Pitt Postgame Thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Postgame Thoughts

although his early rebound numbers were good i'll echo the above statements and say justin taylor is in no way a power forward in the ACC . he's a 6'6 rangy 2-3 swing who best develop a consistent stroke if he wants PT.

Well Benny had a lot to do with Justin playing PF.

If you listened to the way he said it, it was more “don’t ask about him again”

he also talked about how much eligibility he has. Prob wants him to redshirt
That was a rumor a month or so ago so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Sorry, but trying to judge an environment based on what you are watching on tv is more than a bit bizarre. Turn the volume up and the crowd will seem MUCH louder!
Have to agree with you. I've only been to the Dome one time since we moved away in 1987 so I had the same impression about it being quiet from watching on tv. But after being to a game live, and it wasn't even one of our most well-attended football games, it's much louder than I would've ever guessed.

FWIW Taylor’s defensive metrics are pretty good on the season. He was tied with Judah coming into the game in defensive win shares in significantly less minutes. He and Bell probably should be staggered, but that‘s it. McLeod is much more of a liability than either of those guys IMO.
But in terms of the eye test, all I see is him getting waxed on D with a lack of foot speed or strength to stop his man.

Copeland had a hell of an offensive game but no one has said anything about the defensive assignment on Hinson? He was in his face all game long and clearly frustrated him.
He was fantastic on D today. Q might turn out to be our defensive stopper - as much for being annoying as what he can do physically. He’ll make mistakes at both ends, but his effort is always 100%.

Much different skill set, but reminds me a lot of Scoop. Will drive you crazy at times, but won’t back down and is willing to try and make a play.

Very impressed with how Red is willing to change lineups/combinations during the game. It won’t always work, but he’s comfortable trying. Nice to score 80 without much from 3.

Only two plays upset me today - Q missing the layup after a steal (he could have slowed down or passed it), and Maliq missing a similar point blank shot (reverse layup?). First time I saw Maliq also miss an offensive rebound on a close miss, but Pitt is solid around the rim/glass.

Pretty sure Q took it personally, since he was back at the line a minute later, visibly and verbally talking to himself.

Agree. I hesitate to change the startling lineup because I'm afraid you might lose Bell and Taylor and I don't want our rotation to shorten that much and there's still a chance they might hit some threes if nothing else.
They’re not leaving until the end of the season. One or both may leave. Having both in together affects rebounding and D. It seems set plays need to be run for them for three point shots. When their feet is set high percentage compared to catch and shot.

And just to add to this point...this is really not my opinion...when I watch games with other people, non Syracuse fans, on TV, they resoundingly have said (this year, last few years) that the Dome crowd looks apathetically boring. From November to March.

The views of "non-partisans" is more telling than my view on this subject. It just hasn't been good for a while now. Again compared to what Basketball focused places in the Big 12, Big East, etc are doing.
Sometimes the crowd doesn’t come across well on TV. They muffle the sound. But this is a common complaint of fans (not non-partisans) who don’t go to the game. Sometimes it’s true; sometimes it’s not.

When we look bad, are losing, or we are clearly going to win, the crowd does quiet due to anxiety or, in the latter case, they are relaxing. When the game is close, the crowd is great. Everyone in the dome today knew how important this game was. When I say that the crowd WILLED the team to come back from an 11 point deficit, I mean just that. They fed off our energy and we gave it to them. This is what our team lives for, and what every team lives for. And today they got it. It was a thrilling, satisfying win.

I am interested in what you thought of the crowd today?

not leaving until the end of the season. One or both may leave. Having both in together affects rebounding and D. It seems set plays need to be run for them for three point shots. When their feet is set high percentage compared to catch and shot.
I think Bell can definitely score at this level. He needs plays run for him to get at least a second because he’s not great at creating his own shot. But he can drive and score in a few ways. His major issue is whether he can impact the game in other ways if he isn’t scoring. I think Red should continue to start Bell each half to see what he’s going to give him. On a team with such limited shooting you have to give Bell a chance. When we pull upsets this year or when we blow out teams, it will be because Bell hit 3 or 4 threes opening up the whole offense for everyone else.

Sometimes the crowd doesn’t come across well on TV.
i was listening. but coach Satilan did remark with a few minutes to go something along the lines of...
"at least the crowd isn't filing out " anyone who watches our games has to admit this trend is terrible optics for a fan base who is supposed to be "diehard". i myself have never once left a game early.
(i am however guilty of not watching on live tv or switching cnannels before the half.) sorry.

Judah gambles way too often 40 ft away from the basket. Red needs to get him to play sound D by moving his feet more often. You dont want to take away his aggressiveness but it’s just resulting in fouls and numbers the other way.
He is an awful defender. Also not smart on that end, it's going to bite us.

He is an awful defender. Also not smart on that end, it's going to bite us.

I think hes OK defensively he just thinks he can slap the ball away at will like Brown and Cope can and its just wrong hes not that good at it and the other teams starting PG is going to make him pay. He gave up a ton of cheap points to Pitt today and its not the first time Red is going to have to drill into him that he has to stay disciplined and he'll have plenty of spots to go for steals when we press.

Pitt might end up being really good or not that good, but the one really important thing I saw today from us was toughness. After Hawaii I really didn't think this team had it, or at least enough of it. But today, with both the style of play and battling back from down double digits, they showed they do have it. They can get mean and fight.

Playing Brown and Benny together makes us so much better. I never thought Benny would get it together. Good for him. He can take this team to another level if he plays hard, with passion and let the ball come to him. He’s so much better athletically than anyone on this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom