Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

dude; you should review your posts in the FOE thread before shaming other people's fandom

Nothing in that statement is remotely questioning, or shaming fandom. And my posts in the game thread would seemingly show I'm pretty passionate about Syracuse. I may be a biiiiit too intense, but that's what I do. I have a superstitious motive behind it as well, but I forget I'm on this board sometimes, and not the gambling forum. If it's too much, let the mods know.

And not trying to hijack this, so back on to Carey.

Even Bazley is helping get this kid in Orange

Imagining these two running the floor together is like thinking of classic Cuse basketball. Swae to Baze for the alley oop would be a welcome site. Alley oop attempts lately have been rough to watch.

With all the athletic forwards we have then Carey would have a field day passing in general. That's just his passing. The lane will be there for the taking for him to score as well.

I think we give him the best platform, and he will eventually pull the trigger.

During that run, we lost our starting center each time we were a 1 seed right before the tournament. Not a small matter.
I mean, sure. I agree that there were reasons we didn't live up to our seed. I'm just saying that to say that Arizona has been more successful than us recently is not the craziest thing one can say. There's no shame in admitting it.

I mean, sure. I agree that there were reasons we didn't live up to our seed. I'm just saying that to say that Arizona has been more successful than us recently is not the craziest thing one can say. There's no shame in admitting it.
I would argue that since Miller took the job in 2009, that neither one of us has been successful. Zero championships for either team in that time period. That should be the measuring stick.

In the same way, that I disagree with JB when he says the last few years haven't been down for us, because we have trips to the final four. Our regular seasons were below our standards and then we got hot in the tourney. Woopdie doo!!! I always like the saying..."second place is the first loser"...well what does that mean when we finish 3rd or 4th!

Someone asks about UConn recruiting and here is Rovals answer -
Priority number one is Jalen Carey, an old school type of guard known for his toughness, scoring streaks, and high-motor abilities. Syracuse, Miami and Kansas are the other primary favorites, but things have been tracking toward a battle between the Orange and the Huskies. Carey must become a UConn commit for the Huskies to have a good year

Someone asks about UConn recruiting and here is Rovals answer -
Priority number one is Jalen Carey, an old school type of guard known for his toughness, scoring streaks, and high-motor abilities. Syracuse, Miami and Kansas are the other primary favorites, but things have been tracking toward a battle between the Orange and the Huskies. Carey must become a UConn commit for the Huskies to have a good year

So an ACC team vs. an AAC team? If so, I'll double down on the Orange ...

So an ACC team vs. an AAC team? If so, I'll double down on the Orange ...
IDK. UConn has a diary bar on campus.
Actually, I enjoyed the campus, as did my son. He also thought the food there was great!!

I would argue that since Miller took the job in 2009, that neither one of us has been successful. Zero championships for either team in that time period. That should be the measuring stick.

In the same way, that I disagree with JB when he says the last few years haven't been down for us, because we have trips to the final four. Our regular seasons were below our standards and then we got hot in the tourney. Woopdie doo!!! I always like the saying..."second place is the first loser"...well what does that mean when we finish 3rd or 4th!
I can't even with this post. So unless you win the national championship every year, you are not successful. Okaaay. You realize there are like 350 D1 teams.

I can't even with this post. So unless you win the national championship every year, you are not successful. Okaaay. You realize there are like 350 D1 teams.
Why would you set the bar any lower?

We can compare the programs all day long, and there are arguments for both teams being up and down.

I'm not saying it's easy...but why play, if you aren't playing to win.

Anyhow, don't want to turn the thread...

Back to Carey...my bad!

Why would you set the bar any lower?

We can compare the programs all day long, and there are arguments for both teams being up and down.

I'm not saying it's easy...but why play, if you aren't playing to win.

Anyhow, don't want to turn the thread...

Back to Carey...my bad!
If you ain't first, you're last.

Nothing in that statement is remotely questioning, or shaming fandom. And my posts in the game thread would seemingly show I'm pretty passionate about Syracuse. I may be a biiiiit too intense, but that's what I do. I have a superstitious motive behind it as well, but I forget I'm on this board sometimes, and not the gambling forum. If it's too much, let the mods know.

And not trying to hijack this, so back on to Carey.
Plus, "shaming people's fandom"? lol. What does that mean? Most of the posters here stay classy. But for legitimate reasons, we've been shaming UConn on the BB forum since the site started, along with Georgetown (and Rutgers FB). Some fans are just arrogant, if not outright delusional, about their programs and need to be called out.

Last edited:
Plus, "shaming people's fandom"? lol. What does that mean? Most of the posters here stay classy. But let's be honest, we've been shaming UConn on the BB forum since the site started, along with Georgetown (and Rutgers FB), all for legitimate reasons. Some fans are just arrogant, if not outright delusional, about their programs and need to be called out.
It would be nice if we could actually beat them once in a while.

I sure hope Carey heads up to Cuse, but beating Arizona out for any recruit is a challenge. Like it or not, as a program,
they are trending up (you might want to see who E S P N has as its current preseason #1 for the upcoming year), while
SU is not. Recruiting-wise, Tucson probably sells itself a little better than Syracuse does. SU's gotta battle for these
recruits, and they clearly slacked off some relative to their competition over the past couple of years. HS kids, right now,
look like they have more interest in AZ than SU, irrespective of whether or not Miller gets them to the final four or not.
He's been close. SU has their two. But the key, is Arizona is capitalizing on their season performances to get top talent;
even with SU's two Final Fours, their recruiting has not seen the corresponding success. In 2016 SU makes a final four,
and JB gets a gold medal with Melo, and SU can't land a top 50/75 prospect? That's lame.

Kev

It would be nice if we could actually beat them once in a while.
We'll be fully 'back' soon. Tough period, which started with NBA departures, continued with NCAA issues and then bled into recruiting. But if you look back over the past 10 years, we're still one of the top programs. I think we had a 5 year stretch from 2009 to 2013-14 where we went 30-5, 27-8, 34-3, 30-10 and 28-6. Most programs would kill for a stretch like that, to say nothing of appearances in an elite 8 and a FF during that period (and another FF just 2 years ago). Arizona's been at a high level lately in recruiting, but they're no better (if as good) a program in terms of overall success in recent years.

Last edited:
Villanova offers 4-star PG Jalen Carey

The Villanova Wildcats staff has extended their first new offer of the July LIve Period to 4-star point guard Jalen Carey. 247’s Andrew Slater was first on Twitter.
Villanova spent plenty of time this winter scouting Carey, but waited until now to extend an offer. Whether that’s an indication of other targets or just the staff just needing to see more before they jumped in is irrelevant - Carey is a player and it would be great to land him and bring him to the Main Line.

I sure hope Carey heads up to Cuse, but beating Arizona out for any recruit is a challenge. Like it or not, as a program,
they are trending up (you might want to see who E S P N has as its current preseason #1 for the upcoming year), while
SU is not. Recruiting-wise, Tucson probably sells itself a little better than Syracuse does. SU's gotta battle for these
recruits, and they clearly slacked off some relative to their competition over the past couple of years. HS kids, right now,
look like they have more interest in AZ than SU, irrespective of whether or not Miller gets them to the final four or not.
He's been close. SU has their two. But the key, is Arizona is capitalizing on their season performances to get top talent;
even with SU's two Final Fours, their recruiting has not seen the corresponding success. In 2016 SU makes a final four,
and JB gets a gold medal with Melo, and SU can't land a top 50/75 prospect? That's lame.

Kev
Arizona has a nice environment (desert air and picturesque scenery), good school, very good coach and team. I can understand why recruits especially from the East may want to go there to escape the harshness of winter at Eastern schools like Syracuse.

I do not see University of Arizona providing a better avenue to NBA than Syracuse. I believe that University of Arizona/Archie Miller over recruits. For example players like Rawle Atkins and Kobie Simmons were great HS players. They did not dominate per se at Arizona (in the case of Kobie, was just okay-some potential). Yet both players after one year opted for the NBA draft with only Rawle pulling out to return. Simmons was not drafted. Too many recruits/players want the instant gratification of getting drafted and do not realize what the value of the college education is worth.

Kev

Don't try using logic here.

Arizona has a nice environment (desert air and picturesque scenery), good school, very good coach and team. I can understand why recruits especially from the East may want to go there to escape the harshness of winter at Eastern schools like Syracuse.

I do not see University of Arizona providing a better avenue to NBA than Syracuse. I believe that University of Arizona/Archie Miller over recruits. For example players like Rawle Atkins and Kobie Simmons were great HS players. They did not dominate per se at Arizona (in the case of Kobie, was just okay-some potential). Yet both players after one year opted for the NBA draft with only Rawle pulling out to return. Simmons was not drafted. Too many recruits/players want the instant gratification of getting drafted and do not realize what the value of the college education is worth.

It's Sean Miller. They run a system where nobody dominates the ball. Miller preaches (I've heard him on Sirius) to give up the ball to get better shots for teammates. They play team ball and get everyone involved. I would have killed for some physical well rounded types like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley, etc. Arizona is always solid, they'll be in every game, won't get embarrassed ever, etc. It's incredibly difficult to get to a F4. Skill, luck, and a myriad of reasons go into play. They are consistent and almost always have made deep runs under Miller. That's going to always be good enough these days. I think times have changed a bit. Just my opinion, but I think consistent good performance/good recruiting as a whole outweighs dips in performance/recruiting as a whole, regardless of a F4 run.

I'm working in Charlottesville for a month and a friend is a lawyer for Tony Bennett. Real estate and off the court stuff. Bennett isn't going anywhere nor is his job in jeopardy according to my guy. Same with Miller. Consistently really good is undervalued.

Last edited:
Villanova offers 4-star PG Jalen Carey

The Villanova Wildcats staff has extended their first new offer of the July LIve Period to 4-star point guard Jalen Carey. At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Andrew Slater was first on Twitter.
Villanova spent plenty of time this winter scouting Carey, but waited until now to extend an offer. Whether that’s an indication of other targets or just the staff just needing to see more before they jumped in is irrelevant - Carey is a player and it would be great to land him and bring him to the Main Line.

Crap! Honey, get my meds please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom