Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

It's Sean Miller. They run a system where nobody dominates the ball. Miller preaches (I've heard him on Sirius) to give up the ball to get better shots for teammates. They play team ball and get everyone involved. I would have killed for some physical well rounded types like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley, etc. Arizona is always solid, they'll be in every game, won't get embarrassed ever, etc. It's incredibly difficult to get to a F4. Skill, luck, and a myriad of reasons go into play. They are consistent and almost always have made deep runs under Miller. That's going to always be good enough these days. I think times have changed a bit. Just my opinion, but I think consistent good performance/good recruiting as a whole outweighs dips in performance/recruiting as a whole, regardless of a F4 run.

I'm working in Charlottesville for a month and a friend is a lawyer for Tony Bennett. Real estate and off the court stuff. Bennett isn't going anywhere nor is his job in jeopardy according to my guy. Same with Miller. Consistently really good is undervalued.

You are literally describing JB's entire 42-year head coaching career to a T. Consistency and consistent winning. The only dip we've had was due to sanctions and then uncertainty surrounding JB's retirement plans.

Why would you set the bar any lower?

We can compare the programs all day long, and there are arguments for both teams being up and down.

I'm not saying it's easy...but why play, if you aren't playing to win.

Anyhow, don't want to turn the thread...

Back to Carey...my bad!
Guess that John Calipari guy is really overrated having only one national championship and all.

You are literally describing JB's entire 42-year head coaching career to a T. Consistency and consistent winning. The only dip we've had was due to sanctions and then uncertainty surrounding JB's retirement plans.

Perhaps. That's pretty general (yet true). There are obviously many more factors now currently including age of the coach, scheme, etc. Look, I'm extremely excited about Bazely and that momentum. But, this current season hasn't started. We don't know what the hell we have...NIT again or something else. A few players are showing up late as well which could be potentially problematic. The last thing the program needs is another NIT which is absolutely realistic, albeit pessimistic.

Guess that John Calipari guy is really overrated having only one national championship and all.
As a head coach, yes I would say he is. As a recruiter...very good, but his past two sanctioned programs are a real black mark in my book.

If we went in to the season year after year with the roster he has...yes, the winning would be awesome. But to not have more than one championship, would bother me quite a bit. And before you go with the "it's hard to win a single elimination tournament" argument, you're right. But when you go into every game(except against maybe Duke) with better equipment that is an edge in their favor before the game even starts.

I understand why you responded to my original post. No matter how the season unfolds, I am usually proud of the team and what they were able to accomplish(in my eyes never been more proud than the banned Rak senior year team. They played hard with nothing to play for). In my eyes though we are still a tough top ten-fifteen basketball program(in a down cycle now...hopefully on our way out), and our goal should be a championship every year. I look at it like...is not reaching your goal being successful? I would say not.

Perhaps. That's pretty general (yet true). There are obviously many more factors now currently including age of the coach, scheme, etc. Look, I'm extremely excited about Bazely and that momentum. But, this current season hasn't started. We don't know what the hell we have...NIT again or something else. A few players are showing up late as well which could be potentially problematic. The last thing the program needs is another NIT which is absolutely realistic, albeit pessimistic.
Are you NIT picking?

Sorry, I'll show myself out

E0B492AA-FB16-40C6-965A-6A2311F76307-218-000000494C5480E2.jpeg
Are you NIT picking?

Sorry, I'll show myself out

No. We just don't know, duh. Nobody knows. Kinda exciting.

It's Sean Miller. They run a system where nobody dominates the ball. Miller preaches (I've heard him on Sirius) to give up the ball to get better shots for teammates. They play team ball and get everyone involved. I would have killed for some physical well rounded types like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley, etc. Arizona is always solid, they'll be in every game, won't get embarrassed ever, etc. It's incredibly difficult to get to a F4. Skill, luck, and a myriad of reasons go into play. They are consistent and almost always have made deep runs under Miller. That's going to always be good enough these days. I think times have changed a bit. Just my opinion, but I think consistent good performance/good recruiting as a whole outweighs dips in performance/recruiting as a whole, regardless of a F4 run.

I'm working in Charlottesville for a month and a friend is a lawyer for Tony Bennett. Real estate and off the court stuff. Bennett isn't going anywhere nor is his job in jeopardy according to my guy. Same with Miller. Consistently really good is undervalued.

Apologies, meant Sean Miller not Archie.

Regarding Carey, I would like him to see that a number of Arizona players go one and done. They usually recruit and sign 5 new players a year. while there is a lot of talent there, don't believe that they have a consistent team atmosphere because they are constantly leaving.

That said, from what I hear on this board, we expect/anticipate to lose a minimum of 2 players (Thorpe and Battle) to a maximum of 4 or 5 players (Thorpe, Battle, Thompson, Dolezsa (sp) and Chukwu). So, I am not sure if Syracuse offers any more team consistency than Arizona would. Best we can offer (and Carey to look forward to playing with) is possibly Matt Moyer, O'Shea Brissett, Bourma Sidibe, Howard Washington and Elijah Hughes coming back for a second year and Darius Bazley.

You know that team does not sound all that bad for 2018 if those players could establish their play this year.

Zona has basically put one guard lately in the 1st round. If 2008 is lately. Wish I could go back to those days.

They put out some solid forwards, and bigs. They recruit well, sure. They don't do very well with all that talent.

JB is underrated in developing talent. We have some guys who left early, and didn't pan out. But, they wouldn't have that chance to go early without JB.

Nova is a bigger threat, in my opinion. Closer to home, and guard orientated offense. That said, I feel well about Carey. Gut feeling is all.

I'm glad his Dad is involved. We thrive with a scoring PG, and forwards who can run. Carey, and Baze are the perfect combination. Not to mention OB, Marek, and MM. I have faith that we will see Carey running the team.

If he decides elsewhere, then that's fine. Love HW. Just would like to see Carey for a year, or two while HW develops. Perfect transition.

Why does this feel like quads green all over again. As mores schools get involved and he gathers more attention he isn't cutting his list but adding to it. If he is serious about Syracuse shouldn't he be cutting his list down instead of expanding it?

Why does this feel like quads green all over again. As mores schools get involved and he gathers more attention he isn't cutting his list but adding to it. If he is serious about Syracuse shouldn't he be cutting his list down instead of expanding it?
This looked like it'd be wrapped up by the END of summer even before other big schools showed up.

We just need to get him on campus 1 more time and wrap things up.

Apologies, meant Sean Miller not Archie.

Regarding Carey, I would like him to see that a number of Arizona players go one and done. They usually recruit and sign 5 new players a year. while there is a lot of talent there, don't believe that they have a consistent team atmosphere because they are constantly leaving.

That said, from what I hear on this board, we expect/anticipate to lose a minimum of 2 players (Thorpe and Battle) to a maximum of 4 or 5 players (Thorpe, Battle, Thompson, Dolezsa (sp) and Chukwu). So, I am not sure if Syracuse offers any more team consistency than Arizona would. Best we can offer (and Carey to look forward to playing with) is possibly Matt Moyer, O'Shea Brissett, Bourma Sidibe, Howard Washington and Elijah Hughes coming back for a second year and Darius Bazley.

You know that team does not sound all that bad for 2018 if those players could establish their play this year.
Chukwu will be back. Frank Howard will be a senior. And I'm sure Dolezaj will be back if he likes it here and likes his teammates. He'll probably need two years before going pro.

Kid kinda reminds me of Ennis' ability to command the floor calmly, mixed with a little bit of that absurd energy/athleticism Flynn had.

If this kid commits to UCONN, it might mean something positive here...

Re: Carey and 2018 PG's in general--

There is a piece up on espn.com about summer recruiting, stating that there may be a real crunch on the position this year, because KU, Duke and Ariz. are all recruiting 2 to play together.

They are consistent and almost always have made deep runs under Miller. That's going to always be good enough these days. I think times have changed a bit. Just my opinion, but I think consistent good performance/good recruiting as a whole outweighs dips in performance/recruiting as a whole, regardless of a F4 run.

I'll take a couple of Final Four runs over and a couple of down years in the best conference over a lot of wins in a poor conference and consistently underachieving in the NCAAT with a ton of talent. Miller does less with more, like Kansas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom