Phil Steele Preview | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

If we make the FG and win the game in OT is this something we even talk about? If we go for it and don't get the yard, do we destroy coach for not kicking the FG? Did we factor in the NFL level DL and the awful Clemson O?

If a credible case can be made in both directions, I can't tell how buoyed by hindsight an argument is or isn't.

I think we can criticize a bunch of stuff in a close loss no matter what and it get's glossed over in a win.

I'd also love to see the wedding tables response had the kick been good
Its not just the decision to kick the field goal in this game. Its his history of making poor decisions and of poor clock management and use of time outs. Throw in the sideline confusion and lack of game organizational skills and its obvious that Dino isnt very good at these things. Patterns are indicators of strengths and weaknesses. Dino has a long record of failures when it comes to his in game decisions.

Its not just the decision to kick the field goal in this game. Its his history of making poor decisions and of poor clock management and use of time outs. Throw in the sideline confusion and lack of game organizational skills and its obvious that Dino isnt very good at these things. Patterns are indicators of strengths and weaknesses. Dino has a long record of failures when it comes to his in game decisions.
I dont think anyone would argue that its one of Dino's weaknesses but its ok to judge every situation logically and without emotions. Every decision he makes is not bad. He's won some tight games too. I can think of BC VT Pitt Clemson UNC and Nc st in some of the early years of his tenure.

We know this as fact?
yeah...I did read an article somewhere stating that Anae/Beck have in the past, managed end of half/game/4th down situations. When we look at Gilbert's play calling and Dino's clock management, CUSE is fortunate to have these two. I'm of the belief the MAIN thing holding back our offense this year is how quickly the players can pick up the new "system" and secondly 2 WRs stepping up.

I dont think anyone would argue that its one of Dino's weaknesses but its ok to judge every situation logically and without emotions. Every decision he makes is not bad. He's won some tight games too. I can think of BC VT Pitt Clemson UNC and Nc st in some of the early years of his tenure.
Liberty last year. Ran the clock down to perfection and kicked a field goal to win with time expiring. No credit though, must have been someone else running the show just that one time.

Liberty last year. Ran the clock down to perfection and kicked a field goal to win with time expiring. No credit though, must have been someone else running the show just that one time.
He did but one situation doesn't change his overall body of work. I dont believe there are many who would say that this is Dinos strong suit.
He comes across as a good leader who truly has the kids best interest at heart. If he stays focused on the overall direction and culture of the program and leaves the X&Os to his coaches SU will win more games.

He did but one situation doesn't change his overall body of work. I dont believe there are many who would say that this is Dinos strong suit.
He comes across as a good leader who truly has the kids best interest at heart. If he stays focused on the overall direction and culture of the program and leaves the X&Os to his coaches SU will win more games.
No one said he’s 0% successful in this spot. I just think if you are Syracuse you need to be great at the thinking things because our depth and talent will never out talent or depth our peers in the ACC

It’s the inefficiency we can capitalize on. We have operated like a team w oodles of talent and zero brains. Need to be better

Anyone who watches the program w any sense of perspective would agree

Dino's decision to attempt a 48-yard field goal on 4th and 1 down 17-14 with a minute left against Clemson is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a football game. When we have Garrett and Tucker in the backfield who can get us a yard.

I wouldn’t have kicked that even if our kicker was Justin Tucker. Best case scenario you give Clemson the ball with a chance to win the game with a field goal.

I was watching on my phone at a wedding freaking out about this before the kick was even attempted while everyone at my table was looking at me like I was a
Defenses prepare to stop 4th and 1’s and offenses work on those situations as well. It’s not a sure thing either way. Anything can happen. What if they got stopped and was denied a opportunity to tie the game? Would that have been the worse decision?

We are SU and they are Clemson. Play to win the game. Play like you have nothing to lose, which we don’t. Dino consistently coaches tight in those situations the last few years. It was his ability to coach loose and unpredictable that had me excited when we hired him and his first few years here. The mojo is gone, I hope he gets it back.

I essentially agree but as the CEO he obviously will keep the veto decision on certain game defining decisions.

Whether that will work or not is debatable.

We are SU and they are Clemson. Play to win the game. Play like you have nothing to lose, which we don’t. Dino consistently coaches tight in those situations the last few years. It was his ability to coach loose and unpredictable that had me excited when we hired him and his first few years here. The mojo is gone, I hope he gets it back.
I’m not saying it was a good or bad decision but getting stopped on 4th and 1 would have gave me the same feeling. Losing like that doesn’t make me feel better about a loss. I’ve personally lost games and won games being aggressive like that. I’ve also won games being conservative. Each team is different. Each situation is different. There’s a lot of factors that determine these decisions.

I essentially agree but as the CEO he obviously will keep the veto decision on certain game defining decisions.

Whether that will work or not is debatable.
I dont know how people are determining when Dino is involved. Is it only when things go wrong? After each loss?

. If he stays focused on the overall direction and culture of the program and leaves the X&Os to his coaches SU will win more games.
How do you know if Dino's lack of influence with the offense isn't the issue?

no - this speaks to my point. 50/50 calls or “called a timeout, when I wouldn’t have” or any of that stuff takes on outsized importance in a loss, primarily in the perception of it on a message board.

that a narrative has grown out of that isn’t surprising. I too wouldn’t say it’s a strong suit, but theres a strong whiff of “overreaction to memorable bad thing” vs reality

CEO doesn’t mean detached from decisions or game planning or any of that. And he’s been operating that way, as does every HC in the P5. He’s not drawing up plays on napkins

I’m not saying it was a good or bad decision but getting stopped on 4th and 1 would have gave me the same feeling. Losing like that doesn’t make me feel better about a loss. I’ve personally lost games and won games being aggressive like that. I’ve also won games being conservative. Each team is different. Each situation is different. There’s a lot of factors that determine these decisions.

In real time I didn’t like the decision before the disastrous result. In my mind we have a much better chance of converting 4 and 1 then making that FG last year. Even if we hit the FG we left to much time on the clock to lose in regulation.

A lose is a lose no matter how it comes about but I feel like we didn’t maximize our chances to win. For that reason that particular lose, as well as several others, stings a bit more for me.

I really only hate it when Dino decides to kick an onside kick when he has 2 timeouts to work with. I think those decisions are insane and exasperating

I dont know how people are determining when Dino is involved. Is it only when things go wrong? After each loss?
Dino is the CEO so the results are his responsibility. No one here knows the decision matrix they use but there has been some notable missteps. He fairly or unfairly gets the blame when players or other coaches don't execute.

We all expect improvement this year on offensive execution...but you know all plans are good until first contact with the enemy.

My belief is Coach Barbers has gotten more conservative the longer he is here. I have no data to prove it; but it seems like he went for the 1st down, on fourth down, more then he has recently. I like the aggressive style. Doesn’t mean he is wrong, just what I like to see.

In real time I didn’t like the decision before the disastrous result. In my mind we have a much better chance of converting 4 and 1 then making that FG last year. Even if we hit the FG we left to much time on the clock to lose in regulation.

A lose is a lose no matter how it comes about but I feel like we didn’t maximize our chances to win. For that reason that particular lose, as well as several others, stings a bit more for me.
yeah I feel like when you are playing a team with clearly better talent you go for the potential win. I think we all knew he was going to miss the FG, Andre has not been a great kicker since 2018 and we were having special teams issues from the get go last year. Having Anae and Beck managing the clock and advising Dino on late game decision making will be a great thing. Dino's strength is getting his kids to buy in and play their asses off for him, he has their respect (2019 being the only year I saw that blow up). I like the CEO approach with him, and he now has by far his best staff, especially OC/QB. I don't think people realize truly how horrible Gilbert was, Dino took some hits for him in terms of getting plays in on time, which made Dino's clock management look that much worse. If the D-Line can hold its own and we can establish some downfield passing, this is a bowl team, even with the brutal schedule

My belief is Coach Barbers has gotten more conservative the longer he is here. I have no data to prove it; but it seems like he went for the 1st down, on fourth down, more then he has recently. I like the aggressive style. Doesn’t mean he is wrong, just what I like to see.
yeah, 2019 is when he started to change, I think he got some of his fire back last year and gambled a bit more, but I think now that he isn't playing with house money like he was early in his tenure and his job was safe, he got tighter.

So true. The good ones seem to get it right more than not.

Under Gilbert. It was the first time I didn't know what the offense was doing. I wasn't making sense. All the other years I saw what they were trying to do. They just couldn't consistently do it for various reasons.
Yes, the biggest lessons I learned from the Sterlin Gilbert era at Syracuse were

1) Gilbert was awful at game planning and play calling and

2) USF fans were a lot smarter than I thought they were

It looks like Sterlin will not be coaching in 2022. He might never coach again. But if he ever does get hired again as an OC, I bet you some crazed USF fans will find their way to the main message board of whoever was foolish enough to hire him, and warn their fans of impending doom.

Those fans will never forgive Sterlin for what he did to the Bulls.