Pickett - fake slide | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pickett - fake slide

If he gets hit it would be a penalty on the defense and it will hurt the team. Defensive coaches teach their players to ease up when a player slides to prevent penalties. There's actual drills for that. Refs just missed the call. We dont need to start a trend of faking slides and hitting QB's late. Not good for the game.
I believe there is often retribution for bad actions. Sometimes coached, sometimes when a player takes it upon themselves. If the defense thinks the slide might be a fake, I believe some will take a chance on getting a penalty.

But he didn't slide. Running backs juke and fake out all the time.
But a juke doesn't cause the defender to pull-up on their pursuit. Both Wake defenders (#6 and #45) who were in a position to make the tackle let-up on the play when Pickett started his slide.
Having said this, after watching the replay, I'm not so sure Pickett didn't just make a split-second decision not to slide. It may have not been an intentional attempt to fake-out the defender. Regardless of whether there was intent, I agree with the suggestion to call the play dead at that point.

I believe there is often retribution for bad actions. Sometimes coached, sometimes when a player takes it upon themselves. If the defense thinks the slide might be a fake, I believe some will take a chance on getting a penalty.
Yes for sure but generally they are taught at an early age to ease up when a QB begin to slide. From little to the pro's its well known to stay off the QB's. Some defenders are knuckleheads and cant decelerate their aggression in time but these guys see QB's slide in practice all the time. Wake's defenders were discipline. They did what they were taught to do.

Around these parts I believe that is called the Terrell Buckley.
Still one of the more impressively dramatic plays I’ve ever seen.

Unbelievable. Put Schiano and him in an iron cage and let them destroy each other. The sport would be better without them.
Nardouchy's quote is spot on - those are Pitt core values. It's exactly who they are.

Last edited:
really the next thing is the fake im running out of bounds thing that any QBs do.

I'm glad they killed this. Someone was going to get hurt if they didn't.

Agree. This was the right move. I know some people loved the fake slide, but you know who didn't love it? Defensive players. If the NCAA didn't end it, some defensive player was going to. And you wouldn't want to have been that QB that someone decided to make an example of.

Agree. This was the right move. I know some people loved the fake slide, but you know who didn't love it? Defensive players. If the NCAA didn't end it, some defensive player was going to. And you wouldn't want to have been that QB that someone decided to make an example of.
Yes listened to the idiot Pitt coach saying you play through the whistle. Then a player gets tossed from the game for unnecessary roughness or targeting.

Watching the Bills-Steelers game today. Pickett started for Pittsburgh. During the game he ran the ball and was hit by a Bill as he was sliding. No call.

It reminded me of his fake slide. Did the NCAA adjust the rules on QB slides?

Watching the Bills-Steelers game today. Pickett started for Pittsburgh. During the game he ran the ball and was hit by a Bill as he was sliding. No call.

Yes

Pickett was pissed at Lawson for drilling him. No flag (ruled a legal hit) until a Steelers o lineman took exception. In the NFL don't run the ball unless you're willing to get your azz handed to you.

Pickett was pissed at Lawson for drilling him. No flag (ruled a legal hit) until a Steelers o lineman took exception. In the NFL don't run the ball unless you're willing to get your azz handed to you.

That was Hamlin his former teammate who hit him. The Lawson hit was at the end of the game when he tackled him scrambling and his leg bent weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom