Class of 2016 - PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
How this staff uses the 10th scholarship is going to tell me a lot about their recruiting savvy.

I

RF2044 said:
Yeah--they'd sure deserve criticism and outrage for taking a five-star, #8 rated player in the class.

If we want to wait until next spring, which I don't see happening.

RF2044 said:
Let's see how it plays out instead of making definitive declarations based upon partial information.

I'm on board.

Agree with Jake / 007. That's not to say that I wouldn't want to see us land Simmons, but given the scholarship restrictions and the relatively few number we'll have available in the next two classes, we need to optimize our additions by bringing in guys who can contribute early and make an impact. We can't afford another McCullough-esque swing and miss on an athletic one-and-done who barely makes a dent.

Its quite a dilemma, because I agree that Simmons would be an incredible two year player who most likely is going to be a one-and-done due to his physical tools. Its a gamble.
It's only a dilemma if we have other good options...which it doesn't appear we do. I like Gilbert but many seem to feel he's more likely a Louisville or Texas (Shaka) lean. It seems like its these 2 or settle for a sub top 100 kid with a lot of flaws who won't contribute much (like another Patterson) or go with just Joseph. I'll take a top 8 rated kid for a year in this situation...and be very happy.

It's only a dilemma if we have other good options...which it doesn't appear we do. I like Gilbert but many seem to feel he's more likely a Louisville or Texas (Shaka) lean. It seems like its these 2 or settle for a sub top 100 kid with a lot of flaws who won't contribute much (like another Patterson) or go with just Joseph. I'll take a top 8 rated kid for a year in this situation...and be very happy.

Huerter is top 100, and will climb more IMO. He is already blowing up this summer, and young for his grade. See Francis recruiting updates, but I think we should consider offering him for 2016.

Huerter is top 100, and will climb more IMO. He is already blowing up this summer, and young for his grade. See Francis recruiting updates, but I think we should consider offering him for 2016.
Isn't Huerter more of a 2G than a PG? I'd like to bring in a true PG and not another "combo" as they usually have handle and PG instinct issues. Take a shot at Simmons/Gilbert in 2016 (whoever commits first). If we offer Huerter for 2017 and work on the relationship they can always change it to 2016 later if they miss on the other 2.

Isn't Huerter more of a 2G than a PG? I'd like to bring in a true PG and not another "combo" as they usually have handle and PG instinct issues. Take a shot at Simmons/Gilbert in 2016 (whoever commits first). If we offer Huerter for 2017 and work on the relationship they can always change it to 2016 later if they miss on the other 2.

But I think the question is what if both Simmons and Gilbert drag out their decision and Huerter decides he wants to commit to someone early? For me, as much as I'd love to see Simmons in orange, if he plans to wait until the spring, I think we may need to move on to try and prevent being left in a lurch.

It's funny - I've seen two tapes. Totally unpressed by one, blown away by the other. I tend to agree with you in that he's a great athlete, might not be the most skilled.

The problem with recruiting these types is that you end up only getting the raw player and they jump at the first indications that their game is developing.

Great point but when has that ever occurred? I can't seem to think of any examples. :confused:

Nicknack said:
Great point but when has that ever occurred? I can't seem to think of any examples. :confused:

Kidding right? Grant, Donte, McCullough...

I think that was the point he was making, Jake. Fine tune that sarcasm detector! ; )

To be clear, yes, RF, you are absolutely correct. I couldn't have been more sarcastic if I tried. Jake - I am 100% agreement with your post which is why I gave it a "like"... I was just having fun at what I thought was a very obvious comment.

Kobi attended the Curry camp and also made the Under Armour Elite 24 showcase. Alpharettacuse or anyone from down there is anyone from our staff going to the Adidas Gauntlet Finale in Suwanee? Kobi also did an interview with Sc oats Evan Daniels the other day. It sucks not having Francis posting.

SU is in the drivers seat. The staff made great strides against UNC. Visits mean nothing. We have our PG. End of the story. I'll stand by my prediction.

Oor, just curious if you have any info on how battle reopening his recruitment impacts your prediction

Oor, just curious if you have any info on how battle reopening his recruitment impacts your prediction

Battle re-opened his recruitment?:rolling:OMG, then I guess we're all set and I was wrong. I can bea wiseguy too

Battle re-opened his recruitment?:rolling:OMG, then I guess we're all set and I was wrong. I can bea wiseguy too

No i was serious... I wasnt trying to be an ass. Kobi rated higher some places. I took your posts as you having inside knowledge. Did the staff cool on kobi as well? Because that could be further indication of battle's intentions

Either we don't like our chances with Battle now or we feel like we are getting almost all our schollies back and we want Battle and Simmons. If we get both I will be so pumped I will be speechless and we would have to be close to the favorites to win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom