Players asking for a cut of TV $$$ | Syracusefan.com

Players asking for a cut of TV $$$

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
300+ players from GT, Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona and Purdue signing a petition for a cut of TV revenue.

Perhaps they start paying some of the tuition costs, with their cuts.

If they were paid fair market value they could cover their tuition and have plenty of spending money left over...

If they were paid fair market value they could cover their tuition and have plenty of spending money left over...

Where do you draw the line? Shall we just call our leagues NFL-AAA?

High Schools are starting to be shown on TV...should the kids at the TX and FL Big Boy High Schools all get a cut too?

This is a slippery slope

Where do you draw the line? Shall we just call our leagues NFL-AAA?

High Schools are starting to be shown on TV...should the kids at the TX and FL Big Boy High Schools all get a cut too?

This is a slippery slope

Agreed it's a slippery slope, but telling players to just shut up and be happy with a scholie isn't the solution. I saw an article this morning that the NCAA is considering increasing the stipends players receive..what will probably happen is players at BCS level schools get a bigger stipend than at other levels - which makes sense because they have the revenues to afford it.

I know if I were a high-level student athlete like, say, Cam Newton, and I saw the University making millions off the football program - I'd be looking to get my cut, too. And if it violated some arbitrary rules set up by the NCAA, so be it. That is why the NCAA needs to address this, because otherwise this turns into who can cheat the best. And we may already be at that point (USC, Ohio St, Auburn...)

If we are heading toward paying the athletes then said payout should be dependent upon adequate grades for the semester. In other words, football players would receive the extra $$$ at the end of the semester only if their final grades were sufficient in the Fall semester.

Cheers,
Neil

And after that? Players' Union *(They already have an "Advocacy Group.") After that? Walk-outs and strikes. Lawyers. Negotiations. Individual contracts. Free Agency. Yee Hah!

Oh, and schools will start even more cuts to non-revenue sports, like wrestling, cross country, lacrosse (for most schools), volleyball, swimming, etc. Those kids won't get scholarship opportunities.

How many times do you hear ESPN advertise "watch kemba walker and uconn take on Ashton gibbs and Pitt," or something similar.

The networks advertise these kids. Conferences, colleges, the ncaa all.make money off of them. They should, at the very least, be allowed to trade on their own names and images. I don't know that they shod get a cut of tv money, but at least let them make money off their names in the open market place.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

What, don't the kentucky athletes allready get paid? greedy bitches.

This would RUIN college sports for me. I despise all pro sports.Money hungry whiney bitches.

This would RUIN college sports for me. I despise all pro sports.Money hungry whiney bitches.

I don't despise pro sports, nor do I think pro athletes are any more money hungry or whiny than anyone else in society.

But yes, paying college athletes would absolutely ruin college sports.

300+ players from GT, Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona and Purdue signing a petition for a cut of TV revenue.

Where does the hardball come in? Will the players just stop showing up for practice and games? They'll be kicked out of school. So then they are immediately nowhere, with an entire future immediately threatened. While the NCAA or Universities are left dealing with some fallout over missed games. Do the kids that are happy enough to get the free education stay and play? Are they then scabs?

Does the NFL get involved because they are losing their minor league system?

Lots of questions, could be fascinating to watch.

No way. baseball has got to be the most BORING sport ever invented, yet these arseholes are allways holding out fer more.Its a game for crying out loud. I say we switch the pay scale between pro sports players and our armed services.

I always enjoy reading articles like this within a week of writing another check to pay for my student loans. If I did not have student loans, I would be in an entirely different financial position than I am right now and could have afforded a larger house, nicer car, etc.

Football players and to a lesser extent basketball players also forget that the school or athletic department does not just sit on the money received from television. It is used to fund the non-revenue sports. Without such a windfall, I wonder how many opportunities would taken from other students.

That being said, I do not have a problem with the scholarships being increased to cover the true cost of attending a university. IIRC, the financial aid packet I received included a number which was to represent the true cost. Allow schools to use that number when setting scholarships.

No way. baseball has got to be the most BORING sport ever invented, yet these arseholes are allways holding out fer more.Its a game for crying out loud. I say we switch the pay scale between pro sports players and our armed services.

I say we let the free market set the compensation values. Seems like the free market works a lot bettr than the old Soviet command economy, not really sure why you'd want to try that out.

And I can live with a girl from an upper middle class family not getting a scholarship to play field hockey in front of friends and family if it means that the African-American athletes from poor families that make up the majority of football and basketball student athletes finally get something resembling fair compensation.

I say we let the free market set the compensation values. Seems like the free market works a lot bettr than the old Soviet command economy, not really sure why you'd want to try that out.

And I can live with a girl from an upper middle class family not getting a scholarship to play field hockey in front of friends and family if it means that the African-American athletes from poor families that make up the majority of football and basketball student athletes finally get something resembling fair compensation.
Huh? where did the african american nonsence come into this?AA's have EVERY available recourse as any one else in this country.What they do with it is up to them.Not sure how we got here.But its a bad place to be.People HAVE a CHOICE NOT TO BE POOR.What their choices are is their problem.black,white,brown,orange ,grey.Not sure what it has to do with anything.

When a TV network buys a sports package, they are not just buying a game -- or a collection of players performing in that game. They are buying the viewership/equity of a school a program and a conference. This has been developed over years. e.g. Some people watch SU basketball because of Melo even today...or because of Sherman Douglas...or because of JB. Or because they are SU alums. Or because they grew up in Syracuse. THis is the brand that SU has invested in over time,with both profit and loss over time. It's not just a commodity to be purchased and shared in now.

Huh? where did the african american nonsence come into this?AA's have EVERY available recourse as any one else in this country.What they do with it is up to them.Not sure how we got here.But its a bad place to be.People HAVE a CHOICE NOT TO BE POOR.What their choices are is their problem.black,white,brown,orange ,grey.Not sure what it has to do with anything.

Possibly because reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Do you disagree that the majorityof student athletes playing high level football and basketball are African-American? If so, thenyou apparently don't actually watch the games? Do you understand that they are currently "paid" vastly less than what they would make in an open market? Then apparently you don't understand economics (possible since you like command economies). The only choice that the athletes currently have is to cheat to get paid - which I honestly applaud the ones who do so for making. If nobody else will look out for their best interests, then they'll have to take care of business themselves.

Money Hungry Whiney Bitches?? You mean like the unirvisities that are ruining conferences in order to make more money? off of the very players that many refuse to pay?? interesting take

UMMMM,OK. but what does a bunch of money hungry whining pro athletes have to do with african americans? So yes,seems my reading comprehension is way off.

Money Hungry Whiney Bitches?? You mean like the unirvisities that are ruining conferences in order to make more money? off of the very players that many refuse to pay?? interesting take
i will take a free 200k( free) education anyday for playing a game.But thats just me.

Right, children born in poor families obviously choose that. Children in underfunded school districts with little hope of getting out obviously choose that. Seriously why can't kids at fowler just go to CBA ot FM.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Do you understand that they are currently "paid" vastly less than what they would make in an open market?

What open market? There is college and there is the NFL. Unless they are in the NFL, what minor football leagues are there to make money in?

I take a similar view though...if you don't like the free ride through college, go play football "on the open market". As far as I can tell, the value of a football player with a high school diploma and no professional league outside of the NFL to go to is about the same as that of any other kid with just a high school diploma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom