Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 100 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Is it possible Leffew was wary of competition for minutes vs Westry at point? Wasn’t there a report about practice when Chance was recovered, about how it was ‘even,’ between him and Judah, talent-wise? Did that mean they were both playing PG? Or just that they were the most talented players? Either way, if Chance was that good coming off surgery and rust, I’m even more encouraged about our potential. Just wish we could get a medical opinion about how risky recurrences might be for his type of injuries.

Not only are the results of every game a referendum on the state of the program, now the results of every recruiting battle are too!
I’m looking at it as a whole. Killing it in the portal is job one and this isn’t going well so far. We aren’t recruiting anywhere near where we should be. Freeman is a stud. All the portal kids are more Georgia level than duke level.

I’m most disappointed by the fact we aren’t even remotely involved in the best portal players. It stinks that UCONN grabs a five star player and probably the best shooter in the portal. I’m not saying our pickups are bad, but the perception is we’re just an afterthought for the better players. Winning can change that, but the perception is still not great.

I’m looking at it as a whole. Killing it in the portal is job one and this isn’t going well so far. We aren’t recruiting anywhere near where we should be. Freeman is a stud. All the portal kids are more Georgia level than duke level.
What does killing it in the portal look like?

Sincere question.

I’m most disappointed by the fact we aren’t even remotely involved in the best portal players. It stinks that UCONN grabs a five star player and probably the best shooter in the portal. I’m not saying our pickups are bad, but the perception is we’re just an afterthought for the better players. Winning can change that, but the perception is still not great.
Winning won't change that, NIL will.

The structural concern that the Leffew recruitment has exposed is that we are behind on NIL. Maybe Georgia "overpaid" (whatever that means) but the fact that we couldn't land this tier 2 kid while offering a starting spot with his former coach on staff is a tough pill to swallow.

I don't know why we are behind on NIL. My suspicion is that we don't have the infrastructure in place because an 80 year old coach who didn't even believe in NIL was leading our program up until last year. Everything else about our program - fanbase size, rich alums, history, etc. - indicates we should be a top 20-30 NIL basketball school. Until we figure that out our staff will be working with one hand tied behind their back, but in this new transfer era, it's also part of their responsibility to find solutions.

I’m saying we are a player or two away from the roster we need to be a much better team. We lost one of those players to an inferior roster by comparison. Comparing Hofstra isn’t really a relevant point.

It’s huge we find that player still no doubt but the sentiment seems to be we are a mess as things stand right now vs still just needing that final piece or two. I’m beating this point into the ground I realize that and said my peace - don’t mean to be on repeat.

I liked Leffew and am bummed we lost our #2 target (assuming Reynolds was 1). Let’s see how resourceful Red and team are given it’s one major piece left and a role player end of bench guy to put us in a good spot.
It needs to be repeated though so I'll say it too. Piece or two away. Sure the PG is a major piece but the 2-5 are settled with a McD's 4, a bloodied tournament experienced guy at 5, and Mr 9-9 at NC State Bell & JJ at the 2.

Winning won't change that, NIL will.

The structural concern that the Leffew recruitment has exposed is that we are behind on NIL. Maybe Georgia "overpaid" (whatever that means) but the fact that we couldn't land this tier 2 kid while offering a starting spot with his former coach on staff is a tough pill to swallow.

I don't know why we are behind on NIL. My suspicion is that we don't have the infrastructure in place because an 80 year old coach who didn't even believe in NIL was leading our program up until last year. Everything else about our program - fanbase size, rich alums, history, etc. - indicates we should be a top 20-30 NIL basketball school. Until we figure that out our staff will be working with one hand tied behind their back, but in this new transfer era, it's also part of their responsibility to find solutions.
How can we have the NIL infrastructure in place to bring in the best recruit we've had since Melo at the 4 and Lampkin a top Portal Tourney experienced guy at the 5 without issue but 3 weeks later the NIL house is burning down when 1 target decides to go to his home state and play with his old teammate?

How can we have the NIL infrastructure in place to bring in the best recruit we've had since Melo at the 4 and Lampkin a top Portal Tourney experienced guy at the 5 without issue but 3 weeks later the NIL house is burning down when 1 target decides to go to his home state and play with his old teammate?
Great points. Getting a Top 10 all American and future first round draft pick like Donnie doesn’t come cheap in today’s landscape. And a guy like Lampkin doesn’t come cheap either.

It's OK. Wildhack will get it right next time.

IF Chance is healthy can he play the point

IF has to do some Olympian level lifting here.

He has been unable to remain healthy for 2 consecutive seasons now.

We have no idea where his PG style abilities may be after 2 extensive layoffs.
But by far the most important ability for any athlete is:
Availability.

So until we actually see him on the court, contributing in games that matter, we cannot plan on where he might contribute to this year’s team.

I’m saying it was a mess this year and these kids weren’t this bad last year. Never heard a peep and if they were this bad last year I doubt Red brings them all back this year. But this discussion took place previously and I said the same thing. I also said why I thought it happened and it wasn’t Reds fault. I think some players took advantage of Red going from good cop to bad cop and we didn’t have the upperclass leadership to keep things reigned in. Of course the injuries were nobodies fault and just bad luck.
I think that if Jim had remained coach that most of those players would have left. Red was the reason many of them were retained which supports the theory that he was the " good cop"
Completely a guess as you guys would know.
Regardless of why Red was able to navigate a difficult situation made worse because of the injuries and pull off a good season.
Im expecting us to be on the bubble this year, hopefully we squeak in.

I knew he was looking for a bigger bag a couple weeks ago.
Glad we got the real PG while we could.
Now, let's hope Westry is healthy, and let's go get a PF.
Spot on.
Also, relative to a company's payroll which what NIL is. If you overpay an employee especially a new one it will most definitely create issues with the current employees.
Hiring decisions cannot be made in a vacuum.

Great points. Getting a Top 10 all American and future first round draft pick like Donnie doesn’t come cheap in today’s landscape. And a guy like Lampkin doesn’t come cheap either.
And it would be a crime to waste Donnie's one season here but not providing him with a very good PG and possibly missing the tournament.

It needs to be repeated though so I'll say it too. Piece or two away. Sure the PG is a major piece but the 2-5 are settled with a McD's 4, a bloodied tournament experienced guy at 5, and Mr 9-9 at NC State Bell & JJ at the 2.
I'm reserving judgment because Red's still portal shopping, but we've been a piece or two away almost every year for almost a decade, so that would just mean more of the same (which hopefully it's not and we get those pieces).

You really think Carlos can match Gillon's production? I hope so, but tend to doubt it. Gillon was a solid guard for us. If Carlos can produce anything similar to Gillon, I'd be VERY happy. Hell, he shot 42% from 3, 86% FT, and had over 5 assists per game with 2 turnovers.

Other than size, there isn't really very much similarity to their respective games.

Gillon was an outstanding shooter / scorer, who didn't have an elite handle and was a minus defender.

Carlos has a waterbug handle and is a strong defender who isn't a great scorer / shooter.

You really think Carlos can match Gillon's production? I hope so, but tend to doubt it. Gillon was a solid guard for us. If Carlos can produce anything similar to Gillon, I'd be VERY happy. Hell, he shot 42% from 3, 86% FT, and had over 5 assists per game with 2 turnovers.
Gillon played in the MWC, much tougher league.