play cupcakes | Syracusefan.com

play cupcakes

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
play ONE old big east team (nova, st johns, gtowns, uconn, etc) not 3, 1 acc/big 10 challenge, and maybe every other year do a preseason tourny. other than that ALL CUPCAKES. its obviously more important to rack up the win totals. and i would throw in a road game against a cupcake in nov/dec. didnt we play at canisius a few years ago?

the non conference scheduling is vitally important. we'd get abused for playing cupcakes or not leaving the state of ny till january but at least we were safely in the tournament every year.

Two alternatives:
1. Play one cupcake game on the road.
2. Play hyper elite teams on the road/neutral.

It looks like MSU got in by having two extra road cupcake wins and by losing away from home to Kentucky and Arizona.

Of course #3: don't lose to garbage teams. But you can't pre-plan who you will win or lose to, so scheduling is important.

Two alternatives:
1. Play one cupcake game on the road.
2. Play hyper elite teams on the road/neutral.

It looks like MSU got in by having two extra road cupcake wins and by losing away from home to Kentucky and Arizona.

Of course #3: don't lose to garbage teams. But you can't pre-plan who you will win or lose to, so scheduling is important.
This isn't hard. Nothing needs to be done if you take care of business (#3). For all the inexplicable performances this season, one more win at any point along the way would likely have been enough.

play ONE old big east team (nova, st johns, gtowns, uconn, etc) not 3, 1 acc/big 10 challenge, and maybe every other year do a preseason tourny. other than that ALL CUPCAKES. its obviously more important to rack up the win totals. and i would throw in a road game against a cupcake in nov/dec. didnt we play at canisius a few years ago?

the non conference scheduling is vitally important. we'd get abused for playing cupcakes or not leaving the state of ny till january but at least we were safely in the tournament every year.

Usually I find your takes very reasonable and I'm on board, but I just can't get with this. We didn't miss the tourney because of our schedule, we missed because we sucked this year.

UConn, St Johns and Georgetown all had sub-100 RPIs. These teams were cupcakes.

We got snubbed the year we won at Canisius.

Usually I find your takes very reasonable and I'm on board, but I just can't get with this. We didn't miss the tourney because of our schedule, we missed because we sucked this year.

but they are rivalry games. this team destroyed the non big east cupcakes we played in nov/dec. unless we're a dominant 1 seed type of team we're not gonna beat gtown by 30. usually these games are close, unless we get killed haha

We played cupcakes in 2007. How'd that workout? If you want to say Gillon should've been the point guard since day 1, I can get behind that.

yea but we lost to 2 of those "cupcakes". we still gotta beat them

Play ualbany at the times union center and play ubuffalo at the hsbc arena every year.

Work out some deal where we get a good percentage of tix sales but they are the home team.

Most fans will be ours, gate should still be good. And will count as 3 rpi wins. Not a lot of downside.

That's true, but I took what he was saying differently. Since you can't pre-plan who you lose to, there are ways to change the schedule to protect for that. Syracuse's track record of getting into the tournament when we are a bubble team is awful. But of course we never plan to be a bubble team. But if instead of playing St. John's at the dome this year, we played Kentucky at Rupp (and lost), we might very well be in the tournament right now.

BINGO! give me a break, our OOC schedule sucked, people act like it was difficult. All three of the old Big East teams blew. South Carolina is a solid team but the game was in NY, and they crushed us. Wisconsin loss on the road, another crushing. Good team, so that isn't the end of the world but do you think we are scheduling Wisconsin on the road if it weren't forced on us by the ACC/Big 10 challenge? Nope. And now that we are getting ACC cash, the old excuses that we need to play a bunch of home games to make $$ is crap. I don't think we should play a Michigan State or Vandy schedule, but we can certainly play a bit tougher one. Our OOC schedule was damn easy this year, should have had at least 3 more wins. That, and the BC game, are why we are in the NIT.

I am starting to really think that Dasher is absolutely correct when he said in another thread last night that the sanctions have hurt us more than we know.

Play ualbany at the times union center and play ubuffalo at the hsbc arena every year.

Work out some deal where we get a good percentage of tix sales but they are the home team.

Most fans will be ours, gate should still be good. And will count as 3 rpi wins. Not a lot of downside.

Albany was a 20 win team this year, one win away from the tourney, and had a better RPI than St. Johns. The downside is we could easily lose to them.

Sorry but "rivalry game" is only worth so much. Philly teams are hyped up to play Nova but they still lose by 30.
LaSalle gave 'Nova a decent scare this season.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this, not the same fan I used to be.

But we played an honest schedule this year. Downgrading that wouldn't have made March more enjoyable. We played the teams we played. We had a mediocre team. We couldn't muster 20 wins. That's just how it goes sometimes.

There's really no reason to be confident of beating ANYONE on the road this year. We won two games (lol) away from home all year...And two shots away from having zero (loooooool).

Is there a small PA school right on the border? Get rid of the only playing in NY bs