Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

That would be IDEAL and make pretty much everyone here very happy!
In all honesty I believe that the staff really like Huerter and how he fits the teams current needs and system. Simmons is an exceptional athlete and tall at the top of the zone but lacks the shooting ability. Gilbert is a bit small and also has a questionable shot, so I wouldn't be shocked if the staff rates Huerter right up there with those two due to his length and shooting ability. So if they lost out on Gilbert and Simmons (if Battle went elsewhere) and landed Huerter, I think they would be more than fine with it. JMHO.

Good post, Antiprodigy. I didn't call JB unprofessional or lazy though. I said the way we are treating Gilbert is unprofessional or lazy. The tactics, not JB. That's an important distinction.
I had the same reaction to statements from TB [by edit, T. Bryant] ... to the effect that we had laid off him during our NCAA turmoil. While I'm sure the staff was riding the gravity chair during that period, TB was a hugely important recruit that we needed on our front line. He may have decided to "get away" no matter what we (the staff) did, but hearing him complain that he hadn't heard from the staff in a couple months was troubling.

Last edited:
I had the same reaction to statements from TB ... to the effect that we had laid off him during our NCAA turmoil. While I'm sure the staff was riding the gravity chair during that period, TB was a hugely important recruit that we needed on our front line. He may have decided to "get away" no matter what we (the staff) did, but hearing him complain that he hadn't heard from the staff in a couple months was troubling.
How hard is it for somebody on the staff, especially a kid's primary recruiter, to stay in touch on a regular basis ? What the heck else is the staff doing with their time. I find it inexcusable to hear that any kid with an outstanding scholie offer is not feeling sufficient love.

I would be happy to donate my old copy of ACT ! to the staff if that would help.

Last edited:
Further, I don't think it is odd that the Battle family would take their time. There is no reason for them to rush the decision and they clearly felt the Michigan decision was rushed and have learned a lesson from that.
I only think it's odd that they decommited from UM, but then scheduled an official to SU (and only SU) 24 hours later. If they wanted to take more time to explore all their options, then why not decommit, take a couple weeks to finalize the last two unofficials, and then take some time to make a decision. This seems like test driving a Car A 10 times, and then buying Car B you test drove once, then taking it back to the dealer ship after a month, immediately taking another test drive on Car A, and then walking off the lot saying you still don't know.

I know, I know. 17 year olds.

How hard is it for somebody on the staff, especially a kid's primary recruiter, to stay in touch on a regular basis ? What the heck else is the staff doing with their time. I find it inexcusable to hear that any kid with an outstanding scholie offer is not feeling sufficient love.

As hard as it is for some people to realize, Gilbert is their plan C or D right now. Would you rather they concentrate on him and not Battle or Huerter?

Also contrary to what Gilbert says, everything that has happened suggests we are Gilbert's place C after Uconn and Louisville.

Some kids are more needie than others. It may also simply be a reaction to Battle's official visit.

I only think it's odd that they decommited from UM, but then scheduled an official to SU (and only SU) 24 hours later. If they wanted to take more time to explore all their options, then why not decommit, take a couple weeks to finalize the last two unofficials, and then take some time to make a decision. This seems like test driving a Car A 10 times, and then buying Car B you test drove once, then taking it back to the dealer ship after a month, immediately taking another test drive on Car A, and then walking off the lot saying you still don't know.

I agree with most of this and I love the car buying analogy. I think the Battle camp scheduled the official so soon because they saw our other offersand didn't want a window for someone else to open. If Tyus had decommitted and waited a few weeks to schedule a visit to SU, he'd be risking losing his spot. :noidea:

As hard as it is for some people to realize, Gilbert is their plan C or D right now. Would you rather they concentrate on him and not Battle or Huerter?

Also contrary to what Gilbert says, everything that has happened suggests we are Gilbert's place C after Uconn and Louisville.

Considering Huerter doesn't even have an offer for '16 I would have to think he's behind Gilbert still at this point. That could change, but as of now I think they'd rather Gilbert.

Considering Huerter doesn't even have an offer for '16 I would have to think he's behind Gilbert still at this point. That could change, but as of now I think they'd rather Gilbert.

I don't think so necessarily. He has an offer for 17 and its been said we are open to 16 and are the only team he would prep for to go to 17. So he obviously likes SU a lot and perhaps the staff has said look, we want you for 17 but if we do not get our number one option for 16 (Battle) then you can have that spot. If he is willing to consider prepping to be in our 17 class then it seems highly likely that he would at least wait to see what happens with Battle.

I don't think so necessarily. He has an offer for 17 and its been said we are open to 16 and are the only team he would prep for to go to 17. So he obviously likes SU a lot and perhaps the staff has said look, we want you for 17 but if we do not get our number one option for 16 (Battle) then you can have that spot. If he is willing to consider prepping to be in our 17 class then it seems highly likely that he would at least wait to see what happens with Battle.

IMO this is spot on. RE: Battle. I think today's news with Hopkins will help give the Battle camp some clarity. Yes, Tyus is a strong one and done candidate. However, I think displaying some program cohesion and stability can't hurt.

Boy it would be sweet to have Battle come '16, be a 1-and-done and then have Huerter join for '17. At that point, with a little more size and experience, he could be Battle 2.0. As for who the coaching staff favors for '16, let's hope we never have to find out...

Boy it would be sweet to have Battle come '16, be a 1-and-done and then have Huerter join for '17. At that point, with a little more size and experience, he could be Battle 2.0. As for who the coaching staff favors for '16, let's hope we never have to find out...

IMO we will not have to find out. I'm convinced that Battle with commit in the not too distant future and then we will have to see if Huerter likes SU enough to prep. Its not as if prepping would be a bad move for him with his body type but he also has plenty of other very good options offering him for 16.

If Tyus had decommitted and waited a few weeks to schedule a visit to SU, he'd be risking losing his spot. :noidea:
That's the same game that he played with Michgan.

I would be happy to donate my old copy of ACT ! to the staff if that would help.
I agree .. the problem is, from the outside, we have no idea of what's actually happening on the ground. I still find the Bryant radio silence troubling/baffling. But you never know what went down -- he could have told SU that he wanted an out-of-town school and they pulled back. That's not the impression I got from the PS article. But I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, Bryant could have waited. If his impression was that SU's NCAA situation was chaotic (no doubt), it wouldn't have hurt to wait a month to gain some clarity; or he always had the option to call the staff to discuss the situation. The fact that he chose not to do either indicates that he may have been bound for a distant program regardless.

At the end of the day, communication is key in the recruiting process. Hopefully, there's no disconnect with Tyus Battle and the process can be smoother and less impulsive than his first commitment.

Last edited:

It could be as simple as their schedule combined with our coaching staff's schedule that forced the timing of the visit. Who knows, really. I don't think there is anything too sinister here is what I'm saying. All things in time, I'm just happy we get a second chance at TB. I feel he is such an important recruit for us.

Fly Rodder said:
I only think it's odd that they decommited from UM, but then scheduled an official to SU (and only SU) 24 hours later. If they wanted to take more time to explore all their options, then why not decommit, take a couple weeks to finalize the last two unofficials, and then take some time to make a decision. This seems like test driving a Car A 10 times, and then buying Car B you test drove once, then taking it back to the dealer ship after a month, immediately taking another test drive on Car A, and then walking off the lot saying you still don't know. I know, I know. 17 year olds.
Ding ding ding...

Agreed. And that is why [circumstantially] many of us felt that him visiting SU right after the decommit was a strong positive sign about his intentions.

Here we are, a week later...

Really hope we land this kid.

Agreed. And that is why [circumstantially] many of us felt that him visiting SU right after the decommit was a strong positive sign about his intentions.

Here we are, a week later...

Really hope we land this kid.
I really hope he chooses SU as well and still think we're in a good place. I hope the Battles were waiting for something, perhaps the Hopkins announcement, and now will be ready to move on. I think he'd be a great asset, but also think SU is going to have a run before JB leaves whether Tyus joins the party or if some other talented kid joins in. I'm a tad on the optimistic side, but think the stars are aligned for JB to go out with a flourish. Tyus Battle, come on down!!

I also think it's interesting he hasn't scheduled that last unofficial visit either.
You mean "official", right? He can have as many unofficial visits to as many schools as he'd like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom