Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

lmao this thread. Were toast. Period. End of story.

If you can't spot the sucker at the table, then you are the sucker.​

We’re the sucker.

Cbb as we knew it has been dead for a few years. We aren’t toast but the game has massively changed. There is too much focus on who is getting certain players and less on who has left those same programs and what they have coming back or from HS.

Every day it’s a new shiny object someone else might be getting that we aren’t irrespective of who those other programs have in the fold. I mean look at the team Leffew just joined. Anyone feel better about that roster than what we have right now?

Ehh, never cared about the kid. He looked like a poopy pants in that one photo in SU gear. Moving on.

There’s talk today about him wanting to play close to home etc. According to the last 100 pages, he wanted Syracuse, and the reason we didn’t get him is because we offered him less NIL than multiple other schools recruiting him. That explanation should not be changing today.

Cbb as we knew it has been dead for a few years. We aren’t toast but the game has massively changed. There is too much focus on who is getting certain players and less on who has left those same programs and what they have coming back or from HS.

Every day it’s a new shiny object someone else might be getting that we aren’t irrespective of who those other programs have in the fold. I mean look at the team Leffew just joined. Anyone feel better about that roster than what we have right now?

UGa hasn’t been in the tourney since 2015. Why would we want to compare our roster to theirs? Of course, we haven’t been in 3 years

UGa hasn’t been in the tourney since 2015. Why would we want to compare our roster to theirs? Of course, we haven’t been in 3 years

My point was we lost out to UGA… but would anyone take what they have right now over what we have before we finalize the last 3?

Don’t know what the final reason was whether all money or home being closer or what just saying I’m moving on and not panicking

There’s talk today about him wanting to play close to home etc. According to the last 100 pages, he wanted Syracuse, and the reason we didn’t get him is because we offered him less NIL than multiple other schools recruiting him. That explanation should not be changing today.
You should never pay $50,000 for a base model Honda Civic even in times of need.

You should never pay $50,000 for a base model Honda Civic even in times of need.
What if that’s just what civic’s cost now though and What if every other car that’s capable of getting you to where you’re going cost double that? Do you walk?

I’m not advocating for Leffew though as I never watched his tape or developed my own opinion on him.

Red needs to attend the Fran brown recruiting school. If he doesn’t adopt that mentality he won’t be here long. We need to hit an area we can lock down. He then needs to go after the top talent in the portal not 130 something pg.

No. I also wouldn’t want Hofstra’s roster from last year over ours but we have their starting PG. I’m not sure of the point here.

I’m saying we are a player or two away from the roster we need to be a much better team. We lost one of those players to an inferior roster by comparison. Comparing Hofstra isn’t really a relevant point.

It’s huge we find that player still no doubt but the sentiment seems to be we are a mess as things stand right now vs still just needing that final piece or two. I’m beating this point into the ground I realize that and said my peace - don’t mean to be on repeat.

I liked Leffew and am bummed we lost our #2 target (assuming Reynolds was 1). Let’s see how resourceful Red and team are given it’s one major piece left and a role player end of bench guy to put us in a good spot.

Last edited:

I knew he was looking for a bigger bag a couple weeks ago.
Glad we got the real PG while we could.
Now, let's hope Westry is healthy, and let's go get a PF.

I’m saying we are a player or two away from the roster we need to be a much better team. We lost one of those players to an inferior roster by comparison. Comparing Hofstra isn’t really a relevant point.

I know it’s not relevant. Neither is UGa. We should be comparing our roster to possible tourney teams.

Sorry Typed that wrong. The players we have landed so far from the portal have been underwhelming. Red needs to land a good pg from the portal.

No, he doesn't. We've got 5 guards, and one is actually a pass-first PG who averaged over 6 assists a game last year. We're fine at guard, so long as Westry is actually healthy.

We are NOT fine at forward. We only have 3. We don't have a big man who can shoot a 3. If you watch any basketball at all these days, we are one of the few teams who don't have one. That is a must, if we want to be a good team. If we can draw the opponent's center outside of the lane, it opens up lanes for the guards to get to the rim.

When he left and started taking more visits Red should have started looking elsewhere.
With the portal that's the new reality, Fran plays it well.
Red needs to learn how it's played, last year with Jesse, we got played.
We just got played again this year, except not with as good a player.

He did. That's when he got Carlos. We DO have a PG, folks.

No, he doesn't. We've got 5 guards, and one is actually a pass-first PG who averaged over 6 assists a game last year. We're fine at guard, so long as Westry is actually healthy.

We are NOT fine at forward. We only have 3. We don't have a big man who can shoot a 3. If you watch any basketball at all these days, we are one of the few teams who don't have one. That is a must, if we want to be a good team. If we can draw the opponent's center outside of the lane, it opens up lanes for the guards to get to the rim.

Well if Freeman can shoot it like he has shown of recent then yes we do.

What if that’s just what civic’s cost now though and What if every other car that’s capable of getting you to where you’re going cost double that? Do you walk?

I’m not advocating for Leffew though as I never watched his tape or developed my own opinion on him.
We will never know the ROI with him. He’s not a NBA player. He’s someone that was the best available at the moment in a lot full of broken down vehicles.

Well if Freeman can shoot it like he has shown of recent then yes we do.

You can't make it through a whole season with only 3 forwards. Somebody's going to get hurt at some point.

He kind of struck me as one of those rangy UConn guards, or a bit like a poor man's Michael Carter-Williams, bit of a high dribble, good at floaters in the lane.

You can't make it through a whole season with only 3 forwards. Somebody's going to get hurt at some point.
Westry is a step away from his next injury so now we are stuck with the Hofstra pg. red is not killing it in the portal and that’s problem. I find it hard to believe the football team can land and pay all these kids and the basketball team doesnt have the money to pay 8 players. So that leads me to think we have a recruiting issue and the players aren’t buying into red. I could be wrong maybe Carlos is the next Johnny Flynn I just don’t see it.

It’s huge we find that player still no doubt but the sentiment seems to be we are a mess as things stand right now vs still just needing that final piece or two. I’m beating this point into the ground I realize that and said my peace - don’t mean to be on repeat.

I liked Leffew and am bummed we lost our #2 target (assuming Reynolds was 1). Let’s see how resourceful Red and team are given it’s one major piece left and a role player end of bench guy to put us in a good spot.

I still think that we need a big who can shoot from outside much more than we need still another guard.

Westry is a step away from his next injury so now we are stuck with the Hofstra pg. red is not killing it in the portal and that’s problem. I find it hard to believe the football team can land and pay all these kids and the basketball team doesnt have the money to pay 8 players. So that leads me to think we have a recruiting issue and the players aren’t buying into red. I could be wrong maybe Carlos is the next Johnny Flynn I just don’t see it.

It's not all on one guy to "be the point guard". We saw that last season. Judah, JJ, Copeland and Cuffe all brought the ball up and started the offense. It's going to be PG by committee.

Judah seldom passed, but the other 3 were willing. Copeland was too reckless.

Cuffe was a solid ball handler and didn't stop the offense, but didn't create a lot of opportunities for others, except when getting out on the break. He can do the same thing this year, and give us 15 minutes.

JJ initiated a lot of offense. He wasn't just a stand and shoot guy at the two guard. He will do the same this year. If Westry equals Copeland, and can stay healthy, we are better at guard this upcoming year, IMO.

We add a guy who is a lot like John Gillon, pass first PG who can also hit a 3 and get a rebound.

And we add a very good shooting guard prospect in Choppa Moore. We can live with this group. It's up front that we still need some help.

Last edited:

Carlos is not Jonny Flynn. He's John Gillon. People forget, but he had a very good year for us that season.

Ehhh it’s not much different than the housing market. Plenty of reasons that you have to overpay to get the house you really want in a challenging market. Portal is no different. How badly do you want it versus another bidder?

Last edited:
Carlos is not Jonny Flynn. He's John Gillon. People forget, but he had a very good year for us that season.

No one forgot Gillon, especially his game winner against Duke. We can only wish Carlos is Gillon 2.0