Class of 2019 - PG Cole Anthony (NY/Oak Hill) to North Carolina | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Cole Anthony (NY/Oak Hill) to North Carolina

Cole aAnthony is a highly regarded recruit.. ever wonder why SU has not gotten far in recruiting him. Or is it because Boeheim is happy with getting Goodine and for awhile in recruiting Lecque.

Recruiting is a 2-way street.

I'd imagine that our staff got the idea that Cole wasn't very interested, or looking for a BLUE blood program only, so they moved on.

If I'm Greg Anthony, I'm sending my kid to a program with a proven (recent) history of sending PG's to the League.

Unfortunately, be it perception of system (2-3 zone only) or the lack of quality NBA guards Syracuse has outputted over the last 10-15 years, I have no ill-will towards being left out.

Plus it appears to this fan that this Orange outfit (to steal a phrase from an old "friend") is forming up to be the deepest in recent memory (since i started following the program in 1995-96).

Recruiting is a 2-way street.

I'd imagine that our staff got the idea that Cole wasn't very interested, or looking for a BLUE blood program only, so they moved on.

Syracuse is a blue blood

Yeah but if Cole Anthony wants to come to SU Boeheim is taking him with open arms, regardless of who is on board.
That’s now how that recruitment went

Syracuse is a blue blood

No, we're not.

We're in the next tier below the Blue Blood level, which is fine.

We don't consistently get Top-10 (or even Top-25) level recruits.
We're not a fixture in the Top 25 almost every year (at least recently, but this will change now)
We haven't won multiple NC's.
We haven't even won our Conference championship in ages.

Duke UNC Nova Kentucky Kansas

Syracuse Louisville Michigan

Uconn Florida UCLA MSU

Arizona etc.

Im missing someone arent i

How tasty is Arizona’s loss to UB paired with MSU kicked to the curb by JB, still to this day?

Yeah, I think Nova is probably on Tier 1 now.

Tier 1- Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova (?)

Tier 2- Syracuse, Arizona, Louisville, UCLA, Indiana, Michigan, MSU.

Tier 3- UConn, Florida, Virginia, Ohio St., Wisconsin, Gonzaga, etc.

I don’t know. This stuff is so subjective.

Last edited:
How tasty is Arizona’s loss to UB paired with MSU kicked to the curb by JB, still to this day?

It’s cool for sure. Wasn’t a surprise to me at all that UB won and I liked Arizona a lot. We barely beat them and they improved a ton. Arizona had lead guard weaknesses and UB defended them really well and hard (I wonder if UA fans said they played dirty, btw, lol). Buffalo also gave Kentucky a tough game for most of it before UK prevailed. SGA was incredible. The MSU game was a complete shock. I thought our ride would be over especially playing in Detroit. Very cool.

No, we're not.

We're in the next tier below the Blue Blood level, which is fine.

We don't consistently get Top-10 (or even Top-25) level recruits.
We're not a fixture in the Top 25 almost every year (at least recently, but this will change now)
We haven't won multiple NC's.
We haven't even won our Conference championship in ages.

Yes we are.

Yeah, I think Nova is probably on Tier 1 now.

Tier 1- Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova (?)

Tier 2- Syracuse, Arizona, Louisville, UCLA, Indiana, Michigan, MSU.

Tier 3- UConn, Florida, Virginia, Ohio St., Wisconsin, Gonzaga

I don’t know. This stuff is so subjective.

I would swap Villanova and UCLA. While Villanova has had great success they aren't of the "blue blood" category. And likewise UCLA, which has had much less success for a decade, is still in that high stratosphere of big alumni money and big influence. And big apparel money.

Last edited:
I would swap Villanova and UCLA. While Villanova has had great success they aren't of the "blue blood category. And likewise UCLA, which has had much less success for a decade, is still in that high stratosphere of big alumni money and big influence. And big apparel money.

Yep. I was thinking about that exact same swap, actually.

Tell us how according to Comstock’s valid criteria?

Valid criteria? Haha. Not getting top 10-25 talent every year is far from valid. Let’s see..there’s 300 plus division 1 basketball programs in this country. Syracuse is 6th all time in wins. Syracuse is one of the top 8 programs all time. Every top 10 list that ESPN or cbs has come out with always has Syracuse top 8-9. It’s not an arguement. A few bad years doesn’t take away from 100 years of basketball. Just like you putting nova in the top 5 is a complete joke. They’ve been really good for 4-5 years now they’re on the same level as Duke Kansas and Kentucky? Stop.

Valid criteria? Haha. Not getting top 10-25 talent every year is far from valid. Let’s see..there’s 300 plus division 1 basketball programs in this country. Syracuse is 6th all time in wins. Syracuse is one of the top 8 programs all time. Every top 10 list that ESPN or cbs has come out with always has Syracuse top 8-9. It’s not an arguement. A few bad years doesn’t take away from 100 years of basketball. Just like you putting nova in the top 5 is a complete joke. They’ve been really good for 4-5 years now they’re on the same level as Duke Kansas and Kentucky? Stop.

We can always agree to disagree. We’re not in the tier as the blue bloods (Duke/UK/Kansas/UNC) but in the next tier. My the horrors! I have no problem swapping UCLA with Nova. But we aren’t in that top tier of 5 or so, IMO.

No way is Nova a blue blood. To say that is ignoring decades of basketball, and the work top tier teams have put in throughout history

No way is Nova a blue blood. To say that is ignoring decades of basketball, and the work top tier teams have put in throughout history

The more I look at it the more they have a case, IMO. I can see both sides but...

64-36 All Time in the Tourney
37 Tourney Appearances- 8th all time
1985/2016/2018 Champs. 1971 Runner-up
Four BET Championships

Those are just some of the accomplishments. Tourney appearances in the 70s and 80s so historically relevant. I guess it boils down to how heavy one weighs the Titles.

Last edited:
The more I look at it the more they have a case, IMO. I can see both sides but...

64-36 All Time in the Tourney
37 Tourney Appearances- 8th all time
1985/2016/2018 Champs. 1971 Runner-up
Four BET Championships

Those are just some of the accomplishments. Tourney appearances in the 70s and 80s so historically relevant. I guess it boils down to how heavy one weighs the Titles.
Nit-picking (actually, much more than nits).

1971 NCAA runner-up vacated due to ineligible player.

3 of 4 BET titles in the New BE. I would guess that if SU, LVille, and even ND (not to mention UConn & Cin) were still competing in MSG, Nova would not have all 3 of those recent titles.

he is more than likely going to G-Town, if not Duke, we had zero shot

Nit-picking (actually, much more than nits).

1971 NCAA runner-up vacated due to ineligible player.

3 of 4 BET titles in the New BE. I would guess that if SU, LVille, and even ND (not to mention UConn & Cin) were still competing in MSG, Nova would not have all 3 of those recent titles.

Good points in that paragraph. I think they are probably second tier just making some points.

Vacated whatever is bunk. Louisville, Syracuse, USC football, whomever. The players played and earned whatever accolades occurred. The games happened.

Good points in that paragraph. I think they are probably second tier just making some points.

Vacated whatever is bunk. Louisville, Syracuse, USC football, whomever. The players played and earned whatever accolades occurred. The games happened.
Howard Porter was being paid. If he's not on the court, they do not make the FF.