Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget about Syracuse which I think is a Ferrari in terms of college jobs. Only one guy having it for 50 years doesn't mean no one else can win here.

Focus on Alabama. They are Duke Football or Kentucky Football. Period. Make a Sweet 16 and the fanbase is happy but cares more about the spring game and football recruiting.

I think hes peaking at that job and might want to make a move to a better one ASAP. Hows he going to elevate them to Kentucky level when the fans won't even care if he wins more? At best hes just Tennessee or Florida. Wade and Pearl make that conference kind of tough at the top unless he wins the entire NCAA tournament hes just another LSU or AUburn. They won't fire him if he slips but then his stock will drop and he won't be a guy in the running for every big job.

UB>Bama>Cuse is a good progression. He probably has a personality that won't give a that JB is still looming around. (I think JB will work for ESPN and be a great commentator after he retires FWIW.)
I would think it would just depend on cash and bama has alot more cash to dole out

C'mon guys. no way the board or chancellor signs off on Pitino, waaay to much baggage. It is what it is. JB will have a few more down years, and we give the keys to Gerry or Red. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.
I foresee 15-15 with no more than 15k in the stands for as long as that lasts.

We don’t have to do this to ourselves.

You realize if we win the next two games to finish at 7-5, we need to win 10 games in the ACC to get to 17 wins. I don’t think we can win ten and 17 wins will not get you in the tournament.

I would think it would just depend on cash and bama has alot more cash to dole out
If that is the case then our next coach will get poached for an equal or lesser job should they win here.

Pitino is 70
If asked, I'd think he'll say yes. It'll be his swan song. The man was overseas less than 2 years ago and couldn't find a job. Leading a Syracuse team to a Final 4 would be redemption at the highest level.
He'd take it!

Pitino is 70
Hence the 5 years. He could do a final rebuild job then hand it over to a young upstart. There’s no pressure on Pitino if he replaces JB. There will be pressure on a young coach if they are asked to replace JB. I think it’s easier to follow Pitino at Syracuse than it is to replace JB.

My fear is we go with Red or GMac and just have more of the same. Program needs a fresh direction, IMO.

C'mon guys. no way the board or chancellor signs off on Pitino, waaay to much baggage. It is what it is. JB will have a few more down years, and we give the keys to Gerry or Red. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.

This ties into the other thread "when will you stop watching" if this is how it plays it then I would really really have to think about that again. Then...I would still watch :-/

Hence the 5 years. He could do a final rebuild job then hand it over to a young upstart. There’s no pressure on Pitino if he replaces JB. There will be pressure on a young coach if they are asked to replace JB. I think it’s easier to follow Pitino at Syracuse than it is to replace JB.

My fear is we go with Red or GMac and just have more of the same. Program needs a fresh direction, IMO.
Agree on all points.

Agree on all points.

So - the program with 2 strikes already (or four fouls, if we’re sticking to college hoops analogies) is gonna go out and hire the Walking Show-Cause, Slick Rick the Quick?

That’ll definitely solve the Cuse hoops issues -
By totally nuking Cuse hoops off of the face of the earth.

What could possibly go wrong?

So - the program with 2 strikes already (or four fouls, if we’re sticking to college hoops analogies) is gonna go out and hire the Walking Show-Cause, Slick Rick the Quick?

Better stick with GMac / Red. Just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
If asked, I'd think he'll say yes. It'll be his swan song. The man was overseas less than 2 years ago and couldn't find a job. Leading a Syracuse team to a Final 4 would be redemption at the highest level.
He'd take it!
Dream coach. First game completely decked out in an All Orange silk leisure suit!
The place would explode

I'm sure he'll double pinky swear to behave. Maybe we can get one of the mods to accept a raise in order to proctor his activities and keep him away from the wait staff at Francesca's. Somebody call Weitsman!

Last thing I’d worry about is the paper tiger NCAA. They grow more irrelevant by the hour & if Pitino was stupid enough to do something, any “penalty” would be worth it for another NC.
Every program thats cheated got a slap on the wrist. We were dumb enough to self report and look what that got us.

Last edited:

Go big or go home! Going 16-15 is unbearable. Let’s get nuts!!!

Last thing I’d worry about on this is the paper tiger NCAA. They grow more irrelevant by the hour & if Pitino was stupid enough to do something, any “penalty” would be worth it for another NC.
Every program thats cheated got a slap on the wrist. We were dumb enough to self report and look what that got us.
They had a hard on for JB. He was hosed

Dream coach. First game completely decked out in an All Orange silk leisure suit!
The place would explode

th

Hold your nose and give him the keys to rebuild the program. I have very little doubt that he'd a be a rousing success, putting us in prime position to land a big name when he finally decides to hang it up.

Hire The Swordsman.
I second this. I think SU should give him eight to ten years as head coach. He is really good. Even better than Beihelm.

I think at this point Pitino would be my 3rd call...

1st Jay Wright - Never will happen but I have to check and do my job as an AD
2nd Nate Oats - Give him anything he wants in terms of money
3rd Pitino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online