Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if we have a legit shot here but would be great if we got him. Would really help our line up and clear roles for next year. Think he would start day 1.

PG-Mintz
SG-Girard
SF-Transfer portal player
PF-Benny
C-Jesse

Rotation:
Symir
Frank
Justin Taylor
Bunch

Spot minutes
Copeland
Brown
Carey

Ideally I think that is best case scenario and would be a good team. We would need a kickass transfer SF/PF though. Someone athletic and who can score the basketball. Not someone who is going to be a defensive liability either. There will be plenty of wings out there in the portal to choose from. We just need ONE. Athletic, can score the ball and above average on defense. All we need lol

Obviously it’s too early with the freshman to know for sure the rotation but that’s just my best guess. Seems as though Brown is going to be a stud rebounder and if I had to guess a great defender. Seems like he will be more of a garbage man on offense with putbacks and not much going through him offensively but wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually in the rotation next year just based on rebounding and defensive ability alone

So, potentially:
PG: Mintz, Symir, Copeland
SG: JG3, Taylor
SF: Swider, Bunch
PF: Benny, Brown
C: Jesse, Frank, Carey

That is a squad.
I like that group. I really think you need 5 guys who can play G. 2 starters, 2 backups and one in case of injury. You can get by with 4 if you have a decent ball handling swing F.

What would worry me about Mintz's recruitment is logjam at Guard - NC State likely promising lead guard available for the taking with Seabron leaving after this year. Pretty intriguing offer vs battling 4 others at the same position at SU.
For what its worth, NC St has 4 guards, not even including Seabron, that seem to be in their rotation that have eligibility to return for next year. There will probably be competition there too depending on the portal.

Sell him on Buddy leaving which frees up minutes, move JG3 to the 2 and there is his path to playing time.

I like Symir and think he should be playing more but I dont know if he is good enough to be an ACC starter playing 30 mins/gm.

Last edited:
Actually friends with Woody. Mintz started HS at Gonzaga. My son taught him in a class when he wa teaching there. Our last guard to begin career at Gonzaga was Frank btw.

I remember when Gonzaga came up and played in the Stop DWI tourney in Binghamton

I remember when Gonzaga came up and played in the Stop DWI tourney in Binghamton
Used to be a great tournament with a ton of high level programs from the east coast. Christ the King and a bunch of NYC teams used to regularly play there. GMac’s team played there too his senior year - Boeheim & Hop were there after he committed. You could tell right away he was really good.

Used to be a great tournament with a ton of high level programs from the east coast. Christ the King and a bunch of NYC teams used to regularly play there. GMac’s team played there too his senior year - Boeheim & Hop were there after he committed. You could tell right away he was really good.

Yep I grew up 20 mins south of there and my buddy's dad reffed those games for many years so went every year including that one. Was always fun going up there. My HS team got to play in the regional bracket one year as well. Was in the same senior class/year as Gerry. Pretty cool going to SU as a frosh the following year too...

Yep I grew up 20 mins south of there and my buddy's dad reffed those games for many years so went every year including that one. Was always fun going up there. My HS team got to play in the regional bracket one year as well. Was in the same senior class/year as Gerry. Pretty cool going to SU as a frosh the following year too...
Matt Gorman was in the regional bracket that year - he wasn’t nearly as good. Wish they still had it at that level.

I really could see Copeland redshirting
I feel like it rarely makes sense to redshirt in basketball these days. Health isn't generally an issue for guys who need to develop their bodies like it is in football. Guys are looking to get their minutes in and move on to a pro league asap. They only need one solid season to do that. If they redshirt, they font get the minutes in practice that they get off they might play.

Probably a long shot but very interesting.

A lot of their kids did very well with us, but I guess the main connection with Coach Smith was Troy Weaver (who is running an NBA team, last time I checked ...).

Wish we could get that going again! The New England Prep leagues have been our primary feeding ground these past 5-10 years. We have to do better in Philly, do better in Baltimore (PLAY BENNY!), do better in Detroit. Red is the guy from the DMV; c'mon Red, let's open that door again with Coach Smith!

Sorry I'm not up on this stuff, but where exactly is Cole Swider going next year???

Anyone know if this kid is Jewish?

I dunno. But his name makes me picture this kid.

superbad GIF

Judah Mintz is on ESPN+ at 1pm. There’s a big tournament in Jersey today though Saturday, we should have coaches there. All of the eight NIBC teams will be there plus a lot of other top teams with players like DJ Wagner, Lively, and Wilcher. This is the last weekend of NIBC teams playing against each other. Wasatch plays later today at the second site that’s not streamed.

Bunch plays Mintz tomorrow at 5pm on ESPN+. All games from the main site are streamed on ESPN+. Two games are on ESPNU beginning today at 3pm. JJ Starling plays IMG at 5pm on ESPNU.

Not sure if we have a legit shot here but would be great if we got him. Would really help our line up and clear roles for next year. Think he would start day 1.

PG-Mintz
SG-Girard
PF-Benny
C-Jesse

Rotation:
Symir
Frank
Justin Taylor
Bunch

Spot minutes
Copeland
Brown
Carey

Ideally I think that is best case scenario and would be a good team. We would need a kickass transfer SF/PF though. Someone athletic and who can score the basketball. Not someone who is going to be a defensive liability either. There will be plenty of wings out there in the portal to choose from. We just need ONE. Athletic, can score the ball and above average on defense. All we need lol

Obviously it’s too early with the freshman to know for sure the rotation but that’s just my best guess. Seems as though Brown is going to be a stud rebounder and if I had to guess a great defender. Seems like he will be more of a garbage man on offense with putbacks and not much going through him offensively but wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually in the rotation next year just based on rebounding and defensive ability alone
Has Cole said he is leaving SU. It would be awesome having he and Benny for year two in the system. Allows the Freshmen a year to grow and learn.

PG-Mintz
SG-Girard
PF-Benny
C-Jesse

Rotation:
Symir
Frank
Justin Taylor
Bunch

Spot minutes
Copeland
Brown
Carey

This is exactly my thinking, especially when it comes to a transfer.

Has Cole said he is leaving SU. It would be awesome having he and Benny for year two in the system. Allows the Freshmen a year to grow and learn.

Cole, Benny and Maliq Brown would be a very solid F rotation next year. I am not sold on Bunch as a big contributor as a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom