Class of 2017 - PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona

And I remember a lot of people acting like it was a colossal misfire.

Once again, the coaching staff knows more than a bunch of randos on the interwebs.
Just like the pros we passed on in Monte Morris and Jalen Brunson, or future pro Tremont Waters ect..

Last edited by a moderator:
That Jelly Fam stuff doesn't work at the college level. Showed a few glimpses of potential his freshman year.

That Jelly Fam stuff doesn't work at the college level. Showed a few glimpses of potential his freshman year.

He definitely has some talent but he played like he cared more about looking cool rather than winning. One of those guys that wanted to turn every routine play into a highlight and it manifested itself into him being a miserable college player for two years.

And I remember a lot of people acting like it was a colossal misfire.

Once again, the coaching staff knows more than a bunch of randos on the interwebs.

Yeah, staff has been stellar, good observation.

Just like the pros we passed on in Monte Morris and Jalen Brunson, or future pro Tremont Waters ect..
Monte Morris is one of the all-time great revisionist history stories this board has ever seen. You know who we took instead of him? Tyler Ennis. Even if you think we should have taken two PGs in the same class, Morris signed two months before Ennis. No chance we were taking Plan B ahead of Plan A. The staff had their preference and - given the results - there’s no way you can argue they were wrong.

Tremont Waters is a 5-11 square peg.

Monte Morris is one of the all-time great revisionist history stories this board has ever seen. You know who we took instead of him? Tyler Ennis. Even if you think we should have taken two PGs in the same class, Morris signed two months before Ennis. No chance we were taking Plan B ahead of Plan A. The staff had their preference and - given the results - there’s no way you can argue they were wrong.

Tremont Waters is a 5-11 square peg.

This isn't accurate.

Everyone knew we were taking two guards in 2013. Ennis was far and away the number one priority. Everyone knew that as well. Morris paid his own way and came to campus ready to commit on the spot if offered fully understanding that Ennis would be the guy in his class and he would be a back up guard to start his career or play alongside Tyler at times. He was fine with that and Tyler knew as well we'd take two guards in 2013 and didn't care who our second guard would be because he knew he was a beast. Staff made the decision to not offer Morris because they didn't think he was good enough. Later Gerry saw Buss while watching a Brewster open run and thought he would be a great fit with his length and athleticism to be a combo for us. Buss was behind Rysheed Jordan on the staff's board but once Jordan came up for Orange Madness and didn't commit after our full court press we decided we would take Buss's commitment so that we could make sure we had a second guard in this class. Getting Patterson probably helped us with McCullough as well as those two linked up quick at Brewster and became good friends but I doubt or have never heard anything to suggest that was why the staff took Patterson.

If Tre was a part of our program, like he badly wanted to be after decommitting from Georgetown, our team is better. I don't care about his height. We're trying to win basketball games so let's get good basketball players.

This isn't accurate.

Everyone knew we were taking two guards in 2013. Ennis was far and away the number one priority. Everyone knew that as well. Morris paid his own way and came to campus ready to commit on the spot if offered fully understanding that Ennis would be the guy in his class and he would be a back up guard to start his career or play alongside Tyler at times. He was fine with that and Tyler knew as well we'd take two guards in 2013 and didn't care who our second guard would be because he knew he was a beast. Staff made the decision to not offer Morris because they didn't think he was good enough. Later Gerry saw Buss while watching a Brewster open run and thought he would be a great fit with his length and athleticism to be a combo for us. Buss was behind Rysheed Jordan on the staff's board but once Jordan came up for Orange Madness and didn't commit after our full court press we decided we would take Buss's commitment so that we could make sure we had a second guard in this class. Getting Patterson probably helped us with McCullough as well as those two linked up quick at Brewster and became good friends but I doubt or have never heard anything to suggest that was why the staff took Patterson.

If Tre was a part of our program, like he badly wanted to be after decommitting from Georgetown, our team is better. I don't care about his height. We're trying to win basketball games so let's get good basketball players.

The staff knows more than a poster on this board knows. All you can do is trust their judgement. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Too many people here believe that recruiting is easy and it's as simple as the words they type in the comment field then press enter. Most, if not all, of this board would be out of a job already. Anyone can MMQB.

The staff knows more than a poster on this board knows. All you can do is trust their judgement. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Too many people here believe that recruiting is easy and it's as simple as the words they type in the comment field then press enter. Most, if not all, of this board would be out of a job already. Anyone can MMQB.

Agree with this. Even the best portfolio managers in the world sometimes miss on stocks. JB is an incredible talent evaluator and did a great job grabbing guys before they "blew up". Same with Hop. One of them is across the country and the other is in his early-mid 70's and isn't scouring gyms like he was 10, 20, 30 years ago. That's what I think is a huge part of the recent dip, the evaluation of guys during the recruiting process.

And I'm saying this exclusive from whatever our guys are ranked. I trust JB's opinion more than some glorified blogger at rivuhls or 2fore7. But, he can't evaluate all these kids as well as he did in the past though if he isn't seeing them as often or watching as many games to find the under the radar guys.

This isn't accurate.

Here’s a good article.

How Ron Patterson grew from a kid in 'The Movement' to a man on a basketball mission

This isn't accurate.

Can’t be!!

Our staff is flawless and doesn’t make mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant be

Our staff is flawless and does not make mistakes
Yeah, i don't know why we're here if we're not supposed to speculate, hope, wish, and assess even with our amateur, ignorant, lying eyes.

I'm in MN so I have a little Washington info. Washington played pretty awful this year so he often rode the pine for that reason. Often played his own game and not what coach wanted.

He is listed at 6'1" but appears to be much closer to 5'11" (or less?).

Minnesota is really excited about Pitt transfer Marcus Carr to start at the PG next year and Washington knew from practicing against him that he wouldn't play much next year either. I heard Providence is possibility.

Agree with this. Even the best portfolio managers in the world sometimes miss on stocks. JB is an incredible talent evaluator and did a great job grabbing guys before they "blew up". Same with Hop. One of them is across the country and the other is in his early-mid 70's and isn't scouring gyms like he was 10, 20, 30 years ago. That's what I think is a huge part of the recent dip, the evaluation of guys during the recruiting process.

And I'm saying this exclusive from whatever our guys are ranked. I trust JB's opinion more than some glorified blogger at rivuhls or 2fore7. But, he can't evaluate all these kids as well as he did in the past though if he isn't seeing them as often or watching as many games to find the under the radar guys.
Great post.
And it’s always interesting how the hits are easily dismissed, while the misses are amplified. We’ve had so many great pickups, even recently, yet we don’t seem to focus on those nearly as much.

Mmmm. Almost like SU coaches understand scouting and player evaluation.

The kid said his grandparents' health was one of the primary reasons for the transfer - Iona brings him home. They've also been to the NCAAT for the last four consecutive years, so it's not like he's going to Rutgers.

The kid said his grandparents' health was one of the primary reasons for the transfer - Iona brings him home. They've also been to the NCAAT for the last four consecutive years, so it's not like he's going to Rutgers.

still Iona is not big time and it appears the Cuse coaching staff once again knows a lot more than us.
Trust in Jimmy!

Cuse

still Iona is not big time and it appears the Cuse coaching staff once again knows a lot more than us.
Trust in Jimmy!

Cuse

Totally missed the point. Sometimes people make choices for reasons beyond just a "big time" name. In this case, for family. This isn't to say he's a world beater player or anything like that, but I guarantee Iona wasn't his only potential suitor.

This isn't accurate.

Spot on.