Class of 2023 - PG Elmarko Jackson (NJ / South Kent) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PG Elmarko Jackson (NJ / South Kent) Offered

Not quite sure what happened here. May 2nd he was in awe of the offer and JB attended a lot of games. To not make top 11 something unique had to happen...

I wonder what happened here? To not make his top 11 is painful.
Judah Mintz and Quadir Copeland happened. Jackson possibly saw the competition here and decided that he may not start here until Sophmore year. Just offering a suggestion.

Not quite sure what happened here. May 2nd he was in awe of the offer and JB attended a lot of games. To not make top 11 something unique had to happen...
I think the perception out among recruits and kids is that Trey is coming. Plus Estrella in an interview made it sound like JB thinks Ducharme is coming. I think one or both was a factor with Gertrude’s stunningly not including Cuse in his top 5. Similarly may have been an issue with Jackson.

He read here that Trey was coming.

What happened is that he blew up. Kid was underrated nationally, then he started getting offers commensurate with his ability.

We were on him early, but when he blew up, we tailed off because we generally stop recruiting kids at that point. We've seen this pattern before.

I think the perception out among recruits and kids is that Trey is coming. Plus Estrella in an interview made it sound like JB thinks Ducharme is coming. I think one or both was a factor with Gertrude’s stunningly not including Cuse in his top 5. Similarly may have been an issue with Jackson.

I find it difficult to believe that Trey Autry would be a deterrent to a prospect like Jackson, in any capacity.

This is a kid who could walk into Kansas and start on day 1. He's going to be frightened off by a three-star with mostly mid-major offers?

What happened is that he blew up. Kid was underrated nationally, then he started getting offers commensurate with his ability.

We were on him early, but when he blew up, we tailed off because we generally stop recruiting kids at that point. We've seen this pattern before.

I don’t know. JB was at his UA playoff games in late July. When did we tail off and how did we tail off?

I don’t know. JB was at his UA playoff games in late July. When did we tail off and how did we tail off?

By dropping out of the race, like we generally do when kids start garnering blue chip offers, or when recruitment starts to get messier.

By dropping out of the race, like we generally do when kids start garnering blue chip offers, or when recruitment starts to get messier.

It was only a few weeks ago. Did we call him since and tell him we’re out?

It was only a few weeks ago. Did we call him since and tell him we’re out?

C'mon -- you know how it occurs. More like a pocket veto, then we fall off. Or we don't stay as active, and the kid feels the love elsewhere. Or the kid sets his sights a little higher relative to current perception, once their offers start rolling in.

A month ago, we were all over this kid. We reportedly slow rolled Ducharme, because this is the guy the staff wanted. Fast forward one month, and we don't make his top 11?

Last edited:
C'mon -- you know how it occurs. More like a pocket veto, then we fall off. Or we don't stay as active, and the kid feels the love elsewhere. Or the kid sets of the sites a little higher relative to current perception, once their offers start rolling in.

A month ago, we were all over this kid. We reportedly slow rolled Ducharme, because this is the guy the staff wanted. Fast forward one month, and we don't make his top 11?

My only point is what happened in just a few weeks that said we weren’t interested. We saw his final games. There were multiple tweets about JB being in the house. I think we just came off a dead period. We must have just told him we were going in a different direction.

My only point is what happened in just a few weeks that said we weren’t interested. We saw his final games. There were multiple tweets about JB being in the house. I think we just came off a dead period. We must have just told him we were going in a different direction.

Or the kid may have GONE in a different direction. Reportedly, we were trying to get him on campus for a visit, but were unable to make it happen.

But are we really debating whether SU tends to get on kids with high potential early, but tend to drop out when they start garnering blue chip offers, or when the staff can't close quickly? Years of evidence to suggest that's how things often unfold in such situations.

This kid was an underrated northeastern prospect, with high major skills. Would have loved to land him. But when his talents got recognized as the blue chip national prospect he deserved to be, it was over. We rarely stay involved in such recruitments once that happens.

Or the kid may have GONE in a different direction. Reportedly, we were trying to get him on campus for a visit, but were unable to make it happen.

But are we really debating whether SU tends to get on kids with high potential early, but tend to drop out when they start garnering blue chip offers, or when the staff can't close quickly? Years of evidence to suggest that's how things often unfold in such situations.

This kid was an underrated northeastern prospect, with high major skills. Would have loved to land him. But when his talents got recognized as the blue chip national prospect he deserved to be, it was over. We rarely stay involved in such recruitments once that happens.

None of that answers my question of what happened the past few weeks? There were no more games not to attend. There were no more home visits not to take. We aren’t talking a period of time where our interest waned. Just a few weeks ago we were all over him. Thus imo, we must have verbally told him something. 11 teams including VCU. Not all brand names. Peace.

I suspect that something happened in 2023 recruiting over the last couple of weeks that the public doesn't know about yet, but is affecting these kid's decisions (Elmarko, Gertrude). Maybe it involves Estrella, Ducharme, and the total number of open scholarships the staff can count on next year.

I mean, I get what you’re saying, but we’re on par with all of the programs in his final 11. And the lone blue blood, Kansas, is facing serious sanctions, including a post-season ban, from the NCAA. But I think I get what you’re saying?—that the staff doesn’t like to get mired in a heated and crowded race that we could easily lose in the end. Better to stick with a recruiting battle we can win and that we have a lot invested in, aka a player like Ducharme.

Last edited:
We rarely stay involved in such recruitments once that happens.
Points taken. However, seems like we've been willing to stay in for kids whose recruitment is legit/above board. Not necessarily saying Jackson's isn't (though signs are pointing otherwise), but JB made clear long ago he'll have no part when special reque$t$ are made - so, not disagreeing with you, just stressing what I see as the added caveat to why/when the SU staff seems to back off...

None of that answers my question of what happened the past few weeks? There were no more games not to attend. There were no more home visits not to take. We aren’t talking a period of time where our interest waned. Just a few weeks ago we were all over him. Thus imo, we must have verbally told him something. 11 teams including VCU. Not all brand names. Peace.
Could it be the NIL $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom