Pitt Postgame Thoughts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Postgame Thoughts

So you admit, Taylor is out of position. Hard to blame the kid for that. Of the starters, he is the only one who consistently rebounds.
Agree Taylor is out of position. I think the key word is starters. The front line of starters is McLeod, Taylor and Bell. There is a reason that they are getting out rebounded with this starting lineup. Changes once brown and coupland come in the game. I know Red wants three point shooting and bell and Taylor are our best percentage wise. I like Taylor but in acc play he hurts us at PF. Not his fault. Just not sure there is another option unless Benny becomes more consistent or McLeod or another center make a big leap allowing Brown to play PF which I do not see happening.
Right now the rotation works. It seems Red subs after 5 minutes. I could see that shorten up and league play continues.

I think their minutes need to be staggered.

Would love to find combos where one of Bell/Taylor is productive with one of Copeland/Benny.
I think the issue is that brown and q are helping find some offense for Benny and I think red views JJ as maybe our most steady two/way guy/ball-handler.

Even without JJ shooting well the past two games he takes care of the ball and doesn’t force a lot. Not sure he’s a great defender but he’s not out of position often and he works hard on that end. Think that’s part of the reason (foul trouble is the other part) why he has 50+ more mins than even Judah at this point.

And obviously you’d rather not take Judah off the floor any more than you have to.

So I agree that q in particular could help bell/taylor, it’s not totally clear how they’ll get on the floor together.

Folks keep talking NBA for Judah and JJ. I said before, Q has the most NBA potential on this team in my opinion*. He is a 6’6” Dramon Green, but with a great attitude. Wait until he gets a serviceable outside shot and losses some of the showboat moves (not all) from his game.
(*Note: I have never seen Wesley play)

For all that is holy. Draymond is a 6’6” Draymond Green.

Y’all are absolutely nuts on this internet web site when it comes to the nba.

Also, go Knicks, baby!

Part of the reason Brown and Cope are so effective and disruptive defensively is they don't start and come in fresh against guys who have been playing I just don't think you'd get what we are getting from them off the opening tip off.

We are probably best leaving the lineup as it is unless Red thinks Benny swapped with Bell or Taylor is for the best. But we clearly like to run a play for McCleod inside to start games/halfs and get Bell an early 3 point look. But if Benny Williams is doing all the right things off the court practicing hard showing up on time etc let him start he can be one of the best players in the ACC and if is not his night Taylor comes in.

Judah has to stop thinking he can play D like Cope and Brown Pitt probably got 10 cheap easy points off him cheating.

First shoym and now you, wow.

Either or both of those guys are key to having an actual half court offense

For this team to be really good, all nine have to contribute over the season
Benny and Cope were playing well Taylor and Bell weren't your post is spot on we have a minimum of 9 guys that can contribute 12 if you add in the other two center 13 when Chance is back. We are deeper than any team i can remember at SU.

Im getting worried about Bell and Taylor. Is it simply if they don’t make shots, they can’t play?
They can't beat their men off the dribble to create shots or get straight to the whole. They both just like to hang on the perimeter for the most part.

Part of the reason Brown and Cope are so effective and disruptive defensively is they don't start and come in fresh against guys who have been playing I just don't think you'd get what we are getting from them off the opening tip off.

We are probably best leaving the lineup as it is unless Red thinks Benny swapped with Bell or Taylor is for the best. But we clearly like to run a play for McCleod inside to start games/halfs and get Bell an early 3 point look. But if Benny Williams is doing all the right things off the court practicing hard showing up on time etc let him start he can be one of the best players in the ACC and if is not his night Taylor comes in.

Judah has to stop thinking he can play D like Cope and Brown Pitt probably got 10 cheap easy points off him cheating.
I'm a huge fan of SUs historical use of 6th men that are better than the starters. Loving this 3 person 6th men as well.

But, teams will figure things out & strategize for it. As always, and as with any great team, we need 8 guys that can contribute 6+ of something, points, rebounds, assists, with 2 or 3 included that can get 14+ points as well. This whole season we are stuck on 3 productive players and 5 not doing a lot. It's just the 3 rotates. Just need the 5 to be more productive, consistently.

Would love for Taylor, Bell, Cuffe, Naheem to figure out ways to stay productive.

Great win. Enjoy it. 2024 is gonna be a great year.

They can't beat their men off the dribble to create shots or get straight to the whole. They both just like to hang on the perimeter for the most part.
yes.

would love to see one or 2 set plays installed for taylor and bell to get looks from deep

wide open good looks

team needs to work to get these guys shots...not going to happen on its own

then again, once teams start keying on Q and Benny and JJ more...etc might be better opportunities for them

with all the penetrators on the team...should be able to get open 3s at will, imo

He'd get looks if Sherman was the PG. At this point, Taylor looks like a guy who can do a few things well, but his shooting seems to take a hit when he's pressured or shooting off a dribble. Sherm would tell him to plant. Sherm would figure out how to get him open looks. With time for him to set up, he'd probably be a much more consistent and confident shooter.

Eventually, maybe Q can help in that regard.
the coaches need to install a few set plays for taylor and bell

watch tape of reggie miller, stepch curry, redick, buddy, etc and see how they got open looks

the players arent just going to figure it out on their own, in this case

Love the intensity of their man to man D in the last few games the way they harass the crap out of the man they’re guarding. Not all of SU's players are quick but they all have been hustling the best they can and helping each other out too.

I might get scolded by gramps, but Judah was bot
good yesterday. According to BPM the only guys with a worse performance yesterday were Cuffe and Bell. And they didn’t play nearly close to the amount of minutes he did.

I guess it’s a good thing to take away that we won with him playing awful, but the defense, turnovers, and end of game execution need to get cleaned up. No excuses to be going one on 3 up 10 with 90 seconds to go.

I might get scolded by gramps, but Judah was bot
good yesterday. According to BPM the only guys with a worse performance yesterday were Cuffe and Bell. And they didn’t play nearly close to the amount of minutes he did.

I guess it’s a good thing to take away that we won with him playing awful, but the defense, turnovers, and end of game execution need to get cleaned up. No excuses to be going one on 3 up 10 with 90 seconds to go.
We won the game. Why the extra bagging on the kid and needling his family? I don’t get it…

We won the game. Why the extra bagging on the kid and needling his family? I don’t get it…
We have an entire thread on McLeod after yesterday, but we can’t criticize Judah?

It wasn’t personal.

That’s two games in a row our end of game execution was not good. The same thing happened against Niagara. It falls mostly on our pg to clean that up.

We have an entire thread on McLeod after yesterday, but we can’t criticize Judah?

It wasn’t personal.

That’s two games in a row our end of game execution was not good. The same thing happened against Niagara. It falls mostly on our pg to clean that up.
Not saying that at all it’s a fan board….

i think your points are valid…. The delivery got me because it seemed personal….

So you admit, Taylor is out of position. Hard to blame the kid for that. Of the starters, he is the only one who consistently rebounds.
Position suitability is important. That is why I wanted Hima so that Brown could be pf and Benny SF. I'd put Cope at sg where he would have a clear height advantage. JJ as sixth man. Hima is a big lost opportunity for the team. Going by all statistical measures JJ gets too much pt.
Regarding Taylor, he battles down low but his release is slow. He would do best as a sg or SF where he would not have a height disadvantage.

who would be considered “really good“ in the ACC?

duke, unc, and Clemson? That it?
I think WF might be sneaky-good. Forbes has been a master of the portal (brought in ACC POY two seasons ago). This year, he got 2 guys from Gonzaga.

Judah was not struggling he was just not making shots. He had 5 assists, 3 steals, 12 points, a timely 3 ball, 2 free throws to put us up, a great dunk off a JJ lob, a great lob to Benny, played pressure defense, and played a solid floor game getting the team into their sets. Just because he didn’t score as much as usual doesn’t mean he struggled. Plus he showed great energy and leadership. His coach and teammates liked what he brought I’m sure. You clearly don’t know the game. There’s more to the game than scoring.
I wish he would play smarter defense. The team doesn't need him fouled out and sitting on the bench at the end of the game.

This team is unusual in that there's no single dominant rebounder. Everyone is below 6 rebounds per game. The only other time that's happened at season-end in the past 40 years is 2011-12, maybe our best team ever.
Like that old Illinois team with Kendall Gill, Battle etc.. I think most of them were like 6'6 / 6'7 ish.

Not going to lie, I would have stewed for days about the Refs if we didn't win that game.

Did anyone hear what the crowd was yesterday, it looked pretty full on tv. If this game was played at 7pm they might of hit 30k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom