Class of 2017 - PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona

Kid is a playground streetball legend - will not translate in the college game - will have to tone down his antics - his high school team was not very successful in a weak year for NYC hoops - bust written all over him
I would have been fine having the chance for his game to not translate here.

I read that article and it sounds like an epic over hype. I don't say that because I know anything about his game. I don't. But that level of hyperbole being applied to his street cred and amazing game and he is going to Minnesota? It doesn't make sense at all. Minnesota in place and program reputation could not be further from everything espoused in the article. So maybe SU screwed up but why Minnesota?? Where are the elite schools or the Tier 2, 3, 4 schools?

There are rumors here in Minnesota that Isaiah Washington may be thinking about transferring closer to home. Not sure Cuse would be very interested since Washington is very short for top of zone.

There are rumors here in Minnesota that Isaiah Washington may be thinking about transferring closer to home. Not sure Cuse would be very interested since Washington is very short for top of zone.

I’d love to have another guard with his talent. Syracuse recruited Quade Green harder than anybody I can ever remember and he is 5’11. Howard Washington suffered a devastating injury also.

Last edited:
If we have an extra scholarship lying around, I guess I'd take him, but I pretty much hate him as a player.

If we have an extra scholarship lying around, I guess I'd take him, but I pretty much hate him as a player.
How can you hate Jelly Fam?

Like... how?

How can you hate Jelly Fam?

Like... how?

I think it's incredibly lame and every time I've watched Minnesota this year, he appears more concerned with looking cool than playing well. Outside of the last couple games, he's been pretty dreadful this season.

I think it's incredibly lame and every time I've watched Minnesota this year, he appears more concerned with looking cool than playing well. Outside of the last couple games, he's been pretty dreadful this season.

Ummmm you may need to have watched a few more games. And check his game log to boot. He has been far from dreadful.

Ummmm you may need to have watched a few more games. And check his game log to boot. He has been far from dreadful.

He was in his first year in a P5, even if in a very down year, so some struggles were expected. He got better as the year went on and he started to find his touch and get back into the rotation with some of Minnesota's injury struggles. Saw him a few times live this year - looked lost on the court the first game I saw, trying to force the issue without really knowing how to move an offense along, but got a lot more comfortable in January and beyond. Had solid games against both Michigan teams later in the season.

I don't know where the speculation on him transferring is coming from - he's the only point guard Minnesota has, and I think they squeak back into the NCAAT next season.

Overall this season, Isaiah has a TS% of 44.5%. The list of Syracuse players that have scored less efficiently than him this season are:
Howard Washington

Overall this season, Isaiah has a BPM of -1.8. The list of Syracuse players that have been worse this season are:
Braedan Bayer
Patrick Herlihy
Adrian Autry

Overall this season, Isaiah has a PER of 12.9. The list of Syracuse players that have been worse this season are:
Bourama Sidibe
Geno Thorpe
Matthew Moyer
Howard Washington
Braedan Bayer
Adrian Autry

In conference play, Isaiah improved on his TS%, increasing it to 48%. The list of Syracuse players that have scored less efficiently than him this season are:
Nobody.

He's increased his PER to 14.8 in conference play. This is actually only slightly below average and better than a handful of our guys:
Howard
Sidibe
Moyer
Dolezaj

But yeah, he's been pretty horrific this season.

Overall this season, Isaiah has a TS% of 44.5%. The list of Syracuse players that have scored less efficiently than him this season are:
Howard Washington

Overall this season, Isaiah has a BPM of -1.8. The list of Syracuse players that have been worse this season are:
Braedan Bayer
Patrick Herlihy
Adrian Autry

Overall this season, Isaiah has a PER of 12.9. The list of Syracuse players that have been worse this season are:
Bourama Sidibe
Geno Thorpe
Matthew Moyer
Howard Washington
Braedan Bayer
Adrian Autry

In conference play, Isaiah improved on his TS%, increasing it to 48%. The list of Syracuse players that have scored less efficiently than him this season are:
Nobody.

He's increased his PER to 14.8 in conference play. This is actually only slightly below average and better than a handful of our guys:
Howard
Sidibe
Moyer
Dolezaj

But yeah, he's been pretty horrific this season.

He is a freshman on a team worse than SU. So if you really want to try and quantify it then so be it. This is not the NBA.

I watched a boatload of Minnesota games this year and they are not an overall efficient team in how they play, just a little bit better in adjusted off. than SU on Ken Pom. Washington is a playmaker who takes risks. He also is a shoot first point guard. Given the team he played on, being a higher usage guy whose minutes fluctuated and being a freshman, I would argue you are getting far too deep into the numbers to evaluate the kid.

Given the tentative nature of our guards this year, our struggles to open up defenses , this kid adds a lot of value in that aspect of the game. If we were talking the NBA then sure let's talk PER as a solid measure of rookies. College freshmen?? Too early, gotta look at everything.

This is a kid that - even IF he wanted to transfer, and even IF he wanted to play for SU - wouldn't play for us until '19-'20?

And this tread is active like this is something we should even remotely be thinking about now??
Man, you people need a hobby. :p

This is a kid that - even IF he wanted to transfer, and even IF he wanted to play for SU - wouldn't play for us until '19-'20?

And this tread is active like this is something we should even remotely be thinking about now??
Man, you people need a hobby. :p
It's cuz Jelly Fam!

Put me in the camp that if he transfers and wants to come, let's give him a scholarship.

It's cuz Jelly Fam!

Put me in the camp that if he transfers and wants to come, let's give him a scholarship.

Completely agree. Not because of anything other than we need another true PG on the roster besides Washington going forward. Having long combo guards initiate the offense has been a mess since they seem not to you know, initiate any type of offense.

A guy who has some speed and get consistently get by his guy is what this offense needs...in a good or bad year. Washington isn’t going to be asking/begging for a screen every possession against Joel Berry. Ballhandling isn’t an issue either with this kid. The more the merrier.

Completely agree. Not because of anything other than we need another true PG on the roster besides Washington going forward. Having long combo guards initiate the offense has been a mess since they seem not to you know, initiate any type of offense.

Carey? Goodine?

This ship has sailed.

Carey? Goodine?

This ship has sailed.

Considering Carey could be a one n done, Frank is gone and our non atop battles with attrition not sure the idea is so bad... As for reality, yeah it has probably sailed.

Carey? Goodine?

This ship has sailed.

I agree it's not happening. Can't imagine anyone confusing Carey/Goodine for true PGs and not long combo guards. Sure having one of those running the point works out great with MCW or Gbinije and sometimes it leads to a horrifying offense (Frank/Kaleb). I for one would prefer to have a 6'1 PG that can penetrate and dish and do all of the things that PGs are supposed to do instead of having a longer wingspan at the top of the zone.

I agree it's not happening. Can't imagine anyone confusing Carey/Goodine for true PGs and not long combo guards. Sure having one of those running the point works out great with MCW or Gbinije and sometimes it leads to a horrifying offense (Frank/Kaleb). I for one would prefer to have a 6'1 PG that can penetrate and dish and do all of the things that PGs are supposed to do instead of having a longer wingspan at the top of the zone.

Carey is 6-2. He's a long combo guard?

Washington is a scoring point, he's not a "true" point. So it Carey. Carey > Washington. We're also still recruiting guards for the class of 2019.

Considering Carey could be a one n done, Frank is gone and our non atop battles with attrition not sure the idea is so bad... As for reality, yeah it has probably sailed.

I'm in favor of building backcourt depth, to avoid the absurd situation we faced this year. We're still looking to add guards for the class of 2019 -- Girard or Bertram would be guys I'd prefer over Washington at this point.

I'm in favor of building backcourt depth, to avoid the absurd situation we faced this year. We're still looking to add guards for the class of 2019 -- Girard or Bertram would be guys I'd prefer over Washington at this point.
See, I'd prefer Washington. I think.

Get Bertram over this guy. I'm sick of inefficient players.

Carey is 6-2. He's a long combo guard?

Washington is a scoring point, he's not a "true" point. So it Carey. Carey > Washington. We're also still recruiting guards for the class of 2019.

He's listed everywhere at 6'3 and has rarely played PG thus far in his life. Whether or not 6'3 constitutes the use of the word long can be debated but if you have a better description than combo guard than I'd love to hear it.