Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

The zone is good when it gets turnovers. We get turnovers by having long athletic teams to intercept passes.Small guards are not a fit for the zone if you are going to play it 100% of the time.

The problem with the zone is we play it 100% of the time we aren't pressing. If JB mixed like 5-10% man to man into the D when the zone struggled it would give the team a chance when the opponent was hot.

JB saying our team can't play man to man is just him defending his decision not to do it. We played zone throughout his career but until 2010 he would sprinkle in some man to man. He refuses to do it now even if his personnel don't fit the zone. That isn't smart.
Actually, when I was in school, cue in the line about the stone ages, we played more man than zone. Jb always thought of himself as a zone expert but we played a lot of man.

Honestly, I don't even mind playing the zone nearly exclusively, but I also see the positives in converting to a system more like Louisville's. In the very least, I think being able to switch things up when one system isn't working is a good thing to have. Lean on the 2-3 if you want, but if a team comes out and is simply murdering it like we see from time to time, have a backup plan besides just "packing it in/extending it out".
But, then you have to develop a bench, chose in-game substitution patterns, you know, actually coach...

But, then you have to develop a bench, chose in-game substitution patterns, you know, actually coach...

IDK, I think the bench stuff is overrated. I happen to think Florida State plays too many guys and it has cost them games because they don't play their best players enough. Coach K only played 6-7 guys this year and he's got about 11 Mcdonald's All Americans.

Right. Because as we all know, JB just rolls the ball out and lets them play, and never makes any in-game adjustments.
He's horrible with feeling through the game with lineups. Much more comfortable with putting best 5 out there as long as humanly possible... Maybe throw a press, that's it...

He's horrible with feeling through the game with lineups. Much more comfortable with putting best 5 out there as long as humanly possible... Maybe throw a press, that's it...

He is one of the all time best coaches in terms of offensive adjustments, bar none.

He is one of the all time best coaches in terms of offensive adjustments, bar none.
I'm talking 70 year old Boeheim... The dictionary has a pic of JB under definition of dogmatic.

Actually, when I was in school, cue in the line about the stone ages, we played more man than zone. Jb always thought of himself as a zone expert but we played a lot of man.
Before the 3 point line it would have been a smarter time to be a dominant zone team. My point was though JB would sprinkle the zone in with m2m defense.
Making teams take long 2s are the worst shots in basketball. With a 3 point line atleast it makes teams who play zone pay if they make their shots.

I'm talking 70 year old Boeheim... The dictionary has a pic of JB under definition of dogmatic.

What you are suggesting is the epitome of dogma -- it's a talking point used to criticize Boeheim--who is far from perfect--which doesn't have much basis in fact. People also take his dedication to the zone come hell or high water to imply that he is inflexible in other aspects of his in-game coaching, which he is not.

Before the 3 point line it would have been a smarter time to be a dominant zone team. My point was though JB would sprinkle the zone in with m2m defense.
Making teams take long 2s are the worst shots in basketball. With a 3 point line atleast it makes teams who play zone pay if they make their shots.
The other side of that is that with a shot clock, it gives a offensive team only a short time period to break the zone.

What you are suggesting is the epitome of dogma -- it's a talking point used to criticize Boeheim--who is far from perfect--which doesn't have much basis in fact. People also take his dedication to the zone come hell or high water to imply that he is inflexible in other aspects of his in-game coaching, which he is not.
I'm not just talking about the zone. His views on using a bench, his offensive game plan, his criticism of only "certain" players every year...

Can the staff reach out to him or HS coach before release paper work completed/have they yet?

The zone is good when it gets turnovers. We get turnovers by having long athletic teams to intercept passes.Small guards are not a fit for the zone if you are going to play it 100% of the time.

The problem with the zone is we play it 100% of the time we aren't pressing. If JB mixed like 5-10% man to man into the D when the zone struggled it would give the team a chance when the opponent was hot.

JB saying our team can't play man to man is just him defending his decision not to do it. We played zone throughout his career but until 2010 he would sprinkle in some man to man. He refuses to do it now even if his personnel don't fit the zone. That isn't smart.

Nobody is saying that the zone is useless and is the devil. 100% zone is what most have a beef with. Nothing wrong with hoping that Hop can turn us into Louisville on steroids. Recruits seem to be really excited about that. We have had more kids recently say that they don't want to play 100% zone because it's all they hear from the competition and it's a reason why we have hardly sniffed any top 20 talent as of late.

I don't want to sidetrack this more than it has already. I didn't say it wouldn't be beneficial to both recruiting or to actual play if we mixed in more press and man to man. I think that makes sense. I just think when things go south around here, people pin it on the zone to an unwarranted extent.

The zone has done more for Syracuse historically than it has done us harm. If you can mix in man without sacrificing the chance at being "MCW>Atlanta FF good", go for it.

Back to Waters.

Unless Hop decides to take a stand here, expect our "lead recruiter" in training to get another shot to make up for the Quade Green L once Waters gets his release. Not joking guys.
Ck_xxO-UoAElguK.gif

Incorrect.
Statistically - yes - this is the first year the core metrics bottomed out, but you also have to consider whether playing at the near-slowest tempo in division I is also reducing the margin for error. Not to mention Francis and others have implied that the zone emphasis has likely contributed to our recruiting struggles as well. Both in terms of negative recruiting and the fact that players (save one or two exceptions) never cite the zone as a unique attraction that made them decide to sign with SU.

Unless Hop decides to take a stand here, expect our "lead recruiter" in training to get another shot to make up for the Quade Green L once Waters gets his release. Not joking guys.
View attachment 91934

How many games did he shoot like 3-15 for the first 35 minutes and then bury a couple big 3's down the stretch to give us the lead, and then make all the FT's in the final seconds to bring home the W? Maybe he'll be the same way as a recruiter...

View attachment 91934
If GMac is leading this recruitment over Hopkins himself I mean we deserve what we get and the complaints won't go away.

This move would make no sense. I mean seriously.

View attachment 91934
Cmon you're pulling our chain!!!

Is Hopkins physically unable? Is this a JB decree? I think we all hope Gerry proves us wrong but... smh... the 2017 season hangs in the balance.

I mean let Hopkins handle the recruitment and publicly give all the credit to GMac I don't care.

You don't go into a battle without your best doing it. Last summer atleast Hop had USA Basketball stuff to handle. If Gmac i handling this recruitment now then I honestly don't get it. There is no way Gmac is a better recruiter over Hop.

Maybe Hop has to go to NJ and see Quinerly. I really hope Hop steps in and says he will handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom