Phil Steele Preview | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

Dino's decision to attempt a 48-yard field goal on 4th and 1 down 17-14 with a minute left against Clemson is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a football game. When we have Garrett and Tucker in the backfield who can get us a yard.

I wouldn’t have kicked that even if our kicker was Justin Tucker. Best case scenario you give Clemson the ball with a chance to win the game with a field goal.

I was watching on my phone at a wedding freaking out about this before the kick was even attempted while everyone at my table was looking at me like I was a nutjob.
One of the worst calls I have seen at SU since Shafer didn’t go for the 2 pts and the win at UVA in 2015

The idea that we overschedule is mostly a myth and an excuse for how bad we've been.

Since GRob's first year we have played a legitimately hard schedule exactly three times, 14th in 2006, 8th in 2016, 8th in 2017. Other than that, our schedule difficulty is very manageable.

This year specifically is difficult.

Dino's decision to attempt a 48-yard field goal on 4th and 1 down 17-14 with a minute left against Clemson is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a football game.
Defenses prepare to stop 4th and 1’s and offenses work on those situations as well. It’s not a sure thing either way. Anything can happen. What if they got stopped and was denied a opportunity to tie the game? Would that have been the worse decision?

Defenses prepare to stop 4th and 1’s and offenses work on those situations as well. It’s not a sure thing either way. Anything can happen. What if they got stopped and was denied a opportunity to tie the game? Would that have been the worse decision?
Nothing in life is a sure thing. I'm simply looking at it from a cost-benefit perspective.

In that scenario, I think the chances of gaining one yard are higher than Andre (who was not close to being the same kicker as when he won the Lou Groza) making a 48-yard field goal.

But, water under the bridge obviously.

yes because it didn't work and that is what fans do. It's far from one of the worst decisions. They went for the field goal and missed. That's the game

Nothing in life is a sure thing. I'm simply looking at it from a cost-benefit perspective.

In that scenario, I think the chances of gaining one yard are higher than Andre (who was not close to being the same kicker as when he won the Lou Groza) making a 48-yard field goal.

But, water under the bridge obviously.
No I feel the same but I also would have had the same feeling if they got stopped on 4th. It’s easy for all of us to say “they should have” but we are not making the decision based on the same information the staff has.

yes because it didn't work and that is what fans do. It's far from one of the worst decisions. They went for the field goal and missed. That's the game
lol I’ve seen some of the best coaches make worse decisions. Since we are a losing program in need of quality wins people tend to make every decision that goes wrong bigger than it is.

I was just watching a replay of NC St vs UNC last season. There was bad decisions in that game by UNC. Up 9 with 2 mins left and lost.

Dino's decision to attempt a 48-yard field goal on 4th and 1 down 17-14 with a minute left against Clemson is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a football game. When we have Garrett and Tucker in the backfield who can get us a yard.

I wouldn’t have kicked that even if our kicker was Justin Tucker. Best case scenario you give Clemson the ball with a chance to win the game with a field goal.

I was watching on my phone at a wedding freaking out about this before the kick was even attempted while everyone at my table was looking at me like I was a nutjob.
If we make the FG and win the game in OT is this something we even talk about? If we go for it and don't get the yard, do we destroy coach for not kicking the FG? Did we factor in the NFL level DL and the awful Clemson O?

If a credible case can be made in both directions, I can't tell how buoyed by hindsight an argument is or isn't.

I think we can criticize a bunch of stuff in a close loss no matter what and it get's glossed over in a win.

I'd also love to see the wedding tables response had the kick been good

lol I’ve seen some of the best coaches make worse decisions. Since we are a losing program in need of quality wins people tend to make every decision that goes wrong bigger than it is.

I was just watching a replay of NC St vs UNC last season. There was bad decisions in that game by UNC. Up 9 with 2 mins left and lost.

Lol. I was watching that game on ACCN too.

The Louisville game they need to come out the 1st series with Tucker, Rhino and Mang and the 2nd TE and just bash Louisville in the mouth on the way to a TD.
They need to make the defense not want to be there.
The defense needs to make Cunningham run for his life. Every time a receiver cathes the ball hit them hard.
No. All we NEED to do is score at least one more point than them and stay healthy for the next game.

SU definitely had a good off-season but honestly stuff like this happens to a lot of D1 program in the off-season. Programs improving the assistant coaches and QB situation in the off-season aren't exactly rare moves. I like Anae and Beck but were not talking about a 30 year old Steve Spurrier and Norm Chow coming on board here. If your not going to move on from a HC with 1 winning season in 7 years because of Anae and Beck then we should stop the charade that this is a P5 D1 program.
I think we saw - based on the decision by ADJW - that Syracuse is not most programs. It was a bold move. Personally, I’m all in on hoping it works out.

I seem to remember having read that Coach Beck was in charge of the clock management for the staff at UVA. An improvement in that area alone could be the difference between 5 and 7 wins with this schedule.
We can only hope he manages the clock here. Can’t tell you how many end of half’s and games I wanted to go out to the driveway and slam my shmeckle in the car door.

We can only hope he manages the clock here. Can’t tell you how many end of half’s and games I wanted to go out to the driveway and slam my shmeckle in the car door.
yeah I think Dino over analyzes the clock. Sometimes simplicity is the best approach.

yeah I think Dino over analyzes the clock. Sometimes simplicity is the best approach.
Jason Beck is said to be really good at crunch time. If anyone watched the last couple of minutes of the UL-UVa game from last year I posted a week or two ago, you could see him in action.

I think he is going to take over things the last 5 minutes of close games. Might be the difference between us going bowling and sitting home 5-7 again.

This is something Coach Anae has been doing with Coach Beck for years.

If we're sitting at 1-3 going into Wagner, are we all going to be very optimistic about year 2 of "Dino with better coordinators era"? Dino has been a very very bad game manager. Arguably the worst at Syracuse in my Pasqualoni onward career of caring. HE's also probably the best person we ever hired "quality person" wise and it shows with the commitment players give him. I'm hoping he becomes merely commpetent with the game management this year. It could sway 1-2 games

To me the start is sooo key. We are a program with minimal depth so come November it's attrition time. we finish with Pitt, FSU, Wake and BC. All teams that are within our competitive zone. I hope we are nearing bowl contention going into that four game series or else the jackals will be out for Dino's job whether people are optimstic or not.

To me the record argument to bring him back at 5 wins seems odd. He couldn't get more then 5 wins against a much easier schedule last year so if he can match that underwhelming record again lets try it another year?
It boils down to better coaches on the staff now. Give them a chance to do something vs starting over.

If we're sitting at 1-3 going into Wagner, are we all going to be very optimistic about year 2 of "Dino with better coordinators era"?
Well of course people won’t be as optimistic after a 1-3 start but that is still early and things can turn around as the staff builds continuity with the players.

SU definitely had a good off-season but honestly stuff like this happens to a lot of D1 program in the off-season. Programs improving the assistant coaches and QB situation in the off-season aren't exactly rare moves. I like Anae and Beck but were not talking about a 30 year old Steve Spurrier and Norm Chow coming on board here. If your not going to move on from a HC with 1 winning season in 7 years because of Anae and Beck then we should stop the charade that this is a P5 D1 program.
I am not advocating either way for Dino staying or not, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of Anae and Beck because "they aren't 30 year old Spurrier/Chow" , both are pretty damn good, especially Beck.

I am not advocating either way for Dino staying or not, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of Anae and Beck because "they aren't 30 year old Spurrier/Chow" , both are pretty damn good, especially Beck.
Right. You are not against or for. Just want to see positive results. I don’t get why it’s important people to curb others enthusiasm about Dino. If someone is more optimistic than them then so be it.

Last edited:
If we're sitting at 1-3 going into Wagner, are we all going to be very optimistic about year 2 of "Dino with better coordinators era"? Dino has been a very very bad game manager. Arguably the worst at Syracuse in my Pasqualoni onward career of caring. HE's also probably the best person we ever hired "quality person" wise and it shows with the commitment players give him. I'm hoping he becomes merely commpetent with the game management this year. It could sway 1-2 games

To me the start is sooo key. We are a program with minimal depth so come November it's attrition time. we finish with Pitt, FSU, Wake and BC. All teams that are within our competitive zone. I hope we are nearing bowl contention going into that four game series or else the jackals will be out for Dino's job whether people are optimstic or not.
He is not going to be managing the games anymore, Anae and Beck have been managing the games since they were back at BYU. I'm sure that's why they were brought in to take over managing the games.

Very, very bad = strikes me as anecdotal? "Like that one time" vs statistical breakdown

He is not going to be managing the games anymore, Anae and Beck have been managing the games since they were back at BYU. I'm sure that's why they were brought in to take over managing the games.

We know this as fact?

Dino should simply recruit, fundraise, and focus on administrative functions. Let the OC and DC game plan, and make in game decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom