Players asking for a cut of TV $$$ | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Players asking for a cut of TV $$$

Nope, not really. When a school loses site of its primary mission...to educate...then yeah, they have sold their souls

How do you know they've lost site of their primary mission? Because they've found a way to maximize their abilities to fund their institutions?

Why does educating students and intelligently taking advantage of residing in a capitalist society have to be mutually exclusive? Where do you think the money is going?

How do you know they've lost site of their primary mission? Because they've found a way to maximize their abilities to fund their institutions?

Why does educating students and intelligently taking advantage of residing in a capitalist society have to be mutually exclusive? Where do you think the money is going?

When schools like SU are devoting sooooo many resources to things like raising funds to build a new football practice facility, one can rightfully claim that they may have lost site of their primary mission.

Now, I will accept that the insatiable drive to build the shiniest new facility, tricked out with the latest gizmos, in the hopes of catching the eye of an athletically talented 17 year old may not be mutally exclusive from also enhancing a school's educational facilities. But one can understand why the perception may be there, no?

We don't need a bunch of kindergarten teachers running the world.If you want to be payed to play SPORTS in school.Then pay the 200k to go to school.If any thing, these colleges are getting these kids names out there plus a free education.If they don't like it the way it is.Then Fu** them!!!!

When schools like SU are devoting sooooo many resources to things like raising funds to build a new football practice facility, one can rightfully claim that they may have lost site of their primary mission.

Now, I will accept that the insatiable drive to build the shiniest new facility, tricked out with the latest gizmos, in the hopes of catching the eye of an athletically talented 17 year old may not be mutally exclusive from also enhancing a school's educational facilities. But one can understand why the perception may be there, no?

Oh I definitely can understand how the perception exists but I just disagree with it, is all. A lot of people think money is evil, while I prefer to think it can be used for good - to enrich and enhance.

I'm skeptical of the image of college admistrators swimming in a giant vault of cash from television companies while belting out an evil "Mwu-hahahaha!" laugh.

Don't do it. Once you have opened that door, it will be abused and cheated by the factories like nobody's business. You will need a million new inspectors and regulators to monitor the new money streams and watch for chicanery... or else give up and admit that you have lost total control of the inmates.

If you can't pay the players at all, it is much much easier to spot situations that warrant scrutiny, since any smoke is suspicious if fire is proscribed.

Bingo. They can't have it both ways. Then you have to pay any student that brings money into the university.

When I did grad research at Michigan - we worked on projects that brought in more than SU's entire TV contract. I didn't have a full-ride, and I sure wasn't getting paid for bringing in that money. So why should these clowns?

When I did grad research at Michigan - we worked on projects that brought in more than SU's entire TV contract. I didn't have a full-ride, and I sure wasn't getting paid for bringing in that money. So why should these clowns?
You didn't have a full ride? What field were you in? I had a "full ride" through teaching (first year) and a grant that my adviser got for us starting 2nd year. (Cornell, Chemistry)

this conversation (nationally, not on this board) is an affront to everyone who paid to go to college. after a 5 year degree in architecture with no financial aid (4th of 5 kids to do so, from a blue collar family, not rich by any standards) to hear so many people say that a college education isn't worth it is absolutely offensive. is the system perfect? not by a long shot. but no one is forced to go to college, and there are roads to professional sports without college (albeit very few, and even fewer in football)

whatever happened to paying your dues? yes college athletes are advertised (the example given was kemba walker...who was under no obligation to be in college after his first year...or ever for that matter) which leads to exposure, which leads to contract negotiations...

look at the ridiculous contracts athletes negotiate before ever doing anything in the pros (jamarcus russel?)...that more than makes up for their "suffering" through college (which btw, by definition is, "a fantastical world with no real worries/responsibilities, where you are shielded from the real world throughout your time there" <- just look at the occupy groups, they have no concept of the real world)

and we want to extend that sense of entitlement beyond what it already is?

tangential thought:
does anyone else wonder if the breakdown of the regulations = the breakdown of the ncaa (arbitrary or not) = no reason for college athletes to be college athletes, why wouldn't they just set up a system similar to the MLB for the NFL, outside of academia?

You didn't have a full ride? What field were you in? I had a "full ride" through teaching (first year) and a grant that my adviser got for us starting 2nd year. (Cornell, Chemistry)

I wasn't going for a PhD, was in a master's program - didn't TA or teach.

tangential thought:
does anyone else wonder if the breakdown of the regulations = the breakdown of the ncaa (arbitrary or not) = no reason for college athletes to be college athletes, why wouldn't they just set up a system similar to the MLB for the NFL, outside of academia?

The colleges are the brand. The block S, Otto, Roll Tide, Gator chomp, Clemson running down the hill - these traditions are worth billions that you can't replicate by setting up a true minor league professional system.

Oh I definitely can understand how the perception exists but I just disagree with it, is all. A lot of people think money is evil, while I prefer to think it can be used for good - to enrich and enhance.

I'm skeptical of the image of college admistrators swimming in a giant vault of cash from television companies while belting out an evil "Mwu-hahahaha!" laugh.

But that's not the point. What I said has nothing to do with money being evil. It has everything to do with priorities. Should an educational institution be placing such a high priority on funding the construction of expensive athletic training facilities? Again, it may be done independent of also placing a high priority on funding the construction of expensive academic facilities, or it may not, hence the question being asked.

Personally, I think that *if* a university is going to sink so much money into athletic facilities than the university should have a School of Athletics just like a School of Communications, or a School of Business. Putting aside the argument over paying athletes, I do believe strongly that letting kids major in athletics should be a viable choice.

My wife went to SU to major in music. Music was not considered an extracurricular the way sports are at SU, nor should it be. So why can't a kid who's being recruited to play football at SU be able to major in athletics? Make it just like a liberal arts eductaion -- give him a core of 30-40 credits that must be earned in the School of Athletics along with credits that have to be earned in other disciplines.

Guess I'm veering off topic, sorry.

Gotcha.

One semester I got out of teaching by volunteering to be the official note taker for general chem. I sat through the lectures and took notes, then cleaned them up after class and submitted them. Somewhere in that building is a binder with my exquisite notes for that semester's offering. Beat the heck out of grading exams and homework for that class, what a nightmare.

I have always loved this article by Jay Paterno.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...s-theyre-already-getting-a-great-deal-766175/

These scholarship athletes get quite enough as it is. A living stipend I can handle them getting, but nothing else(a share of TV revenue! Get real). How can these kids, not all mind you, say they are hurting for cash? Can't eat or get clothes, yet when you see the pictures they post of their cars, TVs, new shoes galore, clothes, etc, on twitter or facebook, where is that money coming from?

All this is gonna do is make things get even more out of control. Some schools will not be able to handle it, and then they will have to discontinue some or even all sports programs. I can't see any good into paying these kids anymore than what they are receiving now.

You know what college is REALLY ABOUT!!?EDUCATION!!!!IN THE END. its all about education.I could care less if these football players learning finger painting ever go anywhere.This frigging country is going so far down the tubes.Last thing i care about is if some 18 year old kid catching a football is getting paid enough to make up for his 200k free education.

Pretty amazing comment to me. You can totally careless about their wellbeing -- However, you spend hours a day on the forum talking about them and the team that they play for and the university they represent... but you could careless about them, their education and if they are missing out. They are there for your entertainment only right? But if they try to get something that is meaninful to THEM (again, many don't care for the education...) then it's all bs.

The colleges are the brand. The block S, Otto, Roll Tide, Gator chomp, Clemson running down the hill - these traditions are worth billions that you can't replicate by setting up a true minor league professional system.

i realize that, but they aren't worth billions to the athletes...that's my point, not that the athletics department would break off, obviously they're not going to knowingly destroy their "brand"

Pretty amazing comment to me. You can totally careless about their wellbeing -- However, you spend hours a day on the forum talking about them and the team that they play for and the university they represent... but you could careless about them, their education and if they are missing out. They are there for your entertainment only right? But if they try to get something that is meaninful to THEM (again, many don't care for the education...) then it's all bs.
Once again. My words come out different than whats in my head.One of these days i shall remedy that.

The big schools do want this to happen though.

Just look at Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma etc. yearly athletic budget ($150 million +). Now look at what Syracuse has.

If athletes are paid or allowed to have their jerseys/etc sold on the "open market" (i.e. bought up by boosters and thrown in the trash), guess what happens to schools like Syracuse? We won't be competing for a national championship in either bball or fball ever again. All the top recruits will go to those big schools with big donors.

There is a reason why the U.S. government regulates monopolies. NCAA serves its purpose.

Also there is no draft in college like in the NFL. How are you going to have schools compete in recruiting at all if athletes are paid? The same 4 schools will play for national championship every year in both money making sports.

but no one is forced to go to college, and there are roads to professional sports without college (albeit very few, and even fewer in football)

why wouldn't they just set up a system similar to the MLB for the NFL, outside of academia?

The first line underscores the dilema. The NFL and NBA use the colleges for their farm systems and the colleges make big bucks and get big advertising by using those athletes. Sure atheltes can try to make it as free agents by avoiding the system. Is that what you would advise? There should be a minor league system in football and basketball the way there is in baseball and hockey. That way the kids could pursue their chosen careers and get paid. But this way, they don't get paid- except in those scholarships which have value only to scholars.

Student Athletes should not be paid! Let us call a living expense what it is, a paycheck. Right now the NCAA has its hand full trying to regulate college sports. Adding another layer to this mess will only create more grey areas. Take your scholarship, do what you want with your degree... and if your good enough play professional sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom