Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Its so bad I assume any kid who says that is not coming to SU. However, I think JB passed on a couple of dream schoolers due to potential issues.

Agreed. I think that's why we are only involved with certain kids these days, especially after the sanctions. We seem to only be going after "high" character guys maybe? Could be why some possible recruits are being looked over, if they have a shaky background.

aka Noah Vonleh and Cody Zeller...one got traded yesterday and the other is on the block. Agreed, I don't understand the appeal of Indiana and when his family talked about the problems at Cuse...Indiana isn't squeaky clean either. Numerous players dismissed in the past few seasons and we know Crean still can't figure out a zone defense.

Exactly. Zeller had to stay two years, so we pretty much equalled that with Fab Melo. And Vonleh would have been one-and-done even if he went to the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Indiana wouldn't be the first school I'd think of in terms of producing NBA centers at an above average clip.

Another 30+ posts had to be deleted in the last couple hours. How about we just lock this thread and put some people on vacation until after Battle commits somewhere? And those who are lecturing others, you're not being part of the solution, you're being part of the problem.

Dion Waiters? Dude committed in middle school.

Don't think he did, but the first time I heard of him was when we got his commitment.

It just seems like you here more about guys like Jalen Rose, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Julius Hodge, and Tony Wroten.

Another 30+ posts had to be deleted in the last couple hours. How about we just lock this thread and put some people on vacation until after Battle commits somewhere? And those who are lecturing others, you're not being part of the solution, you're being part of the problem.

Excellent thoughts, sorry if I was one of the ones lecturing with my post yesterday, just felt it was getting a little out of hand.

Ohhhhhh but 4 days ago people had him practically at SU. where is he?
just because the staff didn't feel the need to make sure us, the fan, know all of their goings on...doesn't mean there isn't a lot going on.

Last edited:
Don't think he did, but the first time I heard of him was when we got his commitment.

It just seems like you here more about guys like Jalen Rose, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Julius Hodge, and Tony Wroten.

Pretty sure Dion committed to SU before playing his first HS basketball game.

I'm curious what everyone thinks the lineup will look like next year if Battle commits. It's fairly likely that Battle, Richardson, Roberson, and Coleman (if he's still around, if not, then Diagne) start, but who gets the fifth spot? Moyer or Lydon? I would have a hard time deciding between the two...

I'm not a fan of how we've been handling recruiting lately. It makes no sense not to remain in contact with Gilbert. What exactly would be the problem with bringing Battle to Syracuse for his official visit AND remaining in contact with a five star recruit in Gilbert? You could simply tell Gilbert the truth: We've been recruiting Tyus since he was 14 and we owe it to him to continue that relationship.
It strikes me as very unprofessional and lazy to blow off guys like Gilbert

If you read the section that I quoted from the nunesmagician.com article (I hope it is ok to quote as I posted the link to the article, and it is a free article) You will notice that Gilbert said they slowed down contact, not cut it off, so I think your statement is off base.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/6...-2016-syracuse-dream-school-alterique-gilbert

"I know what you're thinking - what's the catch? Well, Gilbert also told Daniels that Syracuse has slowed down their recruitment of him, much like Thomas Bryant. That's not to say the Orange have cut off contact all together, but it has decreased."

The kids are not complete idiots, they most likely read articles or have people keep them informed on the situation. I am very skeptical about the idea that Gilbert might not have a idea that SU has Battle as a higher priority. It isn't like SU has hidden how much interest they have in Battle.

So, say they keep very active contact. Then Gilbert decides he wants to visit. Let him visit? Sure. So, he visits, loves the place and wants to commit on the spot. What do you do now? Isn't it worse to say "Sorry, but we aren't willing to accept your commitment right now, because we like another player better than you." than to just reduce how often you contact a kid? Maybe you and others feel differently, but IMO, it is much harsher to tell a kid we don't want you to visit, or we won't accept your commitment right now, than it is to just not talk/text/etc as often in order to slow the process down and draw it out.

I am willing to bet that just about every D1 coach has done this exact think to many kids. It is the way things work. The system makes it that way. When you place limits on the number of scholarships, it is inevitable. Every single coach shows interest to far more kids than they ever accept offers from.

Unprofessional - no, it is the way the system makes JB have to act.
Lazy - not at all, see above.

You may disagree with the assessment that JB seemingly has, that Battle is a better player for SU than Gilbert. You may hate how the system makes coaches treat players. But, at least in this issue, it is not fair to call JB either unprofessional or lazy.

Good post, Antiprodigy. I didn't call JB unprofessional or lazy though. I said the way we are treating Gilbert is unprofessional or lazy. The tactics, not JB. That's an important distinction.

I'm curious what everyone thinks the lineup will look like next year if Battle commits. It's fairly likely that Battle, Richardson, Roberson, and Coleman (if he's still around, if not, then Diagne) start, but who gets the fifth spot? Moyer or Lydon? I would have a hard time deciding between the two...
I think Lydon would start. A year in the program, and his shooting ability. Plus, I think he's a little more athletic than Moyer right now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I am starting to get very very concerned about the Tyus Battle situation. I, as well as others have pointed out that Tyus is no stranger to us. It should not be taking this long to commit to SU (if that is his intent) giving the familiarity between the two parties.

I hope I'm wrong, but I am starting to get very very concerned about the Tyus Battle situation. I, as well as others have pointed out that Tyus is no stranger to us. It should not be taking this long to commit to SU (if that is his intent) giving the familiarity between the two parties.
Nothing wrong with realizing you made a mistake initially, and want to take a breath and get it right this time around.

I'm concerned too but we have two guards we are looking at in Huerter and Gilbert if Battle doesn't pick us. I do hope that we at least know Battle's timetable for making a decision (on SU). I find it hard to believe that this weekend passed and our staff didn't at the very least have an idea how long the Battle family would be mulling things over. If this things drags on for weeks, it will not help us with our other targets, that is for sure.

I'm concerned too but we have two guards we are looking at in Huerter and Gilbert if Battle doesn't pick us. I do hope that we at least know Battle's timetable for making a decision (on SU). I find it hard to believe that this weekend passed and our staff didn't at the very least have an idea how long the Battle family would be mulling things over. If this things drags on for weeks, it will not help us with our other targets, that is for sure.
Perhaps Jim told them to take a little while to decide.

I think, as some others have pointed out, there very well may be some things going on behind the curtain that the Battles and the coaching staff have agreed not to take public for the time being. Tyus was committed to Michigan for one whole month before backing out last week. I have to believe that he and his family are well aware of the public perception that would result if he very quickly announced a commitment to Syracuse (or any other school for that matter). How many of us on here would end up questioning how firm that commitment is? Heck, even if he does end up committing to SU whenever the announcement comes, I can honestly say that I'll still be at least a little bit nervous about whether or not Battle actually does end up in orange. After all, Fall 2016 is still a long ways away.

If JB has put a reasonable time frame on the Tyus Battle recruitment then I'm good with that. I guess my concern is that we don't end up with a date ( Gilbert / Huerter ) to the prom so to speak.

I think, as some others have pointed out, there very well may be some things going on behind the curtain that the Battles and the coaching staff have agreed not to take public for the time being. Tyus was committed to Michigan for one whole month before backing out last week. I have to believe that he and his family are well aware of the public perception that would result if he very quickly announced a commitment to Syracuse (or any other school for that matter). How many of us on here would end up questioning how firm that commitment is? Heck, even if he does end up committing to SU whenever the announcement comes, I can honestly say that I'll still be at least a little bit nervous about whether or not Battle actually does end up in orange. After all, Fall 2016 is still a long ways away.

Agreed, except for the feeling nervous part after he commits to SU. How many times has a kid decommitted to two different programs?

I think they are going after Battle hard again, he always has been this staffs option #1. I also think they have "cooled" on Gilbert and Simmons because they want Battle to know that he is their guy, thats how bad they want him. If Battle commits elsewhere I would bet you will see Huerter get extended a commitable offer for the 2016 class. And I think Huerter is willing to wait to see how this plays out if he has a chance at coming here.

I also wouldn't be suprised if Battle commited and Huerter went to Prep for a year and then came on board the following year.

Our coaching staff has nearly 70 years of experience in high level recruiting. So I think it is safe to say they are not completely unprepared for situations like this in terms of dealing with a player who is struggling with his decision / having competing needs and interests and in terms of dealing with other recruits who may or may not also want that scholarship. I don't think it is a leap to say they are actively working this and doing the appropriate things too keep all parties as reasonably satisfied as possible that they were treated fairly while also maximizing the chances for success of our own program.

Further, I don't think it is odd that the Battle family would take their time. There is no reason for them to rush the decision and they clearly felt the Michigan decision was rushed and have learned a lesson from that. So this time around they are not going to make another hasty decision. I'm sure they understand there are many moving pieces and other players could grab scholarships before they make their decision, but they are more comfortable with that possibility than they are with making another hasty choice. As I have said in this thread before, the Battle family must be aware that Tyus is going to wind up in a good situation no matter what happens. Let's say Michigan gives his spot to someone else today and Gilbert accepts Syracuse's offer tomorrow. OK, so he might have some pangs of regret but then picks up the phone, calls Rick Pitino and he goes to Louisville - terrible tragedy... or they fill up and he goes to Duke... ZOMG call 911!

Everything is going to be fine for all in this situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom