Phil Steele Preview | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

We have outstanding coordinators on both sides of the ball, an experienced dual threat QB, one of the best RBs in the country, a very solid back 8 on defense, and a reasonably talented and experienced OL(which is about as good as it gets for us at that position).

If we get decent DL and WR play and our best guys stay healthy, I don’t see how we don’t have a great chance to be above .500?

We were 5-7 last year, lost a number of close games, and on paper we got better.

QUARTERBACK
Kid pretty much won a couple games with his legs.

We can acknowledge his shaky accuracy, but we also have to acknowledge that his running and competitiveness are special.

Personally, I’m banking on his throwing being better and more consistent - because it’s his second year here as a starter and he’s athletic and hard working. I feel way more confident that his accuracy will improve than I did that Tommy would magically learn how to play football during actual games.

We can acknowledge his shaky accuracy, but we also have to acknowledge that his running and competitiveness are special.

Personally, I’m banking on his throwing being better and more consistent - because it’s his second year here as a starter and he’s athletic and hard working. I feel way more confident that his accuracy will improve than I did that Tommy would magically learn how to play football during actual games.
And if we get some receivers who catch more then they drop we could be very good.

And if we get some receivers who catch more then they drop we could be very good.
With and OC who schemes to get receivers in a position to be open, my guess is that receivers who drop the ball will not be seeing the field much.

We don't need a miracle improvement in the passing game to see a huge improvement in the offense. We only need enough to keep defenses honest, Tucker and the Beard have proven that they will punish defenses on the ground. If we have any reasonable game through the air, we can expect at least two more wins, possibly more.

Yes, the biggest lessons I learned from the Sterlin Gilbert era at Syracuse were

1) Gilbert was awful at game planning and play calling and

2) USF fans were a lot smarter than I thought they were

It looks like Sterlin will not be coaching in 2022. He might never coach again. But if he ever does get hired again as an OC, I bet you some crazed USF fans will find their way to the main message board of whoever was foolish enough to hire him, and warn their fans of impending doom.

Those fans will never forgive Sterlin for what he did to the Bulls.

Dang straight Tex. I mean Tom

D72FD66A-E278-4D20-9A89-0E99CF7351F8.jpeg

Right now he’s a future TE. The ACC is loaded at QB, Schrader needs to be significantly better to not have a huge disadvantage. I hope he’s doing the work. He’s a good athlete, that’s about all we have seen.

Right now he’s a future TE. The ACC is loaded at QB, Schrader needs to be significantly better to not have a huge disadvantage. I hope he’s doing the work. He’s a good athlete, that’s about all we have seen.
Except he’s not competing against the other QBs in the ACC. He’s competing against their defenses.

He’s got one big thing going for him this year to help with his development. Beck.

We have outstanding coordinators on both sides of the ball, an experienced dual threat QB, one of the best RBs in the country, a very solid back 8 on defense, and a reasonably talented and experienced OL(which is about as good as it gets for us at that position).

If we get decent DL and WR play and our best guys stay healthy, I don’t see how we don’t have a great chance to be above .500?

We were 5-7 last year, lost a number of close games, and on paper we got better.
I agree with your sentiment but it also saddens me a little that after agreeing with your first paragraph, you would think we would be saying "8 wins minimum" but getting to 500 is what we expect. Crazy world.

He’s got one big thing going for him this year to help with his development. Beck.

If we can get him to the Tebow level of competent throwing that's like 50% better than what we had. Still wayyy behind the Jurkevic arm strength and decision making but baby steps.

QB is the biggest wildcard I can remember since Kevin Mason took over for Graves. We don't know what we have at all. Could be unbelievable could be a disaster. It'll dictate our season

Ive seen worse throwers play efficiently in the pass game. Ive seen enough from GS that makes me believe he can be an adequate thrower of the ball. At least Dungey level. Or Cunningham at Louisville.

Last edited:
Still wayyy behind the Jurkevic arm strength and decision making but baby steps.
Im not referencing Jurk to model QB play. He has work to do before I can honor him with that. He had veteran NFL lineman in front of him. A dynamic wr in Flowers. I know he got hurt last year but they are still a 6 win team with him. I would mention Hartman, Leary and Van Dyke before him.

Last edited:
Here we go again...lather, rinse,repeat. Time will prove you wrong.

Shrader threw a more than serviceable ball in all games until the shot he took at VaTech. Then he got hurt. Then he threw like he shouldn't be in the ACC against Louisville. And then the numbers started to pick up again. Shrader will be excellent for us this year

QUARTERBACK
Yeah, had that thought as I was posting... I join with the rest of the orange faithful in hoping the new OC/QB gets our QB and WR rooms a lot more efficient.

Im not referencing Jurk to model QB play. He has work to do before I can honor him with that. He had veteran NFL lineman in front of him. A dynamic wr in Flowers. I know he got hurt last year but they are still a 6 win team with him. I would mention Hartman, Leary and Van Dyke before him.
But Hafley and Jurk are rolling to a steady .500 year over year... jk.

I think they can be good this year, but a lot of jerking over jurk

Based on performance to date, labeling Schrader as a duel threat quarterback is optimistic.

If we can get him to the Tebow level of competent throwing that's like 50% better than what we had. Still wayyy behind the Jurkevic arm strength and decision making but baby steps.

QB is the biggest wildcard I can remember since Kevin Mason took over for Graves. We don't know what we have at all. Could be unbelievable could be a disaster. It'll dictate our season
Man….we had a lot of QB’s worse than both Mason and Shrader between 1999-2021.

Unless you “knew what we had” and knew that it was very, very bad going into a lot of those seasons, and some of those guys weren’t even “wild card” status? Lol.

And actually might have a playbook. You could see during the games last year guys weren’t open BC they weren’t doing anything BC of Gilbert’s “plan”. Gilbert set them all up to fail and he played his butt off to win them a few guys. I expect big improvements through and through on O

If he can get to average starting ACC QB this year and above average in '23...we all should be quite happy.

Kinda like Rick Cassata playing with Floyd and Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom