Pitt Down 4 to Niagara | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Down 4 to Niagara

This shows how bad NCAA's new NET ratings is.

Niagara No. 259 beat Pittsburgh No. 22

NCAA wants to use NET to replace RPI ratings now. They should think again.

This shows how bad NCAA's new NET ratings is.

Niagara No. 259 beat Pittsburgh No. 22

NCAA wants to use NET to replace RPI ratings now. They should think again.

I am no mathematician but I wonder if it is the case of too small a data size. So maybe halfway or further into the season the NET rankings will make sense. Or maybe Adam Silver of 538 is correct and it sucks, time will tell.

I am no mathematician but I wonder if it is the case of too small a data size. So maybe halfway or further into the season the NET rankings will make sense. Or maybe Adam Silver of 538 is correct and it sucks, time will tell.
It will get better, as did the RPI when there were more data points. But just like teams gamed the RPI, teams will learn to game the NET. Someone will reverse-engineer the NET formula (probably Nate Silver) to make that job easier.

JB is always criticized for scheduling cupcakes, but most years those 'cupcakes' (outside of the upstate NY courtesy calls to Colgate and Cornell) provided what is now many Q3 wins, some Q2 wins, and the occasional Q1 win (see Buffalo last year). He tends to know what he is doing, scheduling-wise.

Absolutely part of it.

If you have to bet, bet on Adam Nate Silver. Dude knows what he's talking about.

Adam Silver also does, but not in the field of statistics, haha.

Much harder to hate Pitt now that they're not nearly as competitive. Also, Capel seems much more likeable than Dixon or even Stallings.

The thing I don't understand about all these mathematical models is why they release the info less than 10 games into the season? Am I the only college basketball fan who isn't making a daily entry into an Excel chart to create a line chart of the game-by-game rankings of selected teams? Should we demand that they release the data at each TV timeout?

Last edited:
If you have to bet, bet on Adam Nate Silver. Dude knows what he's talking about.

Adam Silver also does, but not in the field of statistics, haha.

Thank you for the correction I always get his name messed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom