Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina

Simpler terms, The guy, Cameron Johnson graduated from Pitt and chose to continue his basketball development at another school. The Pittsburgh head coach, Stallings refuses to sign off on him going to a same conference (UNC). I believe that the school and the players have a one year contract (not 4 years) (scholarship) for each year the player is at the school which is renewable by the school. So, I assume that there is a stipulation in the scholarship/contract that states the school/coach can limit where the student can transfer to.

If the player willingly signed this agreement to receive this scholarship, then he is obligated to honor the agreement. It stinks in my eyes that your coach would not sign off. As we all know that Pittsburgh is in hell of trouble because Stallings is there. Johnson graduated and he is screwed by his coach. Wondered if he can enroll at UNC and play as a walk-on?
If a clause in an adhesion contract is illegal, immoral or unenforceable, it doesn't matter that the other party signed contract.

Bad language in such contracts is narrowly construed and is always held against the drafter and in the light most favorable to the non-drafter.

I believe that the restriction on transfers is illegal. It also has a disproportionate disparate impact on African Americans. If challenged, I believe a court throws it out.

The NCAA should tread lightly. It cannot reasonably say it exists for the best interest of the student, but it imposes restrictions on the student because he is an athlete.

IMO, the NCAA screws itself by letting non-revenue sports atheltes transfer unimpeded.

Gus Edwards was a graduate transfer which imo is far worse than this. But I doubt Pitt relents, Miami wouldn't allow Gus to transfer to Pittsburgh either (not just Syracuse).

If a clause in an adhesion contract is illegal, immoral or unenforceable, it doesn't matter that the other party signed contract.

Bad language in such contracts is narrowly construed and is always held against the drafter and in the light most favorable to the non-drafter.

I believe that the restriction on transfers is illegal. It also has a disproportionate disparate impact on African Americans. If challenged, I believe a court throws it out.

The NCAA should tread lightly. It cannot reasonably say it exists for the best interest of the student, but it imposes restrictions on the student because he is an athlete.

IMO, the NCAA screws itself by letting non-revenue sports atheltes transfer unimpeded.

Agree on most if not all your comments. However, these policies, agreements, or whatever you want to call them have been in place for decade(s), where most if not all universities have honored them. It's almost like a form of slavery where the university/sports department owns the right to the players and can do whatever they want (release them, limit them, keep them, just can't sell them).

Anyway, no one has contest this in the past. So, history shows compliance to vice contesting the policy.

My understanding is that Pitt isn't blocking the transfer but is simply holding him and not letting him come off a screen for UNC. Cleaver move. Reminds of their defense for the last 2 decades. Hey Cam it's really frustrating and unfair no one is calling it and you are at a complete disadvantage. I could say I feel sorry for you but I would be lying. Then again the enemy of your enemy is your friend so maybe that makes us brothers for life.

Not surprised. That would just be another thing opposing coaches could use to negatively recruit against them. And then you're Pittsburgh and your coach is Kevin Stallings, you already have enough on that list.

Every school has to back down on these once they are big enough and they have no leg to stand on. Only reason we didn't get Gus Edwards was because it didn't become a big enough deal and because Miami had at a very small, understandable reason for the block.

If it wasn't UNC and a few others nobody would care. The nations sports media have 2 poops about Gus Edwards being blocked. Hypocrites. Yes I'm bitter.

We better sweep these clowns this year, they are going to be god awful.