Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

It's been communicated to recruits and Hop has said he'll want to play a more high pressure man to man style.
tenor.gif

So our starting five could be Tremont, Tyus, ???, Tyler and Taurean. Are there any grad transfer small forwards out there that start with a T we can steal?

What coach are we hiring to teach m-2-m defense? Since all Hop knows is what JB has done. SU m-2-m is basic school yard stuff not the sophisticated switching that effective teams play.

All of the "put the zone to rest" crowd also need to realize the zone is precisely what makes us a unique matchup in the Tournament. If/when we go to M2M, we're just another run-of-the-mill team to prepare for. When the zone is good, oftentimes its better than a good pressure M2M. Just sayin'...

Time to start focusing on the post-zone JB era. Find guys that can ball, not fit the zone defense. This guy fits the bill.
Please stop with the anti-zone thing in regards to the recruit. JB would love this guy. Hop would love him too.

They've been looking for best ballers all along. John Gillon, KJ2, Flynn, and DC2 weren't brought in for the zone defense.

All of the "put the zone to rest" crowd also need to realize the zone is precisely what makes us a unique matchup in the Tournament. If/when we go to M2M, we're just another run-of-the-mill team to prepare for. When the zone is good, oftentimes its better than a good pressure M2M. Just sayin'...

True. Another reason I wanted to squeak in this year

Man how cool would it be if this guy comes to Cuse and he will be known as the modern day Hakim and Quade plays the roll of Hodge! Sorry Francis I know that's your St. Ray's Peoples!!

!
Hak.jpg

Last edited:
Newsflash: the zone has been a liability for several years... and not just on the court. But we're not looking to put it to rest... and I don't think Hop is either. It'll be something we can use when the situation calls for it, and that will partly depend on having the right personnel. I just think many of us are so sick of seeing it ALL the time that we just want some friggin' space.

Two things. First you have to get in the tournament to roll out the zone. Two, we got lit up from three by practically everybody this year. Didn't matter if they had played us before or not. Why would it be different in the tournament?

Newsflash: the zone has been a liability for several years... and not just on the court. But we're not looking to put it to rest... and I don't think Hop is either. It'll be something we can use when the situation calls for it, and that will partly depend on having the right personnel. I just think many of us are so sick of seeing it ALL the time that we just want some friggin' space.

Newsflash: you are stating your opinion as fact.

I think we should have played man against MTSU just like Michigan State did.

Everyone plays some zone now, very little "fluster" effect these days...

Two things. First you have to get in the tournament to roll out the zone. Two, we got lit up from three by practically everybody this year. Didn't matter if they had played us before or not. Why would it be different in the tournament?
This years team was not good defensively. It wouldn't have mattered the defense we played. He is referring to previous teams that were very good defensively. Like the 2013 team that made the final 4.

So our starting five could be Tremont, Tyus, ???, Tyler and Taurean. Are there any grad transfer small forwards out there that start with a T we can steal?

I know it isnt ideal but right now Moyer is plugged into that spot. He has the correct body type as a SF but not the skill set. Paul Harris didnt have the skillset yet either but he played SF throughout his career at Syracuse

Disagree with first part but agree with the rest...

Yes with how well this team can shoot (granted on ISO mostly and contested shots) the zone is a weapon in the tourney even when it is bad. Hopefully you draw an opponent with an inept coaching staff/scouting and the players lock or freeze-up during games and fall into the trap of passing it back and forth on the perimeter.

I cannot stand 100% zone. Mostly because we let inferior teams dictate tempo often. But I realize it can be a legit weapon in the Tourney setting. Double-edged sword I guess.

Reactions: MGP
Zone was not good this year so really no argument. How about the years it has been good/great? #1 those years we do get in the Tourney and #2 the zone tends to be a difference maker in how far we advance...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom