play cupcakes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

play cupcakes

I am starting to really think that Dasher is absolutely correct when he said in another thread last night that the sanctions have hurt us more than we know.

He's right, they have.

Eh, I like the rivalry games. It's very short sighted to say change the entire schedule based on one year. Typically UCONN and Georgetown are better quality opponents. Now maybe those programs are in decline, and we should revisit the idea. However, there are other ways to beef up the schedule, like the mini-tournaments. There is always some uncertainty when the schedule is planned far in advance. However, all things being equal, I prefer the rivalry games over a random opponent who may be a bit stronger. It's good for the fans. It's good to preserve some history. We really only need 2-3 tough OOC games with the ACC this strong.

Is there a small PA school right on the border? Get rid of the only playing in NY bs

Put Duquesne, St. Francis, Penn and/or Drexel on the schedule. Philly and Pittsburgh.

I am starting to really think that Dasher is absolutely correct when he said in another thread last night that the sanctions have hurt us more than we know.
And that's something that absolutely might be true, but I've haven't seen any plausible theories as to how's and why's. There are restrictions that only two coaches can be on the road for recruiting - most of the tweets I see are that only Autry or GMac are out there (and not at the same time). They're not using their full allotment of scholarships and they're not even targeting or making enough offers compared to the number of openings they have. The one or two recruits that they missed on this season may (or certainly were) the result of shenanigans that have nothing to do with sanctions/penalties.

Jncuse has been on this for days
Our schedule WAS FINE.
We played two sub 500 Big East Teams at home. What the F are cupcakes?
They finished 8th and 9th in the Big East. We lost both of these games.
We lost to the 6th place American team at MSG. That is a cupcake.
We lost to the last place ACC team on the road.

OUR BLEEPING SCHEDULE DOESN'T NEED TO BE WATERED DOWN.

Our RIVALRY GAMES were against sub 500 squads. This is a pathetic excuse for fans of a supposedly elite program.

Like this post 20 times. I know we aren't an elite SU team right now, but for goodness sakes, 33 pt home loss to freaking St Johns, a blowout loss at BC. Scoring 50 freaking points against UConn? losing in the Dome to Gtown?? all inexcusable. BC alone cost us the tourney, no way at 11-7 in the ACC the dopes on the committee would have left us off.

Jncuse has been on this for days
Our schedule WAS FINE.
We played two sub 500 Big East Teams at home. What the F are cupcakes?
They finished 8th and 9th in the Big East. We lost both of these games.
We lost to the 6th place American team at MSG. That is a cupcake.
We lost to the last place ACC team on the road.

OUR BLEEPING SCHEDULE DOESN'T NEED TO BE WATERED DOWN.
Agree. Cuse hoops is the anti-cuse football. The schedule works. St. John's, Georgetown, Connecticut and BC should all have been wins. We lost them all. Yes, we beat BC at home, but that stretch was a killer. Add to that a few other missteps, and there you have it. Schedule is more than fine.

play ONE old big east team (nova, st johns, gtowns, uconn, etc) not 3, 1 acc/big 10 challenge, and maybe every other year do a preseason tourny. other than that ALL CUPCAKES. its obviously more important to rack up the win totals. and i would throw in a road game against a cupcake in nov/dec. didnt we play at canisius a few years ago?

the non conference scheduling is vitally important. we'd get abused for playing cupcakes or not leaving the state of ny till january but at least we were safely in the tournament every year.

You've got to play and beat some of those cupcakes on the road to gin up your RPI

Is there a small PA school right on the border? Get rid of the only playing in NY bs

Closest D-1 would be LaFayette or Lehigh

Can't play too many OOC games outside of the Dome in Nov/Dec until football gets better and resurrects the income. At least that is what I have heard.

play ONE old big east team (nova, st johns, gtowns, uconn, etc) not 3, 1 acc/big 10 challenge, and maybe every other year do a preseason tourny. other than that ALL CUPCAKES. its obviously more important to rack up the win totals. and i would throw in a road game against a cupcake in nov/dec. didnt we play at canisius a few years ago?

the non conference scheduling is vitally important. we'd get abused for playing cupcakes or not leaving the state of ny till january but at least we were safely in the tournament every year.
Three road cupcakes per season will take care of this situation happening again.

"They only won two road games!" Guess Syracuse should have played a schedule like USC: at #282 Oregon State, at #210 Washington, at #204 San Diego, at #163 Washington State, vs. #153 Wyoming (neutral) and at #126 Arizona State (which they lost).

I know we lost to #219 Boston College on New Year's Day. But that's the one and only road game against an opponent worse than #142. USC had FIVE.

If SU had five opportunities to beat an opponent at the level of BC on the road after New Year's Day, I like their chances that they would have been victorious in all of them.

Can't play too many OOC games outside of the Dome in Nov/Dec until football gets better and resurrects the income. At least that is what I have heard.
Maybe before the ACC saved us.

Why change anything if the selection criteria from year to year are not consistent? Think the Big East teams are more than nostalgia. Recruiting exposure in NYC and DC is the driving factor there. And why sacrifice a lucrative home date to play on the road in front of 5,000? To game an outdated metric that the committee has stated will be de-emphasized anyway? Road record was a convenient truth to rationalize a poor decision this year. Next year the rationalization may come down to uniform color.

Three road cupcakes per season will take care of this situation happening again.

"They only won two road games!" Guess Syracuse should have played a schedule like USC: at #282 Oregon State, at #210 Washington, at #204 San Diego, at #163 Washington State, vs. #153 Wyoming (neutral) and at #126 Arizona State (which they lost).

I know we lost to #219 Boston College on New Year's Day. But that's the one and only road game against an opponent worse than #142. USC had FIVE.

If SU had five opportunities to beat an opponent at the level of BC on the road after New Year's Day, I like their chances that they would have been victorious in all of them.

Both teams played 8 games against teams ranked 100-200 in the RPI.

USC went 7-1 vs teams 100-200.
Syracuse went 4-4 vs teams 100-200.

The issue was not scheduling. It was they executed better against the bad, but not terrible teams.
JMO.

Schedule was fine. It was perfectly set up. Some good teams but nothing too tough. Perfect for getting a newer team acclimated to one another and get some positive mojo going. Instead, they get crushed in a bunch of those games in places like Brooklyn and MSG which should be basically home games. Wisconsin game was over by H at the latest. It took too long for adjustments to be made. Coaches weren't reaching the players it seemed often as well. Too many times they looked clueless. Even in their last game. It's the whole system top to bottom.

Last edited:

Clearly a bridge too far to expect us to beat BC in Boston.

I mean, that's literally all it would've took.

One weakness I think our sched had this year was no exempt tourney. 3 neutral site games would have been very helpful.

We may have easily lost all 3, but this team could have slipped into the 7/8 game in an exempt tourney and picked up a win. Maybe even 2 with luck.

Ultimately though, it was about performance. We could all think of 10 different ways to game the sched and be prepared to be the worlds greatest bubble team, but should SU act that way? We should be planning for success and never being on the bubble in the first place.

We had our opportunities this year, but we weren't good and we missed them. Now we get the consequences.

It's not just the road record. It's the piss poor OOC record as well.

Both teams played 8 games against teams ranked 100-200 in the RPI.

USC went 7-1 vs teams 100-200.
Syracuse went 4-4 vs teams 100-200.

The issue was not scheduling. It was they executed better against the bad, but not terrible teams.

This is not a scheduling issue. It was a lack of execution issue on our part. JMO.
Since when was "record vs. 101-200" a category that the committee greatly values? I guess this is the first year. Perfect!

I guess that's more important than record vs. Top 25: USC 2-6, Syracuse 3-4. Or record vs. Top 26-50: USC had 0 games against teams 26-50, but they had 11 games against teams ranked 201+.

Four times this season while USC was playing creampuffs, Syracuse was playing teams between 26-50. You don't think that had something to do with each team's destination?

Last edited:
Darn right! Can't wait for that LSU game.

Oh wait, were you talking about hoops? ;)

ha! yeah, Eric, we always are at odds over the football OOC, nice to be on the same side about making hoops a more difficult one!

Since when was "record vs. 101-200" a category that the committee greatly values? I guess this is the first year. Perfect!

I guess that's more important than record vs. Top 25: USC 2-6, Syracuse 3-4. Or record vs. Top 26-50: USC had 0 games against teams 26-50, but they had 11 games against teams ranked 201+.

Four times this season while USC was playing creampuffs, Syracuse was playing teams between 26-50. You don't think that had something to do with each team's destination?

Our resume was better than USC. At the same time, it's sad that our fans bitch when an 18-14 team just needed an extra win or so yet lost to St John's, BC, U Conn, Gtown, Pitt and with it's life on the line came out flat against Miami in the first ACC tourney game. Frankly, USC and Cuse both should have been left out. Put a mid-major in there who won their regular season title and at least tried to schedule some tough OOC games.

We got snubbed the year we won at Canisius.

Those cu
Usually I find your takes very reasonable and I'm on board, but I just can't get with this. We didn't miss the tourney because of our schedule, we missed because we sucked this year.

UConn, St Johns and Georgetown all had sub-100 RPIs. These teams were cupcakes.

Those guys are anomalies to us since they know us so well. All 3 clearly have experienced success against SU. We are 3-7 against former Big East schools.