

Uconn's "history" with guards in the NBA only relates to what Ollie has been 100% involved with. Before him was just that...before him. Program reputation and history doesn't get guys to the NBA, coaches do. How many guards has Ollie recruited, developed, and sent to the NBA? Based on his time there, I'd say zero to date. Pitino's is not great, either. JB has sent several to the league and has 3 currently playing significant roles, and has gotten may more their chances. Most that didn't make it simply were not talented enough physically. Players still have to have the tools.

As I recall, Blake obliterated Flynn on a finish. I recall it being an obvious charge and Flynn was never the same.

Uconn's "history" with guards in the NBA only relates to what Ollie has been 100% involved with. Before him was just that...before him. Program reputation and history doesn't get guys to the NBA, coaches do. How many guards has Ollie recruited, developed, and sent to the NBA? Based on his time there, I'd say zero to date. Pitino's is not great, either. JB has sent several to the league and has 3 currently playing significant roles, and has gotten may more their chances. Most that didn't make it simply were not talented enough physically. Players still have to have the tools.

That's an interesting standard.

The reason I say that is because while he didn't recruit Lamb or Napier, he was an assistant, or head coach the entirety of their careers at UConn. How is that not 100% involved in their careers? What does recruiting them in high school have to do with his helping develop them in college or sending them to the NBA?

If you hold him to that standard literally the only players that could count would be those from the 2012 onward. Meaning he gets credit for Drummond and Daniels (as players he recruited, coached, developed and got drafted). The rest are still in college, or in Boatrights case still trying out at the combine.

I can see discounting his infuence on Kemba because Kemba was at UConn two years before Ollie arrived but discounting his influence on Lamb and Napier that's absurd.

I realize it's going to be competitive for both but is this shaping up as a Simmons or Gilbert - whoever commits first? Is there any way we could take both? Are any of the other PG candidates in play here or is it wait to see what happens with the top 2 before moving on?

Consigliere said:
I realize it's going to be competitive for both but is this shaping up as a Simmons or Gilbert - whoever commits first? Is there any way we could take both? Are any of the other PG candidates in play here or is it wait to see what happens with the top 2 before moving on?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Both??? I'd be ecstatic with one or the other, but hard to jump in so late and in a recruiting area the staff has never worked and expect either. IMO

All I know is I watched Boatright play in the draft game and his speed and scoring make him such a threat. I want one of those type of players for us. :)