Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

The 2019-2020 team could be really special.

Maybe it's a stretch, but getting sophomore years from Bazley and Carey, along with a junior Hughes/Brissett/Moyer/Sidibe/Dolezaj?, Buddy in year 2 and Goodine and whoever else in his class looks pretty formidable. Maybe 18-19 will be very good, too, but I think that'll take some time, assuming Tyus leaves after this year of course. It could be pretty great, though, if Baz/JC/Hughes are all ready to rock from the get go.

I cannot wait to see Carey/Hughes as our back court. I think once they get some games under their belt, they'll be as good a backcourt as any in the ACC (and maybe nationally).
I don't think we get a sophomore year out of Bazley in any form. Think about Chris M. even with an injury and uninspired play in the 7 games he did suit up, he was gone. Bazley will be too. The rest of your lineup is plausible, and if we could pull a kid like Precious Achiuwa, that would be one heck of a team. But, and I acknowledge you said it would be a stretch, imo, there is virtually no chance we see DB for year 2.

IF TB stays we are undoubtedly a top 10 team.
Barring injury, he's gone. Are we putting all our eggs on Hughes to be the new SG? Seems like a bit of an unknown there. Would like to see us grab another guard in this cycle in addition to roberts. 18-19 has the looks of a top 25 team and top 4 ACC finish. We need one more chess piece in the backcourt if we want to contend for an ACC title that year. It's all about guard play.

If TB stays it means that he underperformed this season. Not likely to happen. Are we putting all our eggs on Hughes to be the new SG? Seems like a bit of an unknown there. Would like to see us grab another guard in this cycle in addition to roberts.
Agree. Kinda hope TB has a HUGE year, cause we need it. As excited as I am about the future, the fact we may struggle again this year is killing me. I can't stand March madness without cuse. Do we really need to miss the tourney again. Here's hoping TB is a top 10 pick next year and plays like it all season. Worry about 2018 in 2018.

Worry about 2018 in 2018.
I hear ya. I hate that many of us are writing this season off... something that we almost never do. But it's also human nature to look ahead especially when things are somewhat bleak short term. Landing Baz/Carey is a great sign that we're turning things around... but the staff needs to show consistency moving forward. One great class typically only translates into 1 good season because of attrition. The last golden era was built on 3 or 4 cycles comparable to 18-19.

I don't think we get a sophomore year out of Bazley in any form. Think about Chris M. even with an injury and uninspired play in the 7 games he did suit up, he was gone. Bazley will be too. The rest of your lineup is plausible, and if we could pull a kid like Precious Achiuwa, that would be one heck of a team. But, and I acknowledge you said it would be a stretch, imo, there is virtually no chance we see DB for year 2.

Agree that it is low probability with Bazely for a 2nd year. Only thing that may give him pause is that he has a bit of a funky release on his jumpshot and that will obviously need refining before NBA success. Think we get Carey for at least two years.

Barring injury, he's gone. Are we putting all our eggs on Hughes to be the new SG? Seems like a bit of an unknown there. Would like to see us grab another guard in this cycle in addition to roberts. 18-19 has the looks of a top 25 team and top 4 ACC finish. We need one more chess piece in the backcourt if we want to contend for an ACC title that year. It's all about guard play.

We’ll still have a senior Howard, who could play some 2 if he progresses. Plus Buddy.

Maybe Washington comes off the bench and gets some time at PG with Carey sliding to the 2 a bit?

That’s 5 guards already.

Last edited:

We don't need more guards next year, nor will we pursue one.

Baz and Carey are gonna dump truck the ACC.

Welcome, Mr. Carey.
giphy.gif

If OB stays and TB leaves I see no reason we can't be top 10 in 17-18. Two elite frosh ready to go, senior Frank, all acc soph in OB solid interior D in Sidibe and PC, depth and talent in the wings with Marel, Moyer and Hughes and guard depth with Washington. Really solid group there and certainly a team capable of being a contender on paper.

He's a really good shooter. But like all CBB players, sometimes it takes time to adjust to the speed of CBB D1. He's got really good ball handling skills. And he's very good at positioning himself to get open looks. I think he will be a solid player for us but it may not be the first year.

Thanks Dave. I see a lot of PG's that can do the Patches O' Houlihan 5 D's: Dribble, drive, dish, dunk and dribble but shooting...not so much. It would be nice to have a PG that can hit the open J and maybe even create space to get one off. Makes sense it may take time physically and mentally.

We don't need more guards next year, nor will we pursue one.
That is such a great feeling. We have Carey, Howard, Washington, Boeheim and Hughes. What great depth. This assumes Battle goes pro after next year but I think that will happen. It is so nice to be in a position where we have depth at the guard spot. I love our depth and guard and forward for the next 2 years. My only concern is the middle after Sidibe.

I would never have said this before but it just might be G-mac. Now, before heads explode, he is well thought of and a fighter. So is Red.
a lot can happen in 5 years (or more) but it feels like that's the trajectory . . .

I think we're gunna have to call him jalenbuckets, jbuckets or jmoney or something along those lines cuz this kid is gunna be a scoring machine for us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom