Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to single you out, but this post happened to highlight what I'm seeing a lot as a misconception about the GLeague program.

Regarding the bold, Jalen Green, Isaiah Todd, and whoever follows them will not be playing in the GLeague championship; my understanding is they won't be playing in official GLeague games at all. They aren't really joining the GLeague; they're joining a training academy under the GLeague umbrella. They'll scrimmage against some GLeague teams, some international teams, etc. but there's no equivalent to a professional or collegiate game with this.

Edit: This is more about trying to prevent kids from going overseas for a year than it is about trying to steal kids from the college system, though I'm sure there will be some overlap in that regard.
You can single me out. You're just debating thoughts—that's cool with me. And informing me: i don't watch G-League stuff, and barely pay attention to it.

You can single me out. You're just debating thoughts—that's cool with me. And informing me: i don't watch G-League stuff, and barely pay attention to it.

Neither do I really. I just know this stuff because ESPN/NBC published articles today about the new version of the program; it's completely different from what was offered to Bazley when we initially lost him to the GLeague.

This new G-League select incentive is only looking to get 6-8 kids a year. I think they are looking at basically anyone they consider a top 35 prospect, in the eyes of the NBA. The G-League President's kid is a top 35-50 ranked kid going to Virginia next year, doubt they even look at him.

I don't see college basketball being impacted too much, outside of just overall talent level. Successful teams do not rely strictly on one and done talent, there is typically a good mix of younger guys and vets. Plus the narratives with college basketball write themselves every year, regardless of elite HS kids. The stars, last year, were Myles Powell, Luke Garza, Cassius Winston, Obi Toppin, Markus Howard to a lesser degree. None of these guys were considered one and done talents coming out of HS. For most college basketball fans, they care because there is some sort of association with the school, regardless of recruiting / talent. As for most casual fans, they really only care about rankings and the nature / structure of the tourney.

My biggest question is if this new G-League select program eliminates removing the one and done rule in a few years. If it doesn't, then this looks mostly like a play to combat kids going overseas.

Not trying to single you out, but this post happened to highlight what I'm seeing a lot as a misconception about the GLeague program.

Regarding the bold, Jalen Green, Isaiah Todd, and whoever follows them will not be playing in the GLeague championship; my understanding is they won't be playing in official GLeague games at all. They aren't really joining the GLeague; they're joining a training academy under the GLeague umbrella. They'll scrimmage against some GLeague teams, some international teams, etc. but there's no equivalent to a professional or collegiate game with this.

Edit: This is more about trying to prevent kids from going overseas for a year than it is about trying to steal kids from the college system, though I'm sure there will be some overlap in that regard.
The sales pinch and the economics are NEVER the same. The G-league/NBA will NEVER state that they are trying to take market share from college basketball, in fact they will deny it with their last breath.

It is bad PR and may create a unwanted backlash, but the economics are what they are...

unfortunately this kid will never see the court for us. He wants the NBA asap and I don't blame him. And I cant blame him for wanting some money for a year before he gets drafted. Oh well, we'll be ok!

unfortunately this kid will never see the court for us. He wants the NBA asap and I don't blame him. And I cant blame him for wanting some money for a year before he gets drafted. Oh well, we'll be ok!

That is not a fact until it is done. He could change his mind twenty more times with the uncertainty in this world right now. He could troll the whole world including loved ones with social media. If anyone knows right now, he is most likely the only one who knows and who is to say he actually made up his mind yet? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. And again, he chose us and that brought some attention to the program. Nothing unfortunate about this situation, in my humble opinion.

That is not a fact until it is done. He could change his mind twenty more times with the uncertainty in this world right now. He could troll the whole world including loved ones with social media. If anyone knows right now, he is most likely the only one who knows and who is to say he actually made up his mind yet? Certainly not you. Certainly not me. And again, he chose us and that brought some attention to the program. Nothing unfortunate about this situation, in my humble opinion.
All true...but in my opinion he wont play here. Time will tell. I could care less either way. I think the kid should do what he thinks is best for himself and his family when that time comes.

**maybe he will play here IF the NCAA makes changes for these kids**

Completely agree with your last sentence.
I think it all depends on how good he ACTUALLY is. If he's a top 10 recruit still in two years then maybe not, but if he's "just" a top 25 recruit-- he probably won't have the option.

I think the kid should do what he thinks is best for himself and his family when that time comes.
I know that's a popular sentiment around here and a noble thing to believe. However, as callous as it may sound, I don't watch cuse games year in and year out hoping that the players do what's best for themselves and their family. I just want to win. That brings me a little bit of joy after a long day's work.

I think it all depends on how good he ACTUALLY is. If he's a top 10 recruit still in two years then maybe not, but if he's "just" a top 25 recruit-- he probably won't have the option.
Seeing he's close with Lebron, I definitely see him going the money route. Unfortunately I don't see him ever making it to campus. The staff needs to recruit that way too!

I don't know about that. He seems to really like su and college bball.

I don't know about that. He seems to really like su and college bball.
Kid has lived with bron and family and has plenty of NBA connections. Just my opinion but I bet he wants to get there as fast as possible and with the lifestyle he has seen and been around probably would like to make some decent money as soon as possible off his talents. Maybe he does come here idk? I just dont see it with how things are trending and what the NBA is doing. The NCAA messed themselves and these kids know it. Unless some changes are made then the top talent will go pro...which is totally fine, the college game will still survive and be good. Just wont have some of the top tier talent in it anymore. Again just my opinion. I could care less either way what happens. I'm all for kids making the best decisions for themselves and their families...even more so after all this pandemic crap ends. Some of these kids families might financially need the money now and not a year or 2 later.

Kid has lived with bron and family and has plenty of NBA connections. Just my opinion but I bet he wants to get there as fast as possible and with the lifestyle he has seen and been around probably would like to make some decent money as soon as possible off his talents. Maybe he does come here idk? I just dont see it with how things are trending and what the NBA is doing. The NCAA messed themselves and these kids know it. Unless some changes are made then the top talent will go pro...which is totally fine, the college game will still survive and be good. Just wont have some of the top tier talent in it anymore. Again just my opinion. I could care less either way what happens. I'm all for kids making the best decisions for themselves and their families...even more so after all this pandemic crap ends. Some of these kids families might financially need the money now and not a year or 2 later.
Like jdubs said lebron regrets not going to college he might push him in that direction. From reading his tweets he seems really invested in su and in college ball. I'm not telling you he's staying for three years he will be one and done. I do think he leans towards us instead of the g league plus we are due for a break.

Like jdubs said lebron regrets not going to college he might push him in that direction. From reading his tweets he seems really invested in su and in college ball. I'm not telling you he's staying for three years he will be one and done. I do think he leans towards us instead of the g league plus we are due for a break.
I hope it happens! Kid is awesome and would be so fun to watch play at cuse!

Despite all this...

I wouldn't count Dior to SU as out now.

Dior loves SU. He sees himself not only as the next Melo but also the first Dior. He wants a chip. The money will still be there the following year.. and probably more of it.

Despite all this...

Dior loves SU. He sees himself not only as the next Melo but also the first Dior. He wants a chip. The money will still be there the following year.. and probably more of it.
This is a phased process. The end of one and done is next...

click on it so you can swipe to see different players and projections. They have Dior on there. Not sure how accurate these are but still interesting.

BTW these aren't kids who were headed to Europe and NBA/G-league stepped in to prevent them form having to leave the country. These Kids were head it to college and the NBA/G-league are stepping in for their own best interest and everything else is just spin...

Despite all this...

Wait, Shareef Abdur-Rahim is the G-League President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom