Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us narrowing our focus to Westry, Copeland, & Starling for the PG spot is giving me serious “Kyle Lowry, AJ Price, & Josh Wright” vibes.

Let’s hope things work out better this time.

Getting them each to visit in succession is a great start.
I’m too young for that recruitment. Although I’m from Utica and obviously a Syracuse fan I know well who Josh Wright is and his story. But was that a legit recruiting scenario? We recruited all three and had a legit shot at 3? And chose Wright?

I’m too young for that recruitment. Although I’m from Utica and obviously a Syracuse fan I know well who Josh Wright is and his story. But was that a legit recruiting scenario? We recruited all three and had a legit shot at 3? And chose Wright?

Price chose UConn. SU took Wright over Lowry. He was viewed as a bit of a challenge, personality-wise. Think Waiters before Waiters. Oof, in retrospect...

I don't think that is a problem for Taylor. It might be a problem for JJ.

That's my concern... and the root of the potential issue that I see beginning to materialize.

Copeland / Westry are both PGs.

JJ and Taylor are both SGs. Lands has indicated that SG is also where the staff has recruiting him to play.

Sure, there are guys in that group who might also be able to play 3 in our system, but something's got to give. I can't envision that we'd land Copeland / Westry together -- or that we'd land JJ and Taylor together, so long as Lands is in the fold.

First world problems, I 100% acknowledge that. I don't think we can go wrong if we land any of these guys. Been a long time since we've had TOO MANY guys who want to commit here, creating overlap...

Eh there is no Josh Wright here…lol
That's a lol now. He was ranked 43rd in his class. Exactly the same as JJ and way ahead of Copeland. I could not have hated that 2004 class more coming off a national title and end up with basically nothing in the 2 Wrights.

That's my concern... and the root of the potential issue that I see beginning to materialize.

Copeland / Westry are both PGs.

JJ and Taylor are both SGs. Lands has indicated that SG is also where the staff has recruiting him to play.

Sure, there are guys in that group who might also be able to play 3 in our system, but something's got to give. I can't envision that we'd land Copeland / Westry together -- or that we'd land JJ and Taylor together, so long as Lands is in the fold.

First world problems, I 100% acknowledge that. I don't think we can go wrong if we land any of these guys. Been a long time since we've had TOO MANY guys who want to commit here, creating overlap...
Some of that I wouldn't worry about. JJ can play both the 1 and the 2. I expect Lands to play the 3. I expect Taylor to play the 2. one of the other three will play the point, if we are fortunate enough to land them. I think one of those three could still come if we get one of the three along with Taylor.

Couldn't you arguably be running a 3 or 4 guard lineup just big guards and then a big? Taylor in the Buddy role but then 3 other guys who can attack off the bounce or shoot from outside? I mean that is essentially what Baylor did.

Some of that I wouldn't worry about. JJ can play both the 1 and the 2. I expect Lands to play the 3. I expect Taylor to play the 2. one of the other three will play the point, if we are fortunate enough to land them. I think one of those three could still come if we get one of the three along with Taylor.

Less bully than you on JJ as a 1. The other two are natural PGs, whereas JJ is not at this stage of his developmental curve. But bring him in as a 2? Get out of his way and let the kid get buckets.

But I'm not down on JJ in any other way -- we'd be lucky to land him. Kid has immense TALENT.

Last edited:
As far as I’m concerned we start taking who’s willing. Of all our realistic offers, aside from maybe flip, I think our current commit has the highest upside. Im huge on Lands. Get him a guard with swag and passion like Copeland? Lets have fun

Well….sorta. We knew we couldn’t get AJ price. So it basically came down to Lowry vs Wright. Lowry showed up on his visit and wanted to commit…we wouldn’t let him and held out for Josh Wright who we knew was going to commit.

We thought Wright was a better fit for the existing team makeup and he was also local.

Lowry was pissssssssssssed.

Last edited:
Well….sorta. We knew we couldn’t get AJ price. So it basically came down to Lowry vs Wright. Lowry showed up on his visit and wanted to commit…we wouldn’t let him and held out for Josh Wright who we knew was going to commit.

We thought right was a better fit for the existing team makeup and he was also local.

As well he should have been. Sigh.

Love the player but the swag component only gets you so far with JB. Trust me on that one. One stupid play and he loses his mind. He’s old school, swag isn’t lol. But I think this kid has immense potential
Depends on the player and trust.

Happy/excited with the expectation of one or possibly two commitments this weekend. With the NBL now contacting more high schoolers, I hope that the verbal commitments stick and turn into formal commitments when the official signing date is reached.

So this is basically what Dasher said a page or two ago.

so basically as suspected. Nothing I can find.

We thought Wright was a better fit for the existing team makeup and he was also local.

Don't recall ever reading this story.. and just wow to how much that sucks in hindsight.

Happy/excited with the expectation of one or possibly two commitments this weekend. With the NBL now contacting more high schoolers, I hope that the verbal commitments stick and turn into formal commitments when the official signing date is reached.
The NBL is not bound by the NCAA LOI. So, a signature is nice, but showing up in 2022 is way better.

The NBL is not bound by the NCAA LOI. So, a signature is nice, but showing up in 2022 is way better.
That is correct but the NCAA LOI is more binding than the verbal Commitment. With the NBL and other pay to play opportunities, there is no guarantee for a commit until the games are played. Of course, there was the unfortunate cases of Mike Jones and Mark Konercey (sp) highly hyped recruits who left the team soon after their seasons started.

Status
Not open for further replies.