Pistol Pete's college scoring record might be broken | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pistol Pete's college scoring record might be broken

Everytime I see someone post about this, the average per game continues to go up. I think I read ~10 more ppg. So ten 3's per game (if true)!
Someone did it - link is in a post above. 13 three pointers on average adding 13 more points or 57 points/game to his 44 per game average.

Someone did it - link is in a post above. 13 three pointers on average adding 13 more points or 57 points/game to his 44 per game average.
you also have to think if the 3 was a thing would he actually have taken more 3s as well.. He didnt care where he shot back then so you would think on some shots he would stay behind the line if there was one.,

you also have to think if the 3 was a thing would he actually have taken more 3s as well.. He didnt care where he shot back then so you would think on some shots he would stay behind the line if there was one.,

You also have to think would the defense go out there and guard him tighter with the shot being worth another point. Being that all field goals were worth 2, there was less incentive for the defender to play him tightly from 20+ feet only to have him blow by.

kids should watch thay just to learn the backboard is their friend.

who does behind the back passes with their left hands anymore.

kids should watch thay just to learn the backboard is their friend.

who does behind the back passes with their left hands anymore.
What’s shocking is how so many college players can’t use their off hand well and some not at all. :(

Pistol Pete also had the fortune of not seeing modern, more complex defensive schemes and playing before widespread integration.

If we are talking asterisks
Do you mean like our vaunted zone? Can you imagine how many points he would score on us?

We had Jason Williams, but they made him dial it down, smh.

That guy was must watch TV on the League Pass his rookie year.
I was a Chris Webber guy, I bought league pass to watch the Kings for years, I was sooooooo mad when they traded him, ended up loving Bibby though. Those Kings teams were the best in the league and champions in my book. They were better than the Lakers and got jobbed by the league/refs.

Do you mean like our vaunted zone? Can you imagine how many points he would score on us?
Prefer Louisville’s man D or Georgetown‘s man D etc? Bad defensive execution is bad defensive execution. In most every game, a man to man team is beating another man to man team too. It’s a roster issue - the youth of this set of players certainly doesn’t help. It’s why JB rarely started freshman. Roster gaps, roster failures have really hurt. No offense but I have to laugh if people think that this current roster would be better in man defense. Maliq is the only player whose defense was even noted in their high school recruiting evaluation. This team needs a very good offense to overcome their less than passable defense to win.

pretty clear they want to buy their way on to another game like in the CBI..

it seems plausible, but unlikely, Durant could have broken the record in 3 years, he still was 200 points behind Maravich after his first season though

pretty clear they want to buy their way on to another game like in the CBI..
Would be horrible and anyone associated with that tournament should be ashamed they aren't close to .500. Detroit Mercy should be ashamed to grovel for a low level tournament win the game today or have him score 4 more points if it matters that much.

I know Pistol Pete was coached by his dad at LSU but Detriot is typically a good Horizon League team that has been awful for the last 5 years because the coach is trying to have his kid set the record. (Obviously we know a little something about what happens to a team in that situation...)

Would be horrible and anyone associated with that tournament should be ashamed they aren't close to .500. Detroit Mercy should be ashamed to grovel for a low level tournament win the game today or have him score 4 more points if it matters that much.

I know Pistol Pete was coached by his dad at LSU but Detriot is typically a good Horizon League team that has been awful for the last 5 years because the coach is trying to have his kid set the record. (Obviously we know a little something about what happens to a team in that situation...)
Disagree, for one it would bring amazing exposure to their tournament. Pistol Pete’s kids said they were rooting for him and said that his dad would’ve been so excited for the kid. College basketball is a dying brand and this is exciting, may not be exciting for most old heads but let the kids create their own marks, the game is so different than it used to be that records are pointless anyway.

Let the kids enjoy their time instead of chasing ghosts all the time.

Disagree, for one it would bring amazing exposure to their tournament. Pistol Pete’s kids said they were rooting for him and said that his dad would’ve been so excited for the kid. College basketball is a dying brand and this is exciting, may not be exciting for most old heads but let the kids create their own marks, the game is so different than it used to be that records are pointless anyway.

I don't think those tournaments have ever taken a team 4 games below .500.

He had a fair shot he could have won more games or scored a few more points. Finishing 3 points short with 2 extra years and playing half the games is fitting. A bogus bid to a low level tournament is not. The fields aren't that big in the other tournaments teams over .500 in 1 bid leagues or programs who haven't sniffed the dance in years are who belongs.

No shame in coming up a few points short he had a good career and is high on the list. No way he should get first through a ridiculous bid to the postseason.

I don't know man, was it great exposure for the HL tourney? Doesn't seem like the league really marketed it all that much. Anybody who looks into the details would probably think it's just incredibly tacky given the circumstances. Might even work against them.

Pistol Pete is one of the most overrated players in college basketball history.

He is still very good and spectacular, but there is context to his stats.

being allowed to take 52% of your teams shots in a high paced system at a low Fg% will still get you record points.

Pistol Pete is one of the most overrated players in college basketball history.

He is still very good and spectacular, but there is context to his stats.

being allowed to take 52% of your teams shots in a high paced system at a low Fg% will still get you record points.
so you think shooting 45% at that volume is bad?

he also scored 44 pts per game on his FR team

looked at a few games

Kent 1968. pete 16-38 42% his team 21-51 41% fts 12-15 his team 10-16..

Maybe he should have shot more.

Look at the top scorers in the NCAA this yr. The top 7 are Guards.

Davis is leading shooting 41% The rest are all around 45% but 1

They all shoot about 10-11 3s a game.

The one kid from Marshall stands out though. shooting 57% and almost no 3s at all

In the 10 yrs before he got there they were 88-135.

The year he first got there they were 3-23 and he played on the FR team

They went 49-35 when he played finished 2nd but had to go to the NIT and go to the SEMIs

The next 2 yrs went 24-28 and then his dad left.

Last edited:
Theres a few recent guys who get this record easily if they played during Covid. Mike Daum, guy from Campbell, Greg McDermott.

Setting records with a 5th full season is completely bush league.

The right mid major player whos too short for the NBA and doesn't transfer up might be able to break the record in 4 years but the teams going to need to press every possession and they'll need to play close to 40 mins while having the ball in their hand most of the game hitting a ton of threes (and pressing on D.) No big has a shot even a three point shooter like McDermott or Daum.

so you think shooting 45% at that volume is bad?

he also scored 44 pts per game on his FR team

looked at a few games

Kent 1968. pete 16-38 42% his team 21-51 41% fts 12-15 his team 10-16..

Maybe he should have shot more.

Look at the top scorers in the NCAA this yr. The top 7 are Guards.

Davis is leading shooting 41% The rest are all around 45% but 1

They all shoot about 10-11 3s a game.

The one kid from Marshall stands out though. shooting 57% and almost no 3s at all

In the 10 yrs before he got there they were 88-135.

The year he first got there they were 3-23 and he played on the FR team

They went 49-35 when he played finished 2nd but had to go to the NIT and go to the SEMIs

The next 2 yrs went 24-28 and then his dad left.

I may have went a little too "hot" in my "hot" take. No doubt he is an all time college great player. I just have a hard time when people call him the greatest college player ever based on his crazy scoring stats.

He made his team better... I am not arguing that. He was a great player. But the team could have probably been even better if he didn't play so selfishly

He was a wizard driving to the basket and in transition, but also took many low efficiency long 2's. May have been acceptable today when a lower % shot is rewarded with 3 points, but not back then. Opposing coaches would happily let him take those shots.

He's a career 44%. That efficiency was not particularly impressive for that era -- not that it was bad either.

As for citing a few games where he shot better than the rest of the team, why don't you look at entire seasons in terms of how he shot compared to the team. That information is readily available and can be easily calculated. The differences are significant

1968 : Pete 42%, Rest of Team 52%
1969: Pete 44%, Rest of Team 52%
1970: Pete 45%, Rest of Team 52%

Of course the rest of the team shooting will benefit from one player taking the majority of the half court shots, such that their shots are weighted to garbage / transition types.

LSU SEC Records:
67: 1-17 (pre-Pete)
68: 8-10
69: 7-11
70: 13-5
71: 10-8 (after Pete)

He made the team better. But if he was the greatest player in college basketball history he should have made his team much better -- and the team should have been much worse after he left.

If you look at the LSU teams they basically replaced that entire 67 team, and only played sophomore in 68. The only reason he ever played on a team over .500 in conference was because LSU brought in a few good sophomores in his last year that helped the team still be pretty good after he left.

The team didn't take a huge fall after he left. It took a fall no doubt, but not a fall worthy of losing the "greatest college player ever".

Last edited:
When you play 60 more games in a sport played at a faster pace, with shot clocks, and 3 pt rules and still cant get it done.

It is what it is.

Accept it.

I have no problem with the kid not getting the record.

While you are right on the other contextual factors, as an aside, you are quite wrong in claiming that college basketball is played at a faster pace today than the Maravich era. The 60's in college and the NBA was played at an absurdly high pace even without a shot clock compared to today -- even with some hold the ball coaches.

Eastern Kentucky leads the entire nation this year in field goal attempts per game at 67. The average team in the country shoots 58.

As a comparison LSU averaged 75 shots per game in the Maravich era -- 30% higher than the current day average.

In 1968, the top 3 ranked teams in the country took 77, 69 and 85 shots per game respectively. These were not the highest shot taking teams, just what the best teams shot. They dwarfed the amounts taken today.

Last edited:
And no 3 pointer. Someone did a study from the Play By Play of Pete's games, using the announcer's estimate of the distance from which Pete shot any particular shot, and determined that Pete would have averaged 15 PPG more. ( I believe that my recollection on the amount is accurate.)

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Pete averaged 16.7 FG per game in his college career ( a remarkably consistent 16.6, 16.7, 16.8)

You know how silly it is to claim that 15 of those 16 FG's would have been 3 point shots.
Complete nonsense.

Last edited: