Player deaths | Syracusefan.com

Player deaths

Ah, got it. Sorry, I misinterpreted your post.
I didn't make it clear. MY fault. He was a sr when I was a Jr. I remmeber when we had three games to go, and why I remember this I have no idea, he said it was nut cracking time. My floor hada great laugh about that.

Rich Cornwall, pg from the late 60’s.

Keith Hughes who transferred from SU to Rutgers after sitting behind DC and Billy Owens.

Scott Stapleton, if 67 counts as an early, tragic death.
Nephew of Jimmy Carter

Rodney Walker, was backup to DC, and Rony left after 14 games in 1986-87.

Fab Melo. :(
This one still shocks and saddens me. Out of the blue, and he was still a kid. Did they ever say what he died of? I assume it was a heart issue. So sad how his career went. He was a casualty of the whole Bernie Fine BS. If Bernie’s still there, he doesn’t have the problem with “paper gate”.

I didn't remember Bob Parker.
Big Bob Parker was a 6 foot 6 inch or thereabouts, I had a friend who said he was 6 foot tall and 6 foot wide, rebounding machine. He was quite husky but integral in the school's first final four season. Played when Roy Danforth ran the team.

Last edited:
Ernie Siebert was the roly-poly guy. Come to think of it, is he still with us?
Bob Parker was pretty athletic, but not so productive.

Bif Bob Parker was a 6 foot 6 inch or thereabouts, I had a friend who said he was 6 foot tall and 6 foot wide, rebounding machine. He was quite husky but integral in the school's first final four season. Played when Roy Danforth ran the team.
You must not have read up above. I was in school with Bob. What I didn't know was that he died.

He was a pretty solid player when he played.

Ernest Austin Jr., affectionately known as Little Ernie or Ernie, was born on May 7, 1947 to Mattie Williams and Ernest Austin, Sr. in Washington, DC. He was baptized at an early age at Isle of Patmos Baptist Church, which led to his faithful relationship with the Lord through many of life's trials. He departed this life peacefully on September 1, 2014.

Ernie attended Washington DC public schools during his primary years, then attended DeMatha Catholic High School. During his years at DeMatha , he made many lifelong friends as he pursued his passion for playing basketball. His passion led to multiple team championships, a 1966 1st Team All-Met honor, and a victory in the 1965 DeMatha vs. Power Memorial high school basketball game, which he considered the best game he ever played. After graduating from DeMatha, Ernie received a basketball scholarship to attend Syracuse University where he continued to excel in his passion for basketball, and where he received a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration.

No way there can be a program that has suffered more tragic deaths of former star players in the last 15-20 years than Syracuse

Pearl Washington
Louis Orr
Conrad McRae
Fab Melo
Winfred Walton

Sucks that they are all gone well before their time
I have no idea, but I think it is possible another program experienced a similar amount of loss in the same time period.

Ordinary People and American Gigolo cinematographer John Bailey too. Oh wait, wrong In Memorium thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom