Pickett - fake slide | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pickett - fake slide

Narduzzi is a clown.

"To me, I coach our defensive guys to finish the play," Narduzzi said. "If [the quarterback] goes down, a lot of times we slide over the top of them. It's just being a football player. You have to finish the play. There's a thing called a whistle, and when the whistle blows, you stop. Until then, you have to gather up, and if the quarterback slides too late. ... We have seen guys slide too late and the quarterback gets scraped up and tattooed a little bit. It's part of the game."

But in all seriousness I believe faking to go out of bounds should fall into the same category. The FSU thing was bush league to and also involved a quarterback.

Absolutely agree 100%. As far as I’m concerned anyone headed to the sidelines and who then decides to tiptoe down the sidelines for another five yards after reaching the hash marks on the sidelines should be penalized.

If offensive players continue to exploit the defender who pulls up for the sake of the offensive player’s safety, eventually someone is going to be seriously injured.

Unsportsmanlike conduct.

Yeaaa but pretending to run left, and running right is a little different than pretending to make a move that ends the play. Are fake fair catches cool?
I know, why don't they just play flag football. Then no matter what or how much you juke all they got to do is grab and throw down the flag!

Narduzzi is a clown.

"To me, I coach our defensive guys to finish the play," Narduzzi said. "If [the quarterback] goes down, a lot of times we slide over the top of them. It's just being a football player. You have to finish the play. There's a thing called a whistle, and when the whistle blows, you stop. Until then, you have to gather up, and if the quarterback slides too late. ... We have seen guys slide too late and the quarterback gets scraped up and tattooed a little bit. It's part of the game."
You had me at narduzzi is a clown

Narduzzi is a clown.

What a horrible quote from a first class douchenozzle

Defenders are already on pins and needles enough as it is. The idea that they’re supposed to somehow read the QBs mind that he’s about to fake the slide makes zero sense.

It’s very similar to when punt returners sometimes do that thing where they pretend to make a fair catch and then start running.
Around these parts I believe that is called the Terrell Buckley.

Around these parts I believe that is called the Terrell Buckley.
Yeah like in that situation, what is the gunner possibly supposed to do? They're running full speed at the punt returner who is standing there not moving. So they have to ask themselves in a split second "I know I didn't hear a whistle, but if I missed the whistle I can't risk lighting this guy up and being branded a dirty player forever, so I have to lay off." And boom, FSU takes advantage of that good sportsmanship. The play should immediately be whistled dead if a punt returner doesn't run the second he gets the ball.

Doing this should result in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Pickett and the second time he should be ejected.
Doing that should result in him receiving a vicious hit by the defense, the next time he slides. He asked for it. I'd coach my D to give it to him.

Most QBs know they're vulnerable and don't take advantage of the rules that are there to protect them. Pickett must have forgotten that. He might end up suffering some pain when some team reminds him.

It was genius! If Shrader or Dungey did it, we'd be calling it just that.
It was, but that doesn’t mean the rule shouldn’t be implemented. I am unsure if there is a blanket unsportsmanlike rule to cover this stuff.

It’s only a bit different from the NFL playoff game where the coach took the successive penalties to run down the clock.

Make the refs make a call, kudos to him for knowing the refs wouldn’t do anything.

Make the refs make a call, kudos to him for knowing the refs wouldn’t do anything.
Yea kudos to him, as long as in the bowl game when he does actually slide somebody drills him.

It's a garbage play and everybody knows it, no excusing it
Everyone except for the commentators, they talked about it like he was some type of football genius or something. Like it was the coolest thing ever.

BS quote about finishing lol. Im sure he doesnt want his defenders coming close to drawing a penalty. Whether its a late hit on the sideline or whatever. Duzzi would go nuts if a player came close to hitting his QB during a slide and he would definitely go nuts if he was on the other side of this play.

Like I said, make the refs make the call. If he gets hit next time, so be it.
If he gets hit it would be a penalty on the defense and it will hurt the team. Defensive coaches teach their players to ease up when a player slides to prevent penalties. There's actual drills for that. Refs just missed the call. We dont need to start a trend of faking slides and hitting QB's late. Not good for the game.

Last edited:
I don't get all of the 'outrage'. Isn't it up to the refs to blow the play dead? It was clear that the defensive players let up but if the refs blow the whistle, the play is over. IMO, it was a blown call. Not that we haven't seen any of those before.

I don't think he knew that the refs wouldn't do anything. IMO, it was a bang-bang play that Pickett just did.

I don't get all of the 'outrage'. Isn't it up to the refs to blow the play dead? It was clear that the defensive players let up but if the refs blow the whistle, the play is over. IMO, it was a blown call. Not that we haven't seen any of those before.

I don't think he knew that the refs wouldn't do anything. IMO, it was a bang-bang play that Pickett just did.
Play to the whistle. And it’s not like defenders HAVE to blow the QB up every play, if the QB looks like they’re going to slide, you as a defender are allowed to stand your ground you just can’t don’t drop your helmet, and lunge at him. All of this nonsense about how this going to cause QBs to get lit up in the future is just a way to conveniently forget that the hits that get flags thrown with a sliding QBs are 1) clearly late and 2) helmet to helmet contact, both things that can be avoided while still watching a QB who might fake a slide.

Loved the play. very smart.

Loved the play. very smart.
Of course it was smart. Like I said , its cool if he is Ok with getting drilled the next time he slides, but it wont matter , this play will lead to a clarified rule on the play. Next QB that does it will be get 15 yards and an unsportsmanlike. Bank on it. ( next season not this bowl season )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom