Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all think that the basketball coach does not represent the University?
Nobody said that. Hold all SU employees, even some of the more visible staff and administrators, to the standard you are with Pitino and see how many are hirable or "good representatives". Pitino's positives would FAR outweigh the negatives unless he completely faceplants and does something even more ridiculous than he has thus far. SU wouldn't be putting him front and center as a paragon of ethics and virtue; everybody knows that.

His job would be to win games and prep our players for life after SU without breaking rules or partaking in any public orgies.

Nobody said that. Hold all SU employees, even some of the more visible staff and administrators, to the standard you are with Pitino and see how many are hirable or "good representatives". Pitino's positives would FAR outweigh the negatives unless he completely faceplants and does something even more ridiculous than he has thus far. SU wouldn't be putting him front and center as a paragon of ethics and virtue; everybody knows that.

His job would be to win games and prep our players for life after SU without breaking rules or partaking in any public orgies.
1) He is slime.
2) The coach represents the University.
His posjtive is that he wins games.
His negative is that Syracuse would be represented by a known unethical person.
In my world his positives do not out weigh his negatives. Our image is more important than how many games we win. Our mission is greater than a basketball factory.

Louisville is a second tier academic institution and they fired him. You people think we should hire him?

Last edited:
Hold your nose and give him the keys to rebuild the program. I have very little doubt that he'd a be a rousing success, putting us in prime position to land a big name when he finally decides to hang it up.

Hire The Swordsman.
I'd have to hold my nose, cover my eyes and plug my ears/

In my world his positives do not out weigh his negatives.
So now we are litigating ethics? Let the fanbase and AD decide what matters most here. What Slick does at Joey's is irrelevant to me as long as he tips well. As far as running a clean program, pot calling kettle back with 2 probations, largely self-inflcited and because JB doesn't care who he rubs the wrong way.

At the end of the day, if ticket revenue falls below a certain threshold then winning games will trump other factors.

Funny how we are too good for Patino but having JB coach this long is great and he deserves to go out when he wants to "on his terms." Like JB hasn't dragged this university through the mud on a number of occasions.

1) He is slime.
In my world his positives do not out weigh his negatives. Our image is more important than how many games we win. Our mission is greater than a basketball factory.

Louisville is a second tier academic institution and they fired him. You people think we should hire him?
Our current image would be significantly enhanced by Slick. Don't be an academic snob.

1) He is slime.

NCAA is an unethical organization. Almost all coaches in football and basketball programs are unethical. He is no worse than anyone else.

No on Pitino. No on Bliss.

An oldie but goodie...

Our current image would be significantly enhanced by Slick. Don't be an academic snob.
9106102584_2d3211b064_e.jpg

Really need to get rid of these deluded ideas Mark Few will leave Gonzaga, a program he took next level when his whole's family's infrastructure is in Pacific Northwest...He owns property in Idaho...We aren't paying him 7.5 M to leave Gonzaga...Also please stop with the tropes of Jay Wright...He's not leaving the Cushy Philly suburbs for Syracuse, New York. Jay Wright may be an example of a coach archetype we target...when he was at Hofstra for 6 years, and he interviewed well for Nova program with a legendary coach who was on a sharp decline...We may better off going outside the program for a coach in the A10 or Horizon League think Dennis Gates type guy. It's probably between Red and Gerry because of JAB3. Please stop with Mike Hopkins. He straight up up stunk the past 2.5 years at Washington. Winning 5 games in the weak Pac12 is pathetic. But because half this board are sentimental geriatrics who remembers how gutsy of a player he was, he's the best fit. Mind you when JAB was out, Hopkins blew games. The 2-3 zone is a gimmick now that only seems to work in NCAA tournament nowadays. Kids idolize Stephen Curry, and the shooting the past 10 years has become markedly better in the college game. This board needs a reality check of what the budget is, who we can afford. But I'll get castigated by the old guard on here who golfs at Drumlins with JAB and Turningstone that Few actually wants this job.
TIL Steve Lappas was a legendary coach.

Must be nice to have such low standards.
That being said. Because Big 12 and SEC have no standard, PAC12, B1G and ACC have to lower standard to compete. But Big 12 and SEC will always have the edge.

NCAA is an unethical organization. Almost all coaches in football and basketball programs are unethical. He is no worse than anyone else.
Evidence shows that he is worse. Your hearsay that every coach cheats does not constitute evidence.

Last edited:
Boeheim has lately sounded like the most ardent of agenda posters on here, where he just says what he wants to be true, even though everyone else knows exactly what he’s doing.
I want no part of Rick Pitjno and your description is completely spot on.
JB is smart and being able to spin and because the local media needs access he knows that he can say whatever.

The guy is legend but it’s time. The problem is their is a portion of this fanbase that thinks he is bigger than the program. He is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom