Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

JB won't snake the kid after he commits to Beilein. Unlike CFB coaches don't really recruit commited CBB recruits.

F Beilein.

Wait until the interview where Battle says the biggest factor in his choosing UM was that "the SU program is in a shambles", kind of like what Bryant had to say. That would only be coming from one place given last week he was setting up official visits to SU.

The short version of the story is that we were on this kid very early [I think we offered his freshman year, and might have been his first offer], which enabled the coaching staff to culitvate a relationship with the family and build that relationship over multiple years. Because of that, the father has become a big fan of our program and HOF head coach. SU is relatively "close" to where they live in NJ compared to the other schools on his list, meaning it would be easier for the family to come watch their son play in person at SU than at any of the other programs. Our staff has offered to hand him the keys and put the ball in his hands, which is appealing. Lastly, we've made it known that he is the lone backcourt guy we are recruiting [I know there's been some news about us getting involved with others], so we are making it known that he's our top guy and we're committing to him. That isn't necessarily the case at Duke / Louisville.

None of the above means that we're going to land him, but those are the reasons why many feel like we're the team to beat out for his services.

This whole blurb above is spot-on. The highlighted section is accurate but it's also a major problem. I play poker and the staff completely misread our hand on this one. We acted like we were holding the nut flush, but we didn't read the board correctly. We put all our chips in middle and apparently didn't even come close to having the best possible hand. The "tell" is that the Battle didn't even make his planned visit. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with the Battle family for that. I know they said a decision could come at any time but that does seem like a lack of tact, considering our commitment to the kid.

Landing Battle or Bryant for that matter would have kind of put us back in the college bball circle on a positive note. Instead it seems like we are still reeling and backpedaling which started with the loss to Cal @ MSG.

The reeling started pretty much right after we were 25-0 in 2013. It's been a healthy helping of shite sandwich ever since then, for the most part.

The reeling started pretty much right after we were 25-0 in 2013. It's been a healthy helping of shite sandwich ever since then, for the most part.

Yep. Once Ennis decided he was gone and stopped playing for the team, we were done. Then Grant got hurt and Robe wasn't ready.

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Holy . I wake up from a great nap to read this?! Good god, I hope I never see the staff put all of their eggs in one basket again. We might have had a golden opportunity to land Murray slip through our fingers by putting all of our chips on Battle. How many of us, myself included, were screaming for the staff to just offer Murray?

I don't know, despite the good vibes of late, never felt good about this. Most kids who commit to SU do it right away. When they hold back for some time, it's generally because they're questioning something.

Holy . I wake up from a great nap to read this?! Good god, I hope I never see the staff put all of their eggs in one basket again. We might have had a golden opportunity to land Murray slip through our fingers by putting all of our chips on Battle. How many of us, myself included, were screaming for the staff to just offer Murray?

Too many of us. Tee and I watched Murray in person at the Mary Kline and were very impressed. The kid is a star and plays with a flair (Whooooo, Nature Boy fans) for making the spectacular play. I just don't get it. At all.

I don't know, despite the good vibes of late, never felt good about this. Most kids who commit to SU do it right away. When they hold back for some time, it's generally because they're questioning something.

Same here, to be honest not surprised at all. Something just felt off the entire time about his recruitment. Plenty of other options and Syracuse has probably already offered Murray today.

Wait, stop the presses. You never felt good about this? ;) There's a shocker.

iommi said:
Wait, stop the presses. You never felt good about this? ;) There's a shocker.

Well, you did? Well, you were wrong. And I was right.

I agree. I just never got a good vibe about his recruitment, as much as people insisted that we were the leaders. It just never felt like that to me.

I don't think we are bereft at the point with Joseph and Howard. of course, if they do well, they could fly the coop.

Too many of us. Tee and I watched Murray in person at the Mary Kline and were very impressed. The kid is a star and plays with a flair (Whooooo, Nature Boy fans) for making the spectacular play. I just don't get it. At all.

I'll be shocked if Murray makes it to 2016.

Moyer committing is basically the last good thing that has happened with the bball program. Everything else has seemingly went the wrong direction. Its not the end of the world but one has to start wondering and with JB officially on his way out in 2/3 years we are also loosing that long time stability that guaranteed winning. I think its completely reasonable to begin to worry at least until we are able to lock up a stud guard for 2016 and or get some relief from the appeals.

I don't worry about basketball in May. Sports is supposed to be fun.

I don't think we are bereft at the point with Joseph and Howard. of course, if they do well, they could fly the coop.

Both Howard and Joseph have to be categorized as projects. Howard has played PG for literally one year; they are a LONG way away from being good enough to fly the coop (to the NBA).

And it's exactly that flair and "alpha dog" mentality that impressed me more in his videos than Battle's. I really think we need that kind of player in '16.

iommi said:
I felt good about it because I trusted our staff and the all-in strategy we seemingly took. I'm upset that Battle is not ours. I hope you are as well.

No doubt, I'm upset. Things seemed to be looking up with Battle. But something didn't seem right. If he really liked SU, this would have been over weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom