Platinum Conversation Over | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Platinum Conversation Over

If they weren't $120 at Schine I would have bought one. They are awesome.
I would totally rock those shorts when I work out, but with that price tag and the fact I have a 10 month old who needs $30 formula, not a chance. I have a hard enough time justifying paying over $50 to basically play dress up.

Boring? Gray is boring? What is more boring than white. I mean seriously, it's white. The gray is replacing white. whoopdee doo. I'm 48 (barely) and I like them. I'd flip the name/# and also think orange #'s would look better, but I'm down. Both my kids like them and want them. Oh no, at $120 and $80 for shorts, come to think of it, maybe they do stink. :crazy:

They suck out loud.*

And, as previously mentioned, they're gray. Platinum is a METALLIC color, as specified in any graphic design environment. And, as any designer knows, if you print a metallic ink on an uncoated stock/surface, the result is a decidedly non-metallic finish. In short, you get GRAY.

That said, i don't really care so much whether they're gray or silver or platinum. I don't even care if they encroach upon Georgetown or the battleship Potemkin. They're fine. I do think, though, the fine folks at Nike ought to devote their enormous resources toward individualizing any 'special' uniform treatments. They shoulda done something specific to/for Syracuse. Whether that means a retro-inspired design, or something that truly reflects that we are the Orange.

And the fact that Mr. Coleman thinks they're "sick" means very little. I hope you're not taking 'fashion cues' from a Syracuse high schooler.

*The concept, more than anything.

Possibly the most idiotic opinion that gets (forcefully) brought up on this board is that anyone who hates new nontraditional uniforms is an old codger.

Prolly bc 'kids are stupid.' Anyone who doesn't realize that just isn't old enough to know better.
[28 is okay - you're safe!]

They suck out loud.*

And, as previously mentioned, they're gray. Platinum is a METALLIC color, as specified in any graphic design environment. And, as any designer knows, if you print a metallic ink on an uncoated stock/surface, the result is a decidedly non-metallic finish. In short, you get GRAY.

That said, i don't really care so much whether they're gray or silver or platinum. I don't even care if they encroach upon Georgetown or the battleship Potemkin. They're fine. I do think, though, the fine folks at Nike ought to devote their enormous resources toward individualizing any 'special' uniform treatments. They shoulda done something specific to/for Syracuse. Whether that means a retro-inspired design, or something that truly reflects that we are the Orange.

And the fact that Mr. Coleman thinks they're "sick" means very little. I hope you're not taking 'fashion cues' from a Syracuse high schooler.

*The concept, more than anything.

well, nike actually included quite a few syracuse-specific touches.

Did SU and the other special schools that have them have to get permission from the NCAA to wear them as home colors? I mean in some school districts home teams have to wear some form of white and as pointed out gray/platinium is not white. How could SU wear them (or any team for that matter) when they play Georgetown?

I like the design ('Cuse, names under hte number, etc) but I don't like the platinum/grey.

Then again I'm 22.

I think that the only legitimate gripe with the Uni's is that they are essentially Georgetown grey. If we were any of the other schools who get them, I'd think they look cool/distinguish us as an elite program.

I like the design ('Cuse, names under hte number, etc) but I don't like the platinum/grey.

Then again I'm 22.

And I'm almost 3x your age and I agree.. BTW, the correct way to misspell "the" is teh, not hte... ;)

Did SU and the other special schools that have them have to get permission from the NCAA to wear them as home colors? I mean in some school districts home teams have to wear some form of white and as pointed out gray/platinium is not white. How could SU wear them (or any team for that matter) when they play Georgetown?
I think the home team can wear whatever they want. Come to think of it, we should just wear orange every game.

Simply put, your opinion and my opinion don't matter. The only opinions that matter are those of the players who will keep Syracuse an elite program. I could care less what our uniforms look like, so long as the recruits are into it.

These uniforms are just another attempt by a multi national corporation to get more money out of sports crazed fans, so of whom are so into their program that they will blindly spend money on anything remotely related to it. And yes, I will say it: even if it is cheap looking, ugly and second rate.

Congratulations to Nike for selling some people with their crafty marketing. Heck, if people like these and end up buying them (I haven't seen anyone wearing one yet and I see people wearing all sorts of SU gear every day), more power to them.

Congratulations to Nike for creating uniforms that will attract recruits to our program.

"the nike's on the hand it fits
there's really nothing much to it
whistle thru your teeth and spit"

I have no idea what that means.. Is it a typo? I read it like 5 times and still have no clue... Does this make sense to anyone not named Beavis?

I still dont get it...I feel so dumb.

There was a time when people complained about the long shorts. Could you imagine SU running out on the floor with nut huggers on? There was a time when people hated black socks. There was a time when the "potty" shot was the only way to make a free throw. Time change.
I am not a huge fan (could take them or leave them) but if the kids in the class of 2014, 2015 etc think it's cool and they run out and buy a cuse hat or jersey then I'm all for it.
I'm a Cuse fan...no mater what they wear.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Possibly the most idiotic opinion that gets (forcefully) brought up on this board is that anyone who hates new nontraditional uniforms is an old codger.

I'm 28. I think they're ugly. I'm no more wrong about that than Jerami Grant is wrong for expressing his opinion that they're terrific. (In fact, I might be more right, since I'm happy to articulate concrete elements of those uniforms that are aesthetically lacking.)

Yes. Your opinions are more important that Jerami Grant.

I think the home team can wear whatever they want. Come to think of it, we should just wear orange every game.
Correct. NCAA rules are very different than high school districts. Cincy occasionally wears black or red at home. pretty much just tell the visitor what color you are wearing and tell them wear something else.

I can tell you first hand that the reaction at other schools has been...mixed. The Dukies (and commentators) were pretty upset with the fact that it was very difficult to see their numbers. The reception at Florida was overwhelmingly positive. Baylor women...well, no one really cared bc everyone there was over 60. And who cares about UConn.

I'll be sporting my jersey tomorrow night...but I can't say I would've paid $120 for it.

I will say that the Platinum Elite socks are awesome. Kids go crazy for them (yes, socks).

How is it over? People can't have a discussion based on their personal preference?

I don't think anyone says its not good from the standpoint of recruits and players liking them. It's a conversation because people have opinions one way or another about it, this isn't Russia is it? Just because an article says they are cool like fire doesn't mean the conversation should just end.

I'm sure there are recruits that don't like them too, they just didn't get quoted in the article. I'm glad Nike chose to do something special and we were included but doesn't mean I have to like the end product (they are ok as far as I am concerned for a one game deal but I am not a huge fan).

Relax.

I would totally rock those shorts when I work out, but with that price tag and the fact I have a 10 month old who needs $30 formula, not a chance. I have a hard enough time justifying paying over $50 to basically play dress up.
Jekelish: Fortunately for you that you are not the target audience that Nike is going after. But I'm surprised that bnoro is passing on these. He is the guy that Nike is counting on.

$120 is nothing. Just remember that Nike has convinced two generations of people (in the US and abroad) that it's ok to spend $150 on sneakers. And that's just sneakers. They, and a couple other companies, have convinced a generation of people to spend up to $350 for a baseball or softball bat. That's just an example. Have you priced Golf clubs, Hockey sticks or Lacrosse sticks in the last ten or fifteen years.

So for all you people that don't like the jersey or are too cheap or can't afford to buy them, don't worry, Nike will find a way to take your money some other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom