Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt is blocking Cam Johnson from transferring to North Carolina

The saga is over...
But he still needs to sit out a year. Lame.
why is it lame? he made the choice that he most valued, and gets 2 years at the graduate program of his choice all expenses paid.

if playing immediately was important to him, there were a number of other grad programs that would have been glad to have him.

why is it lame? he made the choice that he most valued, and gets 2 years at the graduate program of his choice all expenses paid.

if playing immediately was important to him, there were a number of other grad programs that would have been glad to have him.

He fulfilled his obligation to Pitt and graduated. My feeling is he should be able to not only choose his next school without restriction but also get his full two years left. Pitt is lame.

UNC Grad Program

UNC.png

I dont know about Mike Waters, Vitale, or the worshipped on here Bilas, but as a SU fan I sure as heck don't want to see the guy transfer in-conference and go to UNC regardless of graduation. Degrees are relatively meaningless when it comes to sports, and in this day and age the majority are becoming as devalued as the American dollar due to overprinting. So if you look at it from a sports perspective, it's not really good for sports, even though I do generally support individual liberties. Like UNC really needed any more talent, and like Pitt really needed to lose any more. Out of conference or waiting a year sounds like a decent enough compromise for someone who doesnt want to stick with the teammates they committed to, IMO.

Was there this much of a stink with Miami and gus edwards? Same situation right? Is there a reason why Gus couldn't have just transferred like Cam?

This kid owes the school nothing! He did great in school graduated with honors in 3 years while being part of their basketball program. Pitt is the one that made a boneheaded decision to fire Dixon and then hired Stallings. That's the reason he's leaving and he had nothing to do with it.

I hope UNC gets a tournament ban the year he plays there.

Yep. I know Pitt screwed him over, but this is still a Pitt player we are talking about. Once Pitt, always Pitt. It's like saying "yeah I was a serial killer, but that was before, I'm good now."

I dont know about Mike Waters, Vitale, or the worshipped on here Bilas, but as a SU fan I sure as heck don't want to see the guy transfer in-conference and go to UNC regardless of graduation. Degrees are relatively meaningless when it comes to sports, and in this day and age the majority are becoming as devalued as the American dollar due to overprinting. So if you look at it from a sports perspective, it's not really good for sports, even though I do generally support individual liberties. Like UNC really needed any more talent, and like Pitt really needed to lose any more. Out of conference or waiting a year sounds like a decent enough compromise for someone who doesnt want to stick with the teammates they committed to, IMO.
Simpler terms, The guy, Cameron Johnson graduated from Pitt and chose to continue his basketball development at another school. The Pittsburgh head coach, Stallings refuses to sign off on him going to a same conference (UNC). I believe that the school and the players have a one year contract (not 4 years) (scholarship) for each year the player is at the school which is renewable by the school. So, I assume that there is a stipulation in the scholarship/contract that states the school/coach can limit where the student can transfer to.

If the player willingly signed this agreement to receive this scholarship, then he is obligated to honor the agreement. It stinks in my eyes that your coach would not sign off. As we all know that Pittsburgh is in hell of trouble because Stallings is there. Johnson graduated and he is screwed by his coach. Wondered if he can enroll at UNC and play as a walk-on?

Was there this much of a stink with Miami and gus edwards? Same situation right? Is there a reason why Gus couldn't have just transferred like Cam?
I believe the difference is that Cam got his degree in 3 years and red-shirted one of them so he has two years to use two. If Pitt prevails he must sit out one of them. I believe Gus was at Miami the full four years so he has one to play one and that one must be in 2017 or the five year clock expires. Now if he were to go to Rutgers, get injured preseason, petition for and be granted a sixth year...

I hate all schools who block.

Players aren't employees. Restricting a players movement is a joke when they are student athletes. Especially when a player graduates.

The NCAA is a joke. Jamie Dixon can leave without restriction but the players who generate the revenue can't.

The only sports players have to sit on transfers are FB and BB
Lax players move without sitting out.
I hate Pitt so this works out great for me. Just another reason to hate something I already hate.

The grad transfer rule is supposed to be about education; i.e. Player graduates and wants to transfer to a school in order to begin a graduate program that the original school did not offer.

Pitt offers 14 graduate programs and professional schools (per Google). I wonder what career path Johnson is so deeply interested in that is offered by UNC and not Pitt. Were the other schools he was looking at also offering this new course of study, or was he simply going to do find a new career path after selecting a school?

The grad transfer rule is supposed to be about education; i.e. Player graduates and wants to transfer to a school in order to begin a graduate program that the original school did not offer.

Pitt offers 14 graduate programs and professional schools (per Google). I wonder what career path Johnson is so deeply interested in that is offered by UNC and not Pitt. Were the other schools he was looking at also offering this new course of study, or was he simply going to do find a new career path after selecting a school?

Thank you, I often feel alone in a Roman wilderness of pain with my views on here. I think I'm going to return to getting inebriated when logging on, to have some of this make more sense. Second thread in a row where I am sickened to see people rooting for Duke or UNC to have title contender teams that we have to play against. This conference must really SUCK if people are still holding onto bitterness against somebody like Pitt, and cheering for a team that destroys our ass annually. Can you tell I'm getting wound up?!?

I hope UNC gets a tournament ban the year he plays there.

Post of the thread, IMO. Being he will be there for 2 years, I hope they are banned for 2 years. Heck, I'd hope that even if he wasn't there.

This kid owes the school nothing! He did great in school graduated with honors in 3 years while being part of their basketball program. Pitt is the one that made a boneheaded decision to fire Dixon and then hired Stallings. That's the reason he's leaving and he had nothing to do with it.
Pitt didn't fire Dixon