Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

I'm not a big Ayala guy either. I think he's fine as a complementary bench player combo guard to bring in but I wouldn't want to count on him being a starter and handling the ball 30+ mpg. I just have a feeling he would/will get overwhelmed athletically by high caliber ACC/P5 players. Who knows.

I'm not a big Ayala guy either. I think he's fine as a complementary bench player combo guard to bring in but I wouldn't want to count on him being a starter and handling the ball 30+ mpg. I just have a feeling he would/will get overwhelmed athletically by high caliber ACC/P5 players. Who knows.

My understanding is Careys a PG and Ayala is not.

That's good enough for me.

Carey is kind of a combo too. But he is an elite athlete. I think Ayala is a better passer, from the clips I have seen. But, that isn't much.
I have seen both play and neither is a true point guard but I prefer Carey. Should be interesting on Wed. at Peach Jam at the Carey's NJ Playaz open vs City Rocks at 5 pm.

I have seen both play and neither is a true point guard but I prefer Carey. Should be interesting on Wed. at Peach Jam at the Carey's NJ Playaz open vs City Rocks at 5 pm.

Do you know if this game going to be streamed/televised?

What is passing? Asking for my close personal friend Taurean.

He better not pull that BS again. He went from maybe my favorite player on the team early in the season to...well...

Yeah, he better not pull that again. Play the game to win.

Interesting to read some say that Carey isn't a "true PG". Seems to be the case with the majority of our PG recruits, and many of them have worked out fine for us so I'm not worried about it. It's just interesting at how our approach never seems to be too worried about our PGs being "true PG's".

He better not pull that BS again. He went from maybe my favorite player on the team early in the season to...well...

Interesting to read some say that Carey isn't a "true PG". Seems to be the case with the majority of our PG recruits, and many of them have worked out fine for us so I'm not worried about it. It's just interesting at how our approach never seems to be too worried about our PGs being "true PG's".

I'm worried about it but not with Carey. He seems like a PG to me and a scorer. He seems like a very good ballhandler too. Syracuse needs scoring and guys who can push the tempo, imo. Mid-season on the Ennis team's offense was grinded to a hault and was really ugly. Ennis was a "true PG" but there is only so much he was able to do with his floor general type game and underwhelming athleticism.

I'm worried about it but not with Carey. He seems like a PG to me and a scorer. He seems like a very good ballhandler too. Syracuse needs scoring and guys who can push the tempo, imo. Mid-season on the Ennis team's offense was grinded to a hault and was really ugly. Ennis was a "true PG" but there is only so much he was able to do with his floor general type game and underwhelming athleticism.
"Only so much he was able to do." I'm begging you to tell me you're kidding.

I didn't think Ayala was that good but he became the next "one" after Quade picked Kentucky.

Often times guys are considered combo guards or scoring guards at the high school level because they are the best scorers on the team. It doesn't mean they aren't or can't be PG in college. Its always nice to have a PG that can get their own shot late in the clock or in big moments.

Yeah, that team having no offense was definitely not on Ennis. He was a pure PG, surrounded by a bunch of average to below average shooters. All he had around him was Fair, who's mid range game was excellent, but his three point shooting percentage went down as he took more outside shots that year compared to the year before. BJ, was a non factor, Cooney was Cooney (hot or cold), Gbinije wasn't a big piece yet, Grant didn't have that in his game till he got to the NBA, Rak and Robey didn't have that, and I try to pretend that Buss took zero shots in his time at Syracuse!

Yeah, that team having no offense was definitely not on Ennis. He was a pure PG, surrounded by a bunch of average to below average shooters. All he had around him was Fair, who's mid range game was excellent, but his three point shooting percentage went down as he took more outside shots that year compared to the year before. BJ, was a non factor, Cooney was Cooney (hot or cold), Gbinije wasn't a big piece yet, Grant didn't have that in his game till he got to the NBA, Rak and Robey didn't have that, and I try to pretend that Buss took zero shots in his time at Syracuse!

Its funny to look back and say that group lacked offensive firepower which was 100% true at the time. Imagine a team of senior Rak, senior CJ, senior BJ, sophomore Grant, senior MikeG, senior Cooney and freshman Ennis. Add a center who could play for 10min a game behind Rak and that team would kill it. Loads of borderline NBA type players that were all at different points in their development on that squad.

Last edited:

Hold on. I'm not blaming it on Ennis. Obviously he had a limited supporting cast. But, still, they didn't run and Ennis reached his ceiling as an NBA prospect, regardless. So, yes, there was "only so much he was able to do."

I truly believe Howard Washington is a true point guard

By the way Jalen lost to Buddy and the Rocks...

Side note: WiFi is not working well and many are having a hard time live tweeting, etc. I am not there-- but I just wanted to pass that info about the WiFi along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom