Pinstripe or Belk? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pinstripe or Belk?

How are the big east bowls selected? Is it by record in the big east or do the bowls select who they want in order?

nc state was in the belk last year (vs lousville).i think the bowls choose who the want in order

How are the big east bowls selected? Is it by record in the big east or do the bowls select who they want in order?
The bowls have their choice. In order it's BCS, Russel Athletic, Belk, Pinstripe. I think there's a 1-loss clause in there somewhere but shouldn't really come into play this year.

The bowls have their choice. In order it's BCS, Russel Athletic, Belk, Pinstripe. I think there's a 1-loss clause in there somewhere but shouldn't really come into play this year.

There are only 4? The 1 loss, is that in big east play of overall? Thanks.

There are 2 more, but the BE won't have the eligible teams to fill them this year. I think it's Birmingham then Beef O'Bradys bowls after the pinstripe.

Belk is in carolina, right? Loads of SU alums down there.

stadium-cp970.jpg

No, there are 6 BE bowls. BCS, Russell, Belk, Pinstripe, BBVA and BeefO. The 1 loss is overall.

Assuming we win on Friday, I imagine we might be the first choice of both Belk and Yankee.

Russell = $2.275. BE #2 v. ACC #3
Belk = $1.7M, BE # 3 v. ACC #5
Pin = $1.8M, BE #4 v. Bevo #7
BBVA = $1M, BE #5 v. SEC #7 or 8
BeefO = $535K, BE #6 v. CUSA #4

That makes it a no brainer. OWN Yankee Stadium. OWN Tri-State. Our people will turn out in far greater numbers in NYC. It's the most fitting way to leave the Big East.

That makes it a no brainer. OWN Yankee Stadium. OWN Tri-State. Our people will turn out in far greater numbers in NYC. It's the most fitting way to leave the Big East.
Remember, the school does not get the bowl money directly. Its pooled into the conference and then distributed. I'm not sure what the BE's current bowl money distribution model is now so I'm not sure if the payout matters to SU. What would matter is which bowl could SU sell the most of it's allotment and for that the Pinstripe would have to be the runaway winner.

Remember, the school does not get the bowl money directly. Its pooled into the conference and then distributed. I'm not sure what the BE's current bowl money distribution model is now so I'm not sure if the payout matters to SU. What would matter is which bowl could SU sell the most of it's allotment and for that the Pinstripe would have to be the runaway winner.

We're just paying down our exit fee. Since Pinstripe pays $100K more than Belk, that's a no brainer, too.

We're just paying down our exit fee. Since Pinstripe pays $100K more than Belk, that's a no brainer, too.

It's not where the team wants to go. Hopefully they get their way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What I said is the bowl payout is immaterial. It goes into a conference pool and then distributed to the schools based upon some model (I think conference finish factors in), not by which bowl pays out the most. But yes, it'll go into whatever buyout balance we have left.

Guys. The Bowls get choice it isn't necessarily by standings. So if the ACC pushes the Russell Athletic to take SU, they will take SU over Louisville, Rutgers, or Cincy despite the fact that we lose conf standing tie breakers. None of those teams travel well. None of those teams have a brand. None of those teams are exciting. None of those teams will be ranked. We beat Temple I think we are in the Russell vs VT or Miami.

Even if we win out and RU/UL lose out, don't see how they don't still go Russel. Worst they can do is 9-3.

One more time...
The Big East splits bowl revenues equally among all members after deducting "participation" allowances, which are based on conference standings. The Big East conference champion, which participates in a BCS bowl, has a $4 million "allowance." Second place has an allowance of $1.8 million, third place $1.65 million, and so on through all their bowl tie-ins.After paying travel expenses and purchasing the tickets and hotel rooms each bowl participant is responsible for, the net bowl profit, if any, is usually modest.

A win next week against Temple. And a loss by L'ville to Rutgirls and we are #2. Still very possible we can get Russell.

As long as the teams are within one conference loss of each other the non BCS bowls can pick anyone they want. Doesn't matter whose 2nd or 3rd.

The players want FL first...then NC then NY...but they would be happy with any of them. All have pros/cons

Guys. The Bowls get choice it isn't necessarily by standings. So if the ACC pushes the Russell Athletic to take SU, they will take SU over Louisville, Rutgers, or Cincy despite the fact that we lose conf standing tie breakers. None of those teams travel well. None of those teams have a brand. None of those teams are exciting. None of those teams will be ranked. We beat Temple I think we are in the Russell vs VT or Miami.

I agree. We may not travel in great numbers to bowls but neither do the other schools.

It's not where the team wants to go. Hopefully they get their way.

I guess I understand that they want a new experience, but if you don't make the BCS bowl or at least a 2nd tier "name" bowl game, then to me, personally, I'd rather see them play in Yankee Stadium every year, just to get SU fans used to traveling to bowls in big numbers. Nothing is worse to me than watching a bowl game in some non-descript bowl in a half-empty stadium the week before Christmas.

I'd vastly prefer Belk Bowl:
-I've already been to the Pinstripe Bowl, never been to Belk Bowl.
-Belk is (slightly) higher up in the pecking order: 3rd vs. 4th.
-Belk is played in an NFL stadium, Pinstripe is played in a baseball stadium.
-Belk gets much larger crowds, on the order of 15,000 more if no-Carolina team in the game, to over 30,000 more if there is a Carolina team.
-NYC alumni got thrown a bone earlier this year with the USC game, so I don't necessarily think it's as important to go back so soon (and this is coming from a former NYC alum). Also, lots of fans traveled to that game and they might enjoy a new locale.
-Apparently Belk would be preferable for the team, and it is (after all) supposed to be a reward for their season.
-I also think it would be nice to start getting our fanbase into the habit of A) traveling to Southern bowl games since that's where most are, and...
-B) traveling to the Carolinas for away games since we're joining a conference with 5 Carolina teams.

also were playing a game at metlife the 1st game next year vs penn state

i think florida could be in play but it would probably need rutgers to win the bcs bid

I really want to go to a bowl game, but no chance of making a game 2 days after Xmas.

NCState in Belk is a real possibility
NC St. played Louisville in the Belk bowl last year. They will not take either team this year. I think SU will get the invite to play in the Belk bowl. There is many Syracuse transplants in Charlotte, NC area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom