Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are highlights of Benny last year from one game. The big difference from last year to this year is confidence.
Also level of competition. He’s had a tough time with stronger and better players guarding him, attributing to him lacking with his confidence and then not being able to settle into his game. Year two with added strength and work on his game with more time adjusting to the college level should make for a big jump...we’re gonna need it too.

RF, did you watch Jeff Goodman and Mike Waters on Waters’ podcast from last week? They both seem convinced that Cuse will follow the Duke and UNC model and stay in house with Red or Gmac.
Two assistant competing to take over as head coach? That’s what happened at SCLSU when Red Beaulieu and Mr. Coach Klein went head to head. That ended badly.
1644124693440.jpeg

Also level of competition. He’s had a tough time with stronger and better players guarding him, attributing to him lacking with his confidence and then not being able to settle into his game. Year two with added strength and work on his game with more time adjusting to the college level should make for a big jump...we’re gonna need it too.

If you watch closely you see the problems he brought with him. When he attacks, he dips his shooting hand shoulder down and shows the ball low. This is his issue being stripped and then blocked by smaller and larger players.

He needs to use his left shoulder for space to then go up with the right. He is creating zero space for himself.

He does the same on his jumper. Release point is way too low. It invites the defender to get a piece.

Main issue is he is struggling to properly use his body and athleticism at this level. Disappointing that IMG staff didn't do a better job getting him ready.

And now back to Judah.

If we get, do we sell Copeland on playing a combo the first year, or some Point Forward. Not sure what the conversation with him looks like

This kid is really good and would fit perfectly in this offense. However, SU has been down this road. JB will get a commitment then at the last minute he will except a G-League contract. I'm still gun shy on these high end recruits making it to SU.

Oh yeah…he’s JJ level
Mintz would be a great add after missing out on JJ. Probably doesn't bode well for QC's playing time

Mintz is one of those guys that his game isn't super smooth or pretty but it's extremely effective. And effective/productive is what we need. Fair to say we have had our share of guys who fit that mold and have been good for us.

If we get, do we sell Copeland on playing a combo the first year, or some Point Forward. Not sure what the conversation with him looks like
I honestly think not much changes, we already had Q and JT locked while we were chasing JJ and had he committed here he would have taken a lot of open minutes on next years team. You would think that both those guys to some extent realized that. Judah quite literally seems to be JJs replacement. They have similar games and both are in the same combo guard mold. All three of these guys have different games though, so while open minutes may be conflicting for everybody in year one, all these guys should still be able to play their role and possibly compliment each other well, if they all come back for their sophomore season.
Quadir is more of attacking/distributing pg Taylor is more of a wing than a pure 2 but will still play both 2/3 and Mintz is more of a scoring guard who will play the 1/2.

This is my personal opinion, but I don’t think the staff necessarily guarantees high school recruits ‘minutes’ per say. I think the pitches are probably more along the lines of ‘we have a spot open for a player of your position and if you come here there’s a path to getting minutes’ and I think competition at the college level goes without saying. All of these guys will have to compete to earn minutes no matter where they go, that’s if they want to attend a good basketball school.

I think the staff probably just needs to convince them that there’s a spot suited just for them and it’s up for the taking...that’s how I see it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.