Phil Steele Preview | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

That this is a discussion proves the original point: it was a 50/50 decision that people roasted him for when it could have gone either way

His first 2 games, he threw for 200 yards. Then he took a cheap shot and played hurt in the last 5 games or so. If DeVito had hung around until the end of the season, we might have picked up an extra win or two and actually played in a bowl.
Hell, if Taj stayed, we probably go bowling.

Virginia Tech? It was a big hit, but not a cheap shot.

Yep but what still pisses me off about that play is the absolute ole by Davis which led to the huge hit and six week season effecting (negatively) lingering rib injury (as someone whose had the exact same injury and now treats them routinely this is said with certainty).

Anyway, this happened several other times as well last year, dude better step up his game this year or the qbs will be toast as will the hopes of a successful season.

Last edited:
His first 2 games, he threw for 200 yards. Then he took a cheap shot and played hurt in the last 5 games or so. If DeVito had hung around until the end of the season, we might have picked up an extra win or two and actually played in a bowl.
None of that is true

DateOpponentSurfaceResultAttCompPct.YardsYards/AttTDIntRating
09/04/21@ OhioTurfW 29-911100.088.000167.20
09/11/21RutgersTurfL 7-176466.7427.000125.47
09/18/21Albany (N.Y.)TurfW 62-24151173.319012.711188.40
09/24/21LibertyTurfW 24-2115640.0775.10083.12
10/02/21@ Florida St.GrassL 30-33231356.51506.511116.95
10/09/2115 Wake ForestTurfL 37-40271555.61605.920129.78
10/15/2114 ClemsonTurfL 14-17371745.91915.21192.82
10/23/21@ Virginia TechGrassW 41-36341647.12366.920124.77
10/30/21Boston CollegeTurfW 21-614535.7654.60074.71
11/13/21@ LouisvilleTurfL 3-41181055.6462.60077.03
11/20/21@ 20 North Carolina St.GrassL 17-4120840.0633.20156.46
11/27/2113 PittsburghTurfL 14-31241770.82179.020174.28
Totals23412352.614456.294113.70

Shrader was getting better and it culminated with the VT win. After that he was banged up and half the player. Would be nice to keep him healthy all year.
The fact that he gutted it out was impressive in and of itself. These rib injuries are so common in the position as was demonstrated here and before that with tommy. Tommy gutted it out too but was completely ineffective with the injury understandably turtling up quite often.

Garret was also negatively effected just maybe not to the same degree. Regardless the end effect was basically the same.

That this is a discussion proves the original point: it was a 50/50 decision that people roasted him for when it could have gone either way
Think that if Tucker got stuffed on 4th and 1, most would have accepted it was better option than long FG attempt with struggling kicker. That being said, expecting big bounce back year for Andre with the special teams coach.

We have outstanding coordinators on both sides of the ball, an experienced dual threat QB, one of the best RBs in the country, a very solid back 8 on defense, and a reasonably talented and experienced OL(which is about as good as it gets for us at that position).

If we get decent DL and WR play and our best guys stay healthy, I don’t see how we don’t have a great chance to be above .500?

We were 5-7 last year, lost a number of close games, and on paper we got better.

I wouldn’t consider our QB a dual threat yet. Hopefully he proves he can throw this season.

Nah people would have been complaining about the play selection. Lol
If the called play works.nomcomplaints. everyone agrees it was the right thing to do. If the play fails, everyone second guesses the play calling.

In this instance, the choice was six to one, a half dozen to the other. What could have been will remain in speculation. However, the team could have executed better the remaining 59+ minutes and made the play in question just another play with no significance. To make the entire game dependent on one play and beat up the most cker and the coach is to ignore the work that made the play worth speculating in the first place.

If the called play works.nomcomplaints. everyone agrees it was the right thing to do. If the play fails, everyone second guesses the play calling.

In this instance, the choice was six to one, a half dozen to the other. What could have been will remain in speculation. However, the team could have executed better the remaining 59+ minutes and made the play in question just another play with no significance. To make the entire game dependent on one play and beat up the most cker and the coach is to ignore the work that made the play worth speculating in the first place.
Agree

Nah people would have been complaining about the play selection. Lol
No because there's no way he doesn" t get 1 yard. Shrader would have pushed him forward for the yard.

Absolutely of course, there’s always going to be things that we don’t know about that impact decisions, that’s why I wasn’t as upset as others when Dino made that call. But based off of what we did know, like Andre struggling in games up to that point, and Sean Tucker doing Sean Tucker things that night, I would’ve just taken my chances giving it to 34 to snag a yard and move the chains.
It was a losers call. We are major underdogs. You go for it. Even if we make it there was enough time for them to win.

Hopefully the passing game takes a big step forward this year. Quality QB play is the most important factor in winning football games. Hopefully Shrader has been able to shorten that throwing motion and can get more power with his throws. O-line should be better, prolly still not great talent wise compared to the conference but it's a solid unit now. Having a good passing game + Tucker will be enough to keep ACC defensive coordinators up late.

I'm expecting the defense to take a step back statistically given the unproven D-line + quality of QBs they'll face, but I think they still make some plays and help keep us in games.

No because there's no way he doesn" t get 1 yard. Shrader would have pushed him forward for the yard.
Maybe. Unless I counted wrong, 4 of his 10 carries in the second half were for no gain or a loss. Only one carry in the first half failed to gain positive yardage. Only 29 of his 157 yards came in the second half. Clemson made adjustments to slow him down, and, had we gone for it they knew it was going to him. I probably still had more confidence in him picking up a yard than us making a 48 yard fg though.

Magazines started mailing out the other day for pre-orders. Should be in the usual places late. next week

Shrader was getting better and it culminated with the VT win. After that he was banged up and half the player. Would be nice to keep him healthy all year.

Agreed but he’s Dungey like where his ability to play a full season the way he plays like a fullback is unlikely at best

You have to assume he doesn’t play the entire season. To me the backup qb has to be ready to go and be successful

If I’m negative about it so be it but I think that middle of season gauntlet will be hard for a running qb running into thumping defenses

Agreed but he’s Dungey like where his ability to play a full season the way he plays like a fullback is unlikely at best

You have to assume he doesn’t play the entire season. To me the backup qb has to be ready to go and be successful

If I’m negative about it so be it but I think that middle of season gauntlet will be hard for a running qb running into thumping defenses
I dont disagree with you I just think Dungey was more reckless when he ran. Shrader will slide and avoid contact when needed.

To see those close losses to FsU wake and Clemson kills. Those were wins and seemed like something goofy happened and bad decisions cost them all 3 of those games. Crazy to see on paper just how close that was to a really good season

I agree, but would still rather take my chances with my 2 best players to make a play to win.
Thats cool, Im not saying I wouldnt either. Im just saying that coaches have gone that route and ended with bad results as well. Its high risk high reward. Your players might not be better than the opponents best players. It comes to that single play, that single battle. Ive seen games won with aggressive decisions and Ive seen games won with conservative decisions as well. It comes down to which negative outcome you can live with. Each coach is different.

Last edited:
Thats cool, Im not saying I wouldnt either. Im just saying that coaches have gone that route and ended with bad results as well. Its high risk high reward. Your players might not be better than the opponents best players. It comes to that single play, that single battle. Ive seen games won with aggressive decisions and Ive seen games won conservative decisions as well. It comes down to which negative outcome you can live with. Each coach is different.
I might not be like most fans, I'll be 76 on July 14, but I never mind having my team go for the win, even if it fails.
The object of the game is to win, and you have to respect any coach for making that decision. We all remember Pat Dye.

I might not be like most fans, I'll be 76 on July 14, but I never mind having my team go for the win, even if it fails.
The object of the game is to win, and you have to respect any coach for making that decision. We all remember Pat Dye.
This was different than Pat Dye. A tie puts us in overtime with a chance to win. Even though I leaned toward going for it, I didn't see that as going for the win. I saw it as trying to get into better position for a field goal. Had we been around the 10 yard line I would have seen it as going for the win. As it was, if we get the first down, we still have to go ~30 yards in about 45 seconds for a touchdown. Given how much more trouble we had on offense in the second half, I didn't think that was likely to happen. I think we needed to get closer to have a decent chance at making the fg, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom