Class of 2017 - PG Makai Ashton-Langford Transfer from Providence to BC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Makai Ashton-Langford Transfer from Providence to BC

Everyone knows it's a dead period right? Recruiting doesn't start again until next Thursday.
Started yesterday. That doesn't explain what appears to be such a commitment to Howard and the passing on other kids that have become available at the position. And why is Tucker the only real visit JB made?

I have yet to see anything on the court to suggest Frank should be a starting PG for SU (or any program at this level). Putting so much on him, after whatever happened off the court, based on what we've seen of his play is absolutely insane. It makes no sense. We HAVE to be bringing in someone else (someone better)...right?

I actually felt slightly nauseous when JB was giving positive comments about Frank after the season. That indicated to me he expects FH to play a big role next year. I'll be as blunt as I can on this board. FH is...okay, I have to edit myself. He's incapable. I cannot type what I want. I'll be banned if I do. If the staff didn't drop him last year, they must see something in him talent-wise that no one else with working eyes does. Scary.

I think if we get Ayala, we'd be fine at guard. Or good enough.

It wasn't dead period when Thomas allen, Blake harris, al Durham and so many others became available...yet according to reports we showed absolutely ZERO interest...i just don't get it, I really hope ayala and Tucker commit to us otherwise shame on our staff. Absolutely no reason not to be at least putting some feelers out there and showing some interest to some of these players that we need to fill our voids to see if they may have interest in our program as well..i mean c'mon, a chance to play at cuse in the acc with a opportunity at lots of playing time and having the ball in your hands a lot. Someone on our staff should know the second these guys become available (I mean most of us do) and should be having talks with jb about reaching out to them to see if there is mutual interest. Even if we land Tucker and ayala we still should be looking at some of these guys regardless...we hopefully learned our lesson about what NOT to do with the quade green situation...but man it sure feels like we didn't learn a thing:-( hopefully im wrong and I thought it was awesome to see jb out and about going after Tucker and wright...hopefully when the dead period is over we see some serious activity from our staff!

What about Ayala's situation is making them feel all warm and fuzzy? Do they have the news on his test scores? Even so, I'm not sure we are his first choice. Do they know? If so, wouldn't he have committed? I'm trying very hard not to be concerned with our staff but I'm losing more faith every day.

This is going to sound ridiculous but I would bet JB doesn't even know that this guy is available as a decommit. It sounds ridiculous, I know. But that would be my guess, sad to say. And even if he knew about it, I'd bet his response would be, "and...so...why should I care?" I'm not saying JB doesn't care about our future but he doesn't seem to be tuned into what's going on. Just my opinion, as admittedly uninformed and probably as unpopular as it may be. The dude barely uses the Internet.
That's how I view this.

Until proven otherwise, that JB part seems to make sense...

I actually felt slightly nauseous when JB was giving positive comments about Frank after the season. That indicated to me he expects FH to play a big role next year. I'll be as blunt as I can on this board. FH is...okay, I have to edit myself. He's incapable. I cannot type what I want. I'll be banned if I do. If the staff didn't drop him last year, they must see something in him talent-wise that no one else with working eyes does. Scary.

I think if we get Ayala, we'd be fine at guard. Or good enough.
I just don't know what others see in FH's skills. I've seen comparisons to past SU guards, guys who didn't necessarily have success right away. But what I've seen of his play does not lead me to believe he'll ever be a quality PG. If he could ever improve his jumper, I think he'd be more successful off the ball, but that doesn't seem like an option. He looks like a bad teammate with his actions, body language and response to being benched/taken out of games. I hate that and the idea that we'll simply let that all go AND rely on his PG skills is insane to me. I just can't believe that's what's going to happen. We have a STUD shooting guard who's going to be impacted by the play of the guard alongside him.

If we get Ayala, we'll definitely be better off. But we still seem ready to rely heavily on FH and/or hope Ayala could run the point. We don't know how Ayala will transition to the college game and we will STILL lack shooters...

"I think the PG situation to go with Frank is just their plan whether that's right or wrong."

**This is SO scary to think that they are content with him going forward based off his play this season im not sure how in the world they could feel safely about him being our starter**

I just don't know what others see in FH's skills. I've seen comparisons to past SU guards, guys who didn't necessarily have success right away. But what I've seen of his play does not lead me to believe he'll ever be a quality PG. If he could ever improve his jumper, I think he'd be more successful off the ball, but that doesn't seem like an option. He looks like a bad teammate with his actions, body language and response to being benched/taken out of games. I hate that and the idea that we'll simply let that all go AND rely on his PG skills is insane to me. I just can't believe that's what's going to happen. We have a STUD shooting guard who's going to be impacted by the play of the guard alongside him.

If we get Ayala, we'll definitely be better off. But we still seem ready to rely heavily on FH and/or hope Ayala could run the point. We don't know how Ayala will transition to the college game and we will STILL lack shooters...

If we get Ayala, IMO our only chance at pg is to hope Washington is better than most think he is. I'm on record as saying I do like HW better than most do but I'm not sure he's ready to be thrown into the fire next year. If the worst about FH being s bad teammate was his body language and demeanor, it wouldn't be so bad.

I want to take the coaching staff and shake them, saying, "what the hell are you guys doing?" The one guy on the staff I still have faith in is Red. I can't imagine he doesn't know we have issues right now but he's probably just in an awkward position where he has to go with the flow of what JB is saying and telling them to do.

Always wonder about kids who de-commit so late in the game - top HS players pay attention to how college teams are shaping up for the coming season - who is leaving their team, who is leaving other top programs etc. Either

1) Ashton-Langford the the losses of Brimah, Purvis, Facey, Vance Jackson, & Enoch would make UConn a sub .500 team again, or
2) He saw a better opportunity at another school very recently (Providence, Louisville, etc.)

Maybe it's both. We'd be crazy not to offer this kid from MA the keys to the offense from day 1 and let him be Tyler Ennis.

JB has been on the road recently recruiting Wright and Tucker. He's putting in the effort and is trying to get good players(finally). I think the PG situation to go with Frank is just their plan whether that's right or wrong.
We are going to get Tucker because of JB's effort. No clue on Wright is going to be a 2017 or 2018 guy?

We are going to get Tucker because of JB's effort. No clue on Wright is going to be a 2017 or 2018 guy?

What are you basing the first sentence on? Have you heard positive things? We need Tucker badly.

"Washington is better than most think he is. I'm on record as saying I do like HW better than most do"

I'm with you in this..i think if this kid can literally just operate our offense and distribute then we are way better off with him then anyone else going forward...he seems to have a good grasp on being a pg and running a offense which I think we have desperately been missing...people want to say he won't be ready to contribute or isn't very athletic etc but I think we are over looking the fact that he has some of the basic skills needed to play pg that we have been in need of so bad..it will be interesting to see how this all turns out

"Washington is better than most think he is. I'm on record as saying I do like HW better than most do"

I'm with you in this..i think if this kid can literally just operate our offense and distribute then we are way better off with him then anyone else going forward...he seems to have a good grasp on being a pg and running a offense which I think we have desperately been missing...people want to say he won't be ready to contribute or isn't very athletic etc but I think we are over looking the fact that he has some of the basic skills needed to play pg that we have been in need of so bad..it will be interesting to see how this all turns out

Yes. If we get Tucker and Ayala, we put those two in with Battle and what should be a well above average front court and we'd have plenty of firepower. We wouldn't necessarily need an elite point guard. We'd be fine with a game manager type. And let's face it: Washington can score. He's showing that. The kid is not a highlight reel type. So what.

What are you basing the first sentence on? Have you heard positive things? We need Tucker badly.
Tucker is going to visit and I think we will close when he visits. Their is mutual interest and the incident from the summer has been buried from our end.

I think we will get Tucker. JBs visit down their was huge.

Yes. If we get Tucker and Ayala, we put those two in with Battle and what should be a well above average front court and we'd have plenty of firepower. We wouldn't necessarily need an elite point guard. We'd be fine with a game manager type. And let's face it: Washington can score. He's showing that. The kid is not a highlight reel type. So what.

Absolutely agree with you! I would like to think that a lot of people are going to end up presently surprised with Washington's game and skill set

Tucker is going to visit and I think we will close when he visits. Their is mutual interest and the incident from the summer has been buried from our end.

image.jpeg

Can we please make either Moyer or Battle be Tucker's host on this visit?

Just saw on Twitter that said Ashton-Langford is a 100% done deal to Providence.

I love how people on this board jump on a newly available warm body like Aston-Langford and lambasts the Syracuse Staff to do their job.

Just saw on Twitter that said Ashton-Langford is a 100% done deal to Providence.

I love how people on this board jump on a newly available warm body like Aston-Langford and lambasts the Syracuse Staff to do their job.

Gee, I wonder why some people lack faith in the current recruiting strategies of the staff.

Need to secure a commitment when he is on campus. Have to land Tucker.

If we get Ayala, IMO our only chance at pg is to hope Washington is better than most think he is. I'm on record as saying I do like HW better than most do but I'm not sure he's ready to be thrown into the fire next year. If the worst about FH being s bad teammate was his body language and demeanor, it wouldn't be so bad.

I want to take the coaching staff and shake them, saying, "what the hell are you guys doing?" The one guy on the staff I still have faith in is Red. I can't imagine he doesn't know we have issues right now but he's probably just in an awkward position where he has to go with the flow of what JB is saying and telling them to do.

I'll defer to most on recruiting since it's not something I follow extremely closely and, on the surface, it certainly appears that at least tweaking some of the approach would seem to make sense. But I think it's worth pointing out that recruiting everyone and chasing every prospect you get a whiff of is not a particularly practical or effective approach either. Putting all your eggs in one basket a la Quade? Probably not ideal, but I think there's value in developing a relationship with prospects you really like and narrowing your field of vision is critical in actually landing the players you want.

At the end of the day, getting involved with every decommit can be a bit counterproductive at times as well. :noidea:

I'll defer to most on recruiting since it's not something I follow extremely closely and, on the surface, it certainly appears that at least tweaking some of the approach would seem to make sense. But I think it's worth pointing out that recruiting everyone and chasing every prospect you get a whiff of is not a particularly practical or effective approach either. Putting all your eggs in one basket a la Quade? Probably not ideal, but I think there's value in developing a relationship with prospects you really like and narrowing your field of vision is critical in actually landing the players you want.

At the end of the day, getting involved with every decommit can be a bit counterproductive at times as well. :noidea:

I agree but we are talking about top 50 guys suddenly becoming available. Top 10 point guards. Not random dudes. Good post, though. Can't offer everyone, I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom