Playcalling... | Syracusefan.com

Playcalling...

BostonOrange

2nd String
is soooo overanalyzed on this board (and most boards). When we can block someone or pass it to a wide open receiver then maybe I'll worry about play calling.

is soooo overanalyzed on this board (and most boards). When we can block someone or pass it to a wide open receiver then maybe I'll worry about play calling.

Well said. All anyone that complains about plycalling knows is whether the play worked or not

...agreed, but good coaching leads to good execution...we had neither today

Agree somewhat. Just my opinion but a Seniority Louisville Team ran plays with precision we ran plays with utter hope.

Trying to get back in the second half throwing a few outlet passes in the backfield without blockers :bang:

I can think of maybe one play where we ran the ball or threw a outlet pass with two blockers all day. And it was with Bailey on that forth down conversion.

Today definitely felt more like a lack of execution day to me (and I'm sure many of you). Still, it seems to me that when our offense is going bad, we bunch up the formations even more often. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, and people that forgot more about football than I'll ever know are making those calls, but it drives me crazy nonetheless.

Louisville has been the best defense in the Big East this year. We won't play anyone like that the rest of the regular season, so we better not allow ourselves to be pushed around like that again.

enough of the fake pitch rollout to the TE - you with me there?

those UL defenders were clearly expecting it

The play calling would've been great if the plays we ran were working. They didn't. If something doesn't work after so many tries, you adjust.

The play calling would've been great if the plays we ran were working. They didn't. If something doesn't work after so many tries, you adjust.
yeah we should have tried passing it...or running it...or throwing it deep...or throwing it short. Oh wait we tried all that didn't we. It didn't work because we didn't block anyone, or because on the rare occasions we had time we missed wide open guys. I'm not saying the play calling is brilliant..but it is the least of our problems.

enough of the fake pitch rollout to the TE - you with me there?

those UL defenders were clearly expecting it
1. i was going to go back and rewatch our possessions and see if i could prove you wrong, but that would probably get me divorced, as well as prove that i am an even more massive loser than previously thought.
2. whenever we run that play i think of a game we played at bc years ago (i think the 4-8 coach p year). bc ran that play about 35 times. every time our de would bite inside and our lb wouldn't follow the te out into the flat. i think they went 35-35 for about 800 yards. thanks for the memories.

yeah we should have tried passing it...or running it...or throwing it deep...or throwing it short. Oh wait we tried all that didn't we. It didn't work because we didn't block anyone, or because on the rare occasions we had time we missed wide open guys. I'm not saying the play calling is brilliant..but it is the least of our problems.

Lots of problems today, but the inability to find a way to attack their defense was at the top. Beating the other teams defense is the OC's job. Today he failed miserably.

Great post !!!!

Last week Marrone and Hackett were the best playcallers in the country now once again this week there will be people calling for Hackett to be fired.

How many wide open receivers did Nassib miss. If he hits Chew or West for a TD the entire game changes but he didn't and the Cuse lost.

If you attended this weeks luncheon you knew Marrone was concerned about the Louisville defense because we don't have the talent at WR to get open in press man coverage. It's pretty simple that to see that we have struggled in every team that plays the same style of defense as Louisville. Expect to see the same defenssive schemes the rest of the season because its working.

Great post !!!!

Last week Marrone and Hackett were the best playcallers in the country now once again this week there will be people calling for Hackett to be fired.

How many wide open receivers did Nassib miss. If he hits Chew or West for a TD the entire game changes but he didn't and the Cuse lost.

If you attended this weeks luncheon you knew Marrone was concerned about the Louisville defense because we don't have the talent at WR to get open in press man coverage. It's pretty simple that to see that we have struggled in every team that plays the same style of defense as Louisville. Expect to see the same defenssive schemes the rest of the season because its working.
they did get open though. your 2nd to last paragraph conflicts with the last. i sure hope people don't look at van chews numbers today and think the guy disappeared

The one thing I will say is not so much the play calling but rather the game plan. Last week we saw a team ready to expose the 3-3-5 with the run and actually threw the ball downfield. Never did I really believe Nassib was going to throw the ball downfield today. The 1 yard dumps to the flats to or TEs are not going to scare anyone. Every time we throw the HB screen, it can be seen fro a mile away and so can the defense. It just seems like we focus on one area to attack a defense and either it works out (last week) or it blows up in our face (this week). Why we didn't adjust I have no idea. And the main criticism I have of Nassib (and this may be how he is coached) is that he really seems to stick with one option. Without the luxury of the game film or knowledge of the play called, it just doesn't appear that he actually makes a progression of his reads.

And obviously a lot of this has to do with whether the other receivers, starting with guys like Lemon, Chew, Graham and now West, are actually open downfield. Our blocking wasn't great today either but I think they gave him at least some time to make some throws.

The personal fouls are another story. Can't imagine it will be a fun week of practice. I hope these guys remember this game each time they go into a game for the balance of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom