Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

I doubt the sanctions matter since we sent the entire coaching staff last month to visit him and we less schollys their is more PT available.

you are delusional. but so is almost every other Orange fan on this board, even many of the usually well-grounded ones

those sanctions were designed to cripple the program, and they have.

It can still be softened if we come away with Simmons/Gilbert/Murray, of course.

I'd be happy with any of those three but it is concerning that we were unable to close the deal on a guy we recruited for 3 years and was our top priority. There is no other way to say it unfortunately. With Bryant you could tell that the staff knew he was likely going out of town and they basically let it lay where it was and didn't put on a push. With Battle we were pushing right to the end with an inhome and scheduled official.

As bad as these past couple months have been its not all bad. We have a top recruiting class coming in, we have Mathew Moyer committed, we are still in it for a few very good 2016 guards, we know Boehiem's timeline and when Hopkins will most likely take over. It may suck now but I think 2 years from now we'll be right back to being really, really good.

Moyer committing is basically the last good thing that has happened with the bball program. Everything else has seemingly went the wrong direction. Its not the end of the world but one has to start wondering and with JB officially on his way out in 2/3 years we are also loosing that long time stability that guaranteed winning. I think its completely reasonable to begin to worry at least until we are able to lock up a stud guard for 2016 and or get some relief from the appeals.

you are delusional. but so is almost every other Orange fan on this board, even many of the usually well-grounded ones

those sanctions were designed to cripple the program, and they have.
Delusional? I am not a kool aid drinker. The kid loved Michigan What did the sanctions have to do with the fact he went to Duke and Louisville and declined committing. He obviously liked Michigan, but I am delusional when the entire freaking coaching staff did an in home visit and he picked Michigan.

Delusional? I am not a kool aid drinker. The kid loved Michigan What did the sanctions have to do with the fact he went to Duke and Louisville and declined committing. He obviously liked Michigan, but I am delusional when the entire freaking coaching staff did an in home visit and he picked Michigan.
the proof of a pudding is in the eating, not in how many chefs attended a seminar

Adding insult to injury, Gilberts supposedly a big lean to Uconn. Be curious to see if we offer a Quinton Rose or Howard Washington. Lets hope Murray stays in 16 and we can grab him. Wont be easy tho.

I doubt the sanctions matter since we sent the entire coaching staff last month to visit him and we less schollys their is more PT available.

What does sending the coaching staff have to do with whether the sanctions are impactful?

Answer: it doesn't. The only relevant measurable is whether we landed Battle--a kid we've ostensibly led for the entire time. We didn't land the player. And we didn't land Bryant either, who indicated that our program being in turmoil was what turned him off. We haven't heard the rationale from the Battle clan about Tyus's decision yet, but I'm guessing that the sanctions / roster limitations will prove to be a significant factor in his decision, as well.

The sanctions have been both literally and figuratively adversely impactful in a HUGE way.

There is no reason not to offer Murray now. As soon as we offer I feel like we become one of the favorites. He has always been high on Cuse even without an offer. Murray is still a great option.

I hope you are right. This would be a helluva consolation prize.

Don't get Battle so let's get Murray. Couldn't get Hodge so we got Warrick. One can dream right?

Wow. I'm shocked.

I don't know if it is the sanctions or not. But this is two major targets who we invested heavily in over a number of years stiffing us pretty damn hard. Bryant was a fairly public debacle and led to him selecting a team with severe turmoil and a coach who is a national laughing stock. And now Battle goes ahead and picks another school right on the eve of an announced official with us.

Neither of these were "graceful shutdowns." Why I have no idea but it is deeply concerning. End of the world? Hopefully not. But definitely concerning.

And the hits just keep on coming. :vomit:

I really am concerned about this one. Some people here will spin this one but the fact of the matter is he was our clear number one recruiting option for PG/ combo guard. I'm not going to say he was our only option, but he was obviously our number one choice. The staff didn't do a great job here. No, I'm not saying the staff didn't do a great job because Tyus is a Wolverine. Not at all. Recruiting wars are lost by everybody, Kentucky included. That being said, it feels like we are now going to have to scramble to land someone on his level, and that is on the staff. We really needed to keep a few more doors opened. It felt way too much like our recruiting motto was, "Tyus or Bust."

As many people here have said, the staff has dropped the ball with Jamal Murray. I can't foresee a scenario where a talent like Murray would be happy being a backup plan this late in the game. "Hey, Jamal, remember us? I know we haven't been reaching out to you much lately, but NOW we want you." :bang: I just hope we made Simmons feel wanted because if we don't land him, the other options are not in Battle's stratosphere IMO.

The eternal optimists on this board will sugar coat this, but there is no way to do so. Personally, I have been following Battle's recruitment very closely. The kid is a special talent from a great family. I wish him well in Michigan. Literally my only concern regarding Battle was whether the foot issues were becoming a chronic thing. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Last edited:

I really am concerned about this one. Some people here will spin this one but the fact of the matter is he was our clear number one recruiting option for PG/ combo guard. I'm not going to say he was our only option, but he was obviously our number one choice. The staff didn't do a great job here. No, I'm not saying the staff didn't do a great job because Tyus is a Wolverine. Not at all. Recruiting wars are lost by everybody, Kentucky included. That being said, it feels like we are now going to have to scramble to land someone on his level, and that is on the staff. We really needed to keep a few more doors opened. It felt way to much like our recruiting motto was, "Tyus or Bust."

As many people here have said, the staff has dropped the ball with Jamal Murray. I can't foresee a scenario where a talent like Murray would be happy being a backup plan this late in the game. "Hey, Jamal, remember us? I know we haven't been reaching out to you much lately, but NOW we want you." :bang: I just hope we made Simmons feel wanted because if we don't land him, the other options are not in Battle's stratosphere IMO.

The eternal optimists on this board will sugar coat this, but there is no way to do so. Personally, I have been following Battle's recruitment very closely. The kid is a special talent from a great family. I wish him well in Michigan. Literally, my only concern Battle was whether the foot issues were becoming a chronic thing. Hopefully, that's not the case.
I pretty much agree with everything here.

I really am concerned about this one. Some people here will spin this one but the fact of the matter is he was our clear number one recruiting option for PG/ combo guard. I'm not going to say he was our only option, but he was obviously our number one choice. The staff didn't do a great job here. No, I'm not saying the staff didn't do a great job because Tyus is a Wolverine. Not at all. Recruiting wars are lost by everybody, Kentucky included. That being said, it feels like we are now going to have to scramble to land someone on his level, and that is on the staff. We really needed to keep a few more doors opened. It felt way to much like our recruiting motto was, "Tyus or Bust."

The eternal optimists on this board will sugar coat this, but there is no way to do so. Personally, I have been following Battle's recruitment very closely. The kid is a special talent from a great family. I wish him well in Michigan. Literally, my only concern Battle was whether the foot issues were becoming a chronic thing. Hopefully, that's not the case.

The NCAA screwed us. And while I have hope in the appeal, the stain will sit there until we hear otherwise. The staff can only spin the sanctions so many ways. Until they are reduced or undone or nothing.. they are what they are. It can generate concern and that leads to doubt and you can do the rest. We have a solid core set up for next seasond hopefully we can add to the 2016 class still yet with simmons etc. Right now the NCAA is public enemy number 1 in this and the Bryant decision. We need to send in about a few hundred Terry Tate's to clean house.

I really am concerned about this one. Some people here will spin this one but the fact of the matter is he was our clear number one recruiting option for PG/ combo guard. I'm not going to say he was our only option, but he was obviously our number one choice. The staff didn't do a great job here. No, I'm not saying the staff didn't do a great job because Tyus is a Wolverine. Not at all. Recruiting wars are lost by everybody, Kentucky included. That being said, it feels like we are now going to have to scramble to land someone on his level, and that is on the staff. We really needed to keep a few more doors opened. It felt way too much like our recruiting motto was, "Tyus or Bust."

The eternal optimists on this board will sugar coat this, but there is no way to do so. Personally, I have been following Battle's recruitment very closely. The kid is a special talent from a great family. I wish him well in Michigan. Literally my only concern regarding Battle was whether the foot issues were becoming a chronic thing. Hopefully, that's not the case.
Yes this in a nutshell for Murry. Kid can go anywhere basically. He was at best behind Bryant on our pecking order. That damage is done

I wonder if the staff had some sort of idea this was going to happen which is why they started reaching out to other PG/Combo guard recruits this past couple of weeks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom