Class of 2017 - PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Isaiah Washington (NY) Transferring from Minnesota to Iona

The kid said his grandparents' health was one of the primary reasons for the transfer - Iona brings him home. They've also been to the NCAAT for the last four consecutive years, so it's not like he's going to Rutgers.

Wouldn't be able to go to Rutgers as they're in conference. The B1G to the MAAC is a significant drop in competition. Could have gone to Seton Hall or St. John's if he wanted to be local.

Wouldn't be able to go to Rutgers as they're in conference. The B1G to the MAAC is a significant drop in competition. Could have gone to Seton Hall or St. John's if he wanted to be local.

SMH - I wasn't saying he was going to Rutgers. And re: Seton Hall or St. John's - you also need to see a path to playing time with roster construction (coaching also a big factor). Seton Hall has a few solid guards already in place, and St. John's is a tire fire right now. He's going to play for Cluess (who turned down St. John's, and where there's an existing relationship), in a system that better suits his style of play. Most importantly, I wasn't arguing that he's playing in an inferior conference or any of that nonsense. I was explaining that a lot of factors go into this type of decision, and it's not wholly dependent on one's ability to compete in a certain conference, etc.

Totally missed the point. Sometimes people make choices for reasons beyond just a "big time" name. In this case, for family. This isn't to say he's a world beater player or anything like that, but I guarantee Iona wasn't his only potential suitor.
He was terrible at Minny.

Mmmm. Almost like SU coaches understand scouting and player evaluation.

Just like they did with Kaleb Joseph (lol -- I'm just messing around -- recruiting by and large can be a crap shoot)

B10 doesn't have an intra-conference rule, he could have ended up at RU especially under the new guidelines.

The same counter reactions are likely to show up if he puts up 20 a game for the Gaels. Hopefully it works out for him.

Remember when everybody thought he was going to be an amazing player at Minnesota because of the one video of him scoring a layup.

Would be a good burn if we had also been able to recruit a single capable pg since Ennis.

You don't think we might have one (or more) on this year's roster?

We'll find out pretty soon. Do you not believe there is a correlation between not being able to find a competent PG and having 5 straight 13+ losing seasons?

We'll find out pretty soon. Do you not believe there is a correlation between not being able to find a competent PG and having 5 straight 13+ losing seasons?
If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it--It goes back to the Ennis decision to bail after 1 season. Had he stuck around longer, the results over the past 6 years would likely have been much better.

If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it--It goes back to the Ennis decision to bail after 1 season. Had he stuck around longer, the results over the past 6 years would likely have been much better.

Ennis and a healthy McCullough would have made a difference in 2015.

We still had to deal with sanctions and injuries from 2016-2019.

Or maybe stop trying to turn scoring guards into lead guards. Since Ennis they have brought in Joseph, Frank, Washington, Carey and now Goodine. Washington is the only natural PG there. PG play since Ennis has been somewhere between disaster and borderline disaster with the prior 4 pending Goodine.

Ennis and a healthy McCullough would have made a difference in 2015.

We still had to deal with sanctions and injuries from 2016-2019.

Carmelo would have made a difference in 2004. Despite the sanctions they had PGs that they recruited and brought in and they were terrible.

Carmelo would have made a difference in 2004. Despite the sanctions they had PGs that they recruited and brought in and they were terrible.
If Ennis had stuck around, it's likely the priorities would have been different with each succeeding year's recruitment. And, by different, I mean the outcomes would have been better, as the coaches were playing catch-up for 4 or 5 years.

As to the bigger point--scoring guards vs. lead guards: it is very hard to find true points these days. In high school, and AAU ball, the guys with the ball in their hands have become shoot-first players in most cases. Even at the most elite levels, this is true. See Duke with Frank Jackson and Derryck Thornton (who both lasted only one season) and UNC with Coby White (who clearly worked out much better)

...and the ones we turned our noses up and chose not to recruit ended up being terrible choices in terms of impact.

...and the ones we turned our noses up and chose not to recruit ended up being terrible choices in terms of impact.

The sanctions played a role in some of those decisions. I remember Brunson being one the staff definitely shouldn’t have turned away but struggle to think of others. They went all in on guys that they whiffed on, but they had to go all in. Target lists had to be narrowed down early on in the process due to the contact and travel restrictions; not to mention the scholarship reductions that limited the offers they could make in good faith.

Huerter is a guy I think of who could have fit the program nicely but we didn’t have a scholarship for him.

I know you know all of this. Everyone does, but it’s worth reiterating just how impactful the sanctions were. The staff had to bat 1.000 pretty much to field teams at the caliber we were used to. Batting 1.000 is hard.

The sanctions played a role in some of those decisions. I remember Brunson being one the staff definitely shouldn’t have turned away but struggle to think of others. They went all in on guys that they whiffed on, but they had to go all in. Target lists had to be narrowed down early on in the process due to the contact and travel restrictions; not to mention the scholarship reductions that limited the offers they could make in good faith.

Huerter is a guy I think of who could have fit the program nicely but we didn’t have a scholarship for him.

I know you know all of this. Everyone does, but it’s worth reiterating just how impactful the sanctions were. The staff had to bat 1.000 pretty much to field teams at the caliber we were used to. Batting 1.000 is hard.

Monte Morris?
Tremont Waters?