Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina | Syracusefan.com

Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina

I think it's appropriate for an in-conference transfer, and it's not like he won't have many other excellent landing places.

as an aside, I think Norlander's purple prose is more of an embarrassment than the cause he is trying to use as click bait

I think it's appropriate for an in-conference transfer, and it's not like he won't have many other excellent landing places.

as an aside, I think Norlander's purple prose is more of an embarrassment than the cause he is trying to use as click bait
I hate all schools who block.

Players aren't employees. Restricting a players movement is a joke when they are student athletes. Especially when a player graduates.

The NCAA is a joke. Jamie Dixon can leave without restriction but the players who generate the revenue can't.

The only sports players have to sit on transfers are FB and BB
Lax players move without sitting out.

Players aren't employees. Restricting a players movement is a joke when they are student athletes. Especially when a player graduates.

The NCAA is a joke. Jamie Dixon can leave without restriction but the players who generate the revenue can't.

Slam dunk lawsuit. It's baseball's old reserve clause.

I wonder why that is. No, I don't.

I've never understood why no one has challenged this...

I mean it's horrible this happens but the sports media only cares for certain schools and programs. You didn't hear this much talk about Gus Edwards. If this wasn't UNC nobody would care.

I mean it's horrible this happens but the sports media only cares for certain schools and programs. You didn't hear this much talk about Gus Edwards. If this wasn't UNC nobody would care.

The Gus story got picked up nationally, people like Mike Greenberg were outraged about it. Like most other stories in the news cycles of today, it went away fast

I may be wrong but this is different than the Gus Edwards situation in that Johnson is a grad transfer. I don;t really have a problem with players not being able to transfer within a conference but the rules should be different if the player has already graduated. They are already different in that they do not have to sit out a transfer year. Was the rule written so poorly as to not accommodate grads with more than one year of eligibility left? NCAA with a poorly written rule?

I may be wrong but this is different than the Gus Edwards situation in that Johnson is a grad transfer. I don;t really have a problem with players not being able to transfer within a conference but the rules should be different if the player has already graduated. They are already different in that they do not have to sit out a transfer year. Was the rule written so poorly as to not accommodate grads with more than one year of eligibility left? NCAA with a poorly written rule?

Edwards was a grad transfer also.

Slam dunk lawsuit. It's baseball's old reserve clause.
it's nothing like the reserve clause; it's more like (very lightly) restricted free agency

I don't see how he is damaged here. If it is the graduate program at UNC that he values, there is nothing stopping from enrolling there; he can even accept a grant in aid from the UNC AD, but he can't play that first year.
On the flip side, if it is playing immediately that he values, then there are any number of fine programs with excellent graduate schools where he can attend without having to sit.
Whichever it is that he values the most - the UNC education, or playing immediately - both are available to him.

On the other hand, Pittsburgh (and every school, frankly) has an interest in maintaining in-conference transfer restrictions for competitive purposes.

Pitt (or some future school) may well lose such a suit, but it is far from a slam dunk

If we weren't playing Miami this year they would have let Edwards come to SU.
It was purely Miami protecting themselves on the field since they play Syracuse. We got unlucky that this was the 1 in 6 seasons we play Miami.

Pitt is blocking Johnson from going for 2 years to UNC. They will release him if he sits out next year. That is a joke.

I mean if he ends up playing at UNC I'm going to be angry that we didn't go after him. He was blocked immediately and UNC's interest came later. I just don't feel bad for UNC.

I mean if he ends up playing at UNC I'm going to be angry that we didn't go after him. He was blocked immediately and UNC's interest came later. I just don't feel bad for UNC.
Yeah it's tough figuring out what to do with those four year all Americans. Must be tough to coach those guys!

The saga is over...
But he still needs to sit out a year. Lame.

The saga is over...
But he still needs to sit out a year. Lame.

So he has to sit out a year but has two years of eligibility left? Pitt is going to be bad the next two years they have to play him now anyways so they might as well get it over with and give him the full release.

So he has to sit out a year but has two years of eligibility left? Pitt is going to be bad the next two years they have to play him now anyways so they might as well get it over with and give him the full release.
If he goes to UNC without the waiver from Pitt he loses one of his 2 years.

He already had a RS if he goes to UNC he will have 1 year left.

If the kid wanted UNC then he had to give up a year without Pitt accommodating him.

If he goes to UNC without the waiver from Pitt he loses one of his 2 years.

He already had a RS if he goes to UNC he will have 1 year left.

If the kid wanted UNC then he had to give up a year without Pitt accommodating him.

I didn't know he redshirted, your right then because the 5 to play 4 rule comes into play then.