Pick your Impact Recruit of 2019 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pick your Impact Recruit of 2019

Solid take, down the line.

But - I'll beg to differ about PT at WR -
in theory, Taj wouldn't have gotten much run this year, behind our "bell cow" WR Butler.
But the Butler did NOT do it, so Taj made the most of it, and usurped that role as the season wore on.

And at RB, Jawhar might just be explosive enough to earn some PT, in spite of us having Moe, Adams, and Jarveon ahead of him.

In a perfect world, our returning crop of LB's is good enough to hold off Jones & Kpogba, but we don't live in a perfect world, so I'd imagine at least one of them makes the 2-deep, if not both.
Army & Shy your likely starters, but the other 3-4 slots in the LB rotation are WIDE open.

IF Benson can make the blocks needed, he could be a very valuable weapon at TE.

Can Cole crack the secondary 2-deep, next to Cisco?
There's a lot of returning talent there.

I agree 100% that the DL is pretty established, so it's unlikely any of these guys contributes there early.
(Dawson is still coming off ACL, so I'd imagine its very unlikely he plays at all.)
But down the line, several could be impact players.
I think anyone who saw Butler play his frosh and soph seasons had questions about him. Bad things happen when the ball is thrown his way. A lot. From day one. I see Riley and N Johnson taking most of the PT in the slot, and Trish Jackson and Taj Harris taking most of the PT outside.

Courtney played in a system with an offense similar to ours, and I think the competition was high, but he isn't beating out Sean or Nikeim for a starting position. He will be hard pressed to beat out some more experienced talented players for slot position number 3. Maybe he can do it but I don't see him making a significant impact, barring an injury or two...

I think highly of the incoming LBs but again, if the past means anything, DC Ward is going to favor experience over talent. That is how he rolls.

For quickest impact, I'll go with Mikel Jones, based on early enrollment, coming from IMG, and apparently being pretty smart.

Read this closely:

signing day video commentary - per Coach Ward ..." He'll play either inside LB spot for us and what attracted me to him is his football intelligence, he has an incredibly high IQ, he's a leader, he encompasses all the qualities we're looking for in a LB in our system, we expect Mikel to have an impact early."
Am I reading something wrong, or did Ward say he’ll play either inside spot? Is this a formation change?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom