Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

The thing I like is one of the greatest strengths I think Boeheim has is recognizing who is playing well and who is struggling. So if we have 3 players capable of playing he can manage that well based on who has it. Similar to when we had Dion/Triche/Scoop.

However, it is defense that earns kids playing time from JB. Hopefully, his defense will be good enough to get him some PT.
don’t disagree with your statement about D but Boeheim said this kid may be the best offensive guard we have had in twenty years do a few defensive mishaps may be forgiven
However, it is defense that earns kids playing time from JB. Hopefully, his defense will be good enough to get him some PT.

Carey is really fast and will probably get down the court quick which will probably be really exhausting for all the other players on the floor. So when everyone gets really tired we can put Frank back in to take 10 second to cross half court.
Maybe Frank will be quicker when he doesnt have to play 3 on 5 for 40 mins a game.

Maybe Frank will be quicker when he doesnt have to play 3 on 5 for 40 mins a game.
Let's hope. I like Frank and was just making a joke. I think he will be pretty good this year and when bad Frank rears his ugly head we will have the ability to take him out.

Carey is really fast and will probably get down the court quick which will probably be really exhausting for all the other players on the floor. So when everyone gets really tired we can put Frank back in to take 10 second to cross half court.

At JBs direction. Which won’t happen this year. Last year jb wanted to minimize the number of possessions. This year I expect he’ll want to maximize them.

just like there's a prototypical "syracuse forward," there used to be a prototypical "uconn guard"

carey has the look of a classic uconn guard. which really has to fry asses over on the boneyard.
Chris Smith !

don’t disagree with your statement about D but Boeheim said this kid may be the best offensive guard we have had in twenty years do a few defensive mishaps may be forgiven
I take JB’s comments with a grain of salt. Everything is always the best. “It’s the best we’ve ever played, the best defense we’ve ever had, he’s better than anyone else, etc. He says things like this every year. He totally overreacts. Let’s not forget that a couple of years ago we had the best team in years and that team didn’t make the tournament. I always take a step back when he uses the word “best”.

I take JB’s comments with a grain of salt. Everything is always the best. “It’s the best we’ve ever played, the best defense we’ve ever had, he’s better than anyone else, etc. He says things like this every year. He totally overreacts. Let’s not forget that a couple of years ago we had the best team in years and that team didn’t make the tournament. I always take a step back when he uses the word “best”.
I hear what your saying but Jalen was maybe the best scoring guard in nj or close to it. Boeheim sees his effectiveness going up against our current players who are also talented and athletic. I’m gonna lean with Boeheim in this one given his experience and immediate observation. What is equally exciting is that Boeheim also said Hughes was the best player so far this summer. This is on top of having Tyus and Frank. Looks like we may be loaded!

I hear what your saying but Jalen was maybe the best scoring guard in nj or close to it. Boeheim sees his effectiveness going up against our current players who are also talented and athletic. I’m gonna lean with Boeheim in this one given his experience and immediate observation. What is equally exciting is that Boeheim also said Hughes was the best player so far this summer. This is on top of having Tyus and Frank. Looks like we may be loaded!

Really interested to hear how Carey does against Frank in workouts. I’m sure they are battling each other often. Other than defensive experience there is such a drastic difference in speed and offensive ability/style/mindset, IMO, in Carey’s favor. Really curious.

Last edited:
Really interested to hear how Carey does against Frank in workouts. I’m sure they are battling each other often. Other than defensive experience there is such a drastic difference in speed and offensive ability/style/mindset, IMO, in Carey’s favor. Really curious.
I also can’t wait to see that matchup( hoping for practice tapesomeday) and they both are winners and intense competitors both trying to force their will on the other could be explosive. Probably will test Franks newfound composure at some point. It’s gonna be hatred or mutual respect bonding.

Frank is the better distributor and passer, better shooter, and better defender. As well as being bigger and stronger. Of course he has the advantage with experience and knowledge of the offense and defense.

Carey is quicker and gets to the basket better.

It’s not “overreaction.” It’s exaggeration or hyperbole. And I’d like to quibble with some of your own hyperbole and generalizations. JB almost never says “best”; he usually says, no player or no team “has ever been better.” Meaning they’re at least equal but not necessarily better or best. Also, when it comes to the preseason expectations, he understands the media and knows that preseason chatter and preseason rankings will help get his team more coverage early on, so he’s not afraid to advocate for his team with the national media. Also, when he feels his team isn’t getting enough love going into the season (i.e. 2009-2010), he’ll stump for them. Of course, as a smart coach he wants to avoid his teams getting too cocky and overconfident, so I think he tries to thread a needle. As for 2016-17 season (the White and Gillian team), he never said they would be the best. He said that on paper, that team had everything you needed to win—shooting, guard play, forwards, rim protection—and that they *had a chance to be one of his best teams in a while.* He categorically never said they would be the best. That’s hyperbole, generalization and operating from poor memory on your part. We all know that team disappointed—and there were various reasons for that, including two fifth year transfers that struggled to learn the zone, plus the loss of center spot rim protection with Coleman and Paschal’s injuries. But JB was right to believe they *had a chance* to be *one of his best teams in a while.* That was purposely vague but many people believed it would automatically come true. I, too, had high expectations for that season and was disappointed. Big deal. Welcome to sports fandom. It’s part of the game.

Everything is always the best. “It’s the best we’ve ever played, the best defense we’ve ever had, he’s better than anyone else, etc. He says things like this every year. He totally overreacts.
Couldn't disagree more. JB has been pretty much the opposite of that his whole career. Just in very recent years has he been that complimentary. Yeah the one year, they were looking that good on paper. Problem is nobody can know how new players will gel, buy into the zone D, etc. They had the tools.

Every year since I followed SU if you listen to Jim's pre-season presser about his team you get the picture for the season. He doesn't B.S. on his strengths and weakness. But you must LISTEN

Every year since I followed SU if you listen to Jim's pre-season presser about his team you get the picture for the season. He doesn't B.S. on his strengths and weakness. But you must LISTEN
yup. he is not always correct in his assessment, but on that topic, he always gives his honest opinion.

I disagree I feel like he is brutally honest and doesn’t normally hype it up. He was wrong about the team a few years back and didn’t expect them to struggle so much on defense. He has said he regrets saying that on multiple occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom